To DirecTV or not DirecTV (Many questions)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

HDugan

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
I have been with Cablevision for some years not and I am assessing a change to DirecTV. I like DirecTV right now for HD-Sci-Fi.

1. I live in zip code 07840. What slots (or specifically degrees of the sky) will I need to see for all programming with the new HD channels.

2. I use a cell phone. will I need a landline for DirecTV?

3. How stable is the HD-DVR DirecTV offers and how much recording time does it offer?

4. Will each DVR need 2 cables for dual tuner function?

5. Adding extra premium channels used to scale down the price. They all look the same price now for additions...true?

6. I have an old ACTIVE existing account at my mother's house with a basic SD receiver...she doesn't use it. When (if) I transfer it to my residence what benefits may be available? I will need a new HD-DVR.

7. I put away an old DirecTIVO that had a lifetime account. Will that DVR service still be active?
I understand the DirecTVHD-DVR will have a fee.

I can help a bit but only been using Hr20 for a month and only on the new HD channels

2. the hr20 doesn't need a phoneline. Except I think for PPV ordering with remote.

3. rated for 50HD hours. I've only had mine a month but except for the newest update locking up my machine, I'm pretty happy. Since you haven't had HDtivo, you wont be missing certain features and will probably like the hr20 just fine. to me, just getting all the new channels makes it well worth getting the new unit. External drive can be added but it's separate from the internal, both not available at the same time

4. right now each unit does need 2 lines. There is a single line coming but not out in the public domain.

5 i pay 100 for the highest package so i can't help you there. I do know it's 10 extra for HD today and 5 more in December for a small batch of HD that is now included.

6/7. I 'think' since you have lifetime still active, it's tied to your account so you should be good to go there. I don't know about the movers connection etc and except for some deals that may have recently dried up (i got my hr20 for 19.95) am not aware of anymore.

sorry not more help. Good luck and enjoy the new HD.

I like DirecTV right now for HD-Sci-Fi.
Understand that there are only two or three programs available in HD on SciFi.
1. I live in zip code 07840. What slots (or specifically degrees of the sky) will I need to see for all programming with the new HD channels.
The standard behemoth dish will give you 99W, 101W, 103W, 110W and 119W. Your look angles will be from 214 (true North) to 236 (true North).
2. I use a cell phone. will I need a landline for DirecTV?
By the letter of the agreement, yes. In practice, no.
4. Will each DVR need 2 cables for dual tuner function?
If you don't require WMBC, you can get away with two cables.
5. Adding extra premium channels used to scale down the price. They all look the same price now for additions...true?
The scale is graduated still. It starts at $12 for the first (or $14 for HBO) and rolls down to $8.
6. I have an old ACTIVE existing account at my mother's house with a basic SD receiver...she doesn't use it. When (if) I transfer it to my residence what benefits may be available? I will need a new HD-DVR.
This is a very bad idea. By using an existing account, you won't be able to avail yourself of new subscriber offers which are typically much better than upgrade offers.
7. I put away an old DirecTIVO that had a lifetime account. Will that DVR service still be active?
No.
I understand the DirecTVHD-DVR will have a fee.
Your account will have a DVR fee. It is not currently a per unit fee.

Understand that there are only two or three programs available in HD on SciFi.The standard behemoth dish will give you 99W, 101W, 103W, 110W and 119W. Your look angles will be from 214 (true North) to 236 (true North).By the letter of the agreement, yes. In practice, no.If you don't require WMBC, you can get away with two cables.The scale is graduated still. It starts at $12 for the first (or $14 for HBO) and rolls down to $8.This is a very bad idea. By using an existing account, you won't be able to avail yourself of new subscriber offers which are typically much better than upgrade offers.No.Your account will have a DVR fee. It is not currently a per unit fee.

There are 4 shows in HD on SciFi not including their random choices on the movies.

Don't listen to Harshness's claim that the new dish is a behemoth. It is larger than the 3 lnb types, but it is hardly huge. He whines and complains about almost everything.

