To DVI or not DVI that is the question........

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

wtped

Original poster
Mar 13, 2004
Westchester, NY
Started VOOM Saturday 3/13 with a DVI hook-up (all other inputs taken by Directv & Progressive Scan DVD)to my Toshiba 57HDX82. I expected this to be much better than component. Was this a bad assumption?

The HD looks good. The SD....well to be honest Directv SD is better. This was a disappointment because I hoped to drop Directv and go with VOOM all together. Could the poor SD (I notice video tearing on graphics that I never see with Directv) be a function of the DVI?

Watched Bravo HD via Voom last night with the Goo Goo Dolls taped live in Alaska. The picture was excellent but the audio blew me away. It must have been 5.1 Dolby. (By the way the Toshiba has ecellent audio without a seperate system).

What expereinces have others had with Voom/DVI/and SD channels?

For me the PQ is better through component than DVI -- although I think it is an issue with my Sony TV. Through DVI the picture is slightly washed out.

My SD channels look pretty good -- better than Comcast. I do get the occasional tear on reds and whites on a few channels (E!, Comedy Central). I hope that Voom is working on this issue though.

Use DVI, the trasmission isn't the problem, it is the device trasmitting the signal that is almost always the problem. DVI kepps the signal Pure digital when it passes through the the wire, component converts it to analog to pass through the wire and back to digital at the other end. less conversions makes for a better, sharper picture.

The DVI to my PJ is better with HD, SD is better switching to 480i and letting the PJ do the upconvert. Haven't tried S-video yet. Doing a direct comparison between the VOOM STB on DVI and my Dish 6000 on component, the DVI is much crisper, truer in color and more defined.

Was told by a reliable source inside VOOM that there is an upgrade (in fact 2) upgrades coming down the pipe to address the "washed out" look on some DVI connections. Look for one hitting tonight ---- Monday 15th. I know my connection looks much cleaner using component at this time.

Andy

Crypto said:
Was told by a reliable source inside VOOM that there is an upgrade (in fact 2) upgrades coming down the pipe to address the "washed out" look on some DVI connections. Look for one hitting tonight ---- Monday 15th. I know my connection looks much cleaner using component at this time.

Andy

Andy,

how we will know if it hit us. A software upgrade?

mini1 said:
Use DVI, the trasmission isn't the problem, it is the device trasmitting the signal that is almost always the problem. DVI kepps the signal Pure digital when it passes through the the wire, component converts it to analog to pass through the wire and back to digital at the other end. less conversions makes for a better, sharper picture.

Using DVI, CRT based displays must convert the digital (DVI) to analog in the display. Using component the conversion is done in the STB. Whichever does the best conversion wins.

With digital display devices (LCD, Plasma, LCos, DLP, etc.), a conversion of some form nearly always takes place at the display device since it must change the format out of the STB to the native format of the display. Since very few digital displays under $100000.00 have a native 1920 X 1080 format and most people are using 1080i out of the box, a conversion is obviously needed. DVI would seem to have an advantage here but that is not always the case.
Remember though that you may have to adjust brightness, color, contrast, gamma, etