"To Be Announced" On EPG

GigEm

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 14, 2010
Texas
Hello, I had Time Warner Cable installed a couple of weeks ago. Cable Box, no DVR. Since that time, I've never been able to search or use the Guide past 1 day from the current. Right now, in fact, I can only see programs for the next 3 hours in the guide. After that, it reads "To Be Announced".

I called Tech Support, and they had me reset the cable box and they "sent a signal" and told me it should gradually start to update. However, it's now been 8 or 9 hours, and nothing has changed.

I've got an appointment for Tuesday for the guy to check the box, but both boxes do the same thing, so I can't imagine it would be a problem with the box.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

Thanks

Hello, I had Time Warner Cable installed a couple of weeks ago. Cable Box, no DVR. Since that time, I've never been able to search or use the Guide past 1 day from the current. Right now, in fact, I can only see programs for the next 3 hours in the guide. After that, it reads "To Be Announced".

I called Tech Support, and they had me reset the cable box and they "sent a signal" and told me it should gradually start to update. However, it's now been 8 or 9 hours, and nothing has changed.

I've got an appointment for Tuesday for the guy to check the box, but both boxes do the same thing, so I can't imagine it would be a problem with the box.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

Thanks

It is more likely a switched digitial video issue in your area, as I find it hard to believe that you would have two bad boxes.

It is more likely a switched digitial video issue in your area, as I find it hard to believe that you would have two bad boxes.
Thanks very much for the answer. If the problem is of that nature, that probably translates to "no guide for Mike", right?

I would completely unplug your receiver for 5 mins and then plug it back in. As it boots up you will see the progress on the stb receiver window. If after that you still don't it should be either signal problem on your line or in the share digitial video in your neighborhood. Keep on them to correct the problem.

Thanks a lot for all your help. I've done the 5 minutes reset thing, and it didn't help, so when they come out tomorrow, I'll let them know I've researched the issue and tell them what I learned from you.

Thanks a million. Now I won't have to go through several new cable boxes without results.

Thanks very much. apollog. I've checked all the connections inside, and all are fine. Maybe the loose connection is outside.

The guy is coming out today. I'll update ya'll on what I find out.

Last edited:
I wonder if there is a one way splitter somewhere in the house preventing upstream communication from his box to the head end. The box probably has to initiate communications to get the full guide.

I wonder if there is a one way splitter somewhere in the house preventing upstream communication from his box to the head end. The box probably has to initiate communications to get the full guide.
Hi, thanks for the suggestion. I had a switcher in the house on one of my boxes, but I took it off this morning, and the guide on both boxes still acts up. But maybe there's a one way switcher outside. I'll mention that to the tech, along with "switched digital video issue" and "loos connection possibility".

Thanks again, everyone!

Well, the techs left.

They tightened the little cable that connects at both ends to the cable box. I thought it was alreday tight, but they used a wrench. Then they went outside and made sure all those were tight.

Then they went into some configuration screen and confirmed that the boxes were finding the IP address. Then he had the IT office reset everything.

Before he left, he told me that it should take up to 24 hours to totally update and told me that I should always leave the cable box on (although the lady on the phone had told me it didn't matter).

I reckon that didn't fix the issue, but we'll soon see.

I'll keep you all updated. Thanks again!

UPDATE:

Still not updating, almost 24 hours after the tech visit. I will call again. If they can't get this fixed, I'll suggest they remove my boxes and the fees for those boxes so that I can get a Tivo subscription so I can get a working guide.

UPDATE:

Still not updating, almost 24 hours after the tech visit. I will call again. If they can't get this fixed, I'll suggest they remove my boxes and the fees for those boxes so that I can get a Tivo subscription so I can get a working guide.

Before you rush into that, take a look at my threads about trying to get TIVO installed on TWC. Still not a solved issue after multiple visits and well over a month of fooling around.

Wow, thanks for the warning on the TIVO issues.

I have no idea what I'll do if they don't get the guide issue fixed.

UPDATE

Just wanted to update ya'll. Still no guide updating. They are coming back tomorrow. I don't hold out any hope whatsoever that it will fixed. Anywho, got my eye on a $49.99 Series 2 Tivo from a local Electronics store.

One more update...for the first time, I was watching a TV show on demand, it stopped, and I got an error message saying it couldn't continue. I would think that it's due to teh same thing that causes the guide issue. They're coming out again Monday; they were going to today, but I needed to postpone.

Call back and tell them you need them to test signal strength. Sounds like you might need an amplifier.
I will, thanks. I had TWC until June, when I had to discontinue for financial reasons. I didn't have any problems during that time, but maybe something has changed. I'll let you know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)