Big caveat: the HDTivo will still work, but only for legacy channels. None of the newly launched HD channels will be visible on the Tivo. You must have a new MPEG4 box (H20/21 or HR20/21) to see those new channels.

FYI, the latest CE release for the HR20-700 D* is adding the ability for the STB to 'call home' via an internet connection, so the phone line for remote PPV ordering may also be going away in the future.

No OTA on HR21!

If OTA is required for you then stay way from D*. It seems that for new installs they are only shipping the new unit HR-21 which DOES NOT have OTA input. I have called many time to complain about that but all they say is "we don't determine what our installers will bring, blah blah blah". And we can't send you an HR20 from here also cause we don't know if that's what we have. A lot of bulls*(*&*&T!

If OTA is required for you then stay way from D*. It seems that for new installs they are only shipping the new unit HR-21 which DOES NOT have OTA input. I have called many time to complain about that but all they say is "we don't determine what our installers will bring, blah blah blah". And we can't send you an HR20 from here also cause we don't know if that's what we have. A lot of bulls*(*&*&T!

I agree that no ota is bad, but the fact is that Directv is not in the ota business. They are in the satellite business.

Which is quite silly since for the majority of those people who can get OTA that is a big plus or deciding factor to NOT get Dtv. Now, I may have been confused but I think the installer may have said something about a software upgrade in the HR21 that would allow it to do an internal split of the one sate connection and then the second one could be used for OTA??? Maybe I was confused.

I agree that no ota is bad, but the fact is that Directv is not in the ota business. They are in the satellite business.

You could always go "buy" the HR-20 from BB or CC.
D* still sends the HR-20 out, i think its depends on the region and the supply. The HR-20 isnt going anywhere anytime soon, so dont let that bother you.

Which is quite silly since for the majority of those people who can get OTA that is a big plus or deciding factor to NOT get Dtv. Now, I may have been confused but I think the installer may have said something about a software upgrade in the HR21 that would allow it to do an internal split of the one sate connection and then the second one could be used for OTA??? Maybe I was confused.

I think the installer was very confused. If there is no ota tuner in the unit, no software upgrade can change that.

Let's not forget that many if not most of us have ota tuners in our televisions.

DirecTV has the best HD content now, and has the DirecTV On Demand video (mostly free for programming) BETA with a compatible Internet connection and router.

This could change down the road, with companies like Verizon, AT&T, Dish Network if they add the same quantity which I feel they can do at some point if they feel there is enough demand by customers and it is profitable.

It's getting very competitive and hard to decide, do all the research you can.

It's getting hard to find it at BB! I checked for store based on my zip code and only found 2 like 70 miles away with the HR20! And I don't really want to pay 299 for it. I'd rather DTV replaced it for me.Not sure why DTv is being so annoying with this though.

You could always go "buy" the HR-20 from BB or CC.
D* still sends the HR-20 out, i think its depends on the region and the supply. The HR-20 isnt going anywhere anytime soon, so dont let that bother you.

It's getting hard to find it at BB! I checked for store based on my zip code and only found 2 like 70 miles away with the HR20! And I don't really want to pay 299 for it. I'd rather DTV replaced it for me.Not sure why DTv is being so annoying with this though.
Like i said, i think its regional(although i have nothing to back that up). Plenty of them around here though.

Like i said, i think its regional(although i have nothing to back that up). Plenty of them around here though.

Perhaps it is regional. We received our installation last week and the installer used a H20 as our high definition receiver.

Even though they are in the "satellite business" there is no reason to not include it. They "should" be in the "make there customers happy" business. What reason is there to not include it except for two reasons: 1) they plan on rolling out local channels in EVERY market or 2) there just being cheap S.O.B's. If I had D* I would be especially frustrated since it could be found on the HR20 and now they take it away?? Besides who wants to switch inputs on there tv just to go to locals when it could very easily be in your guide.

Status
Please reply by conversation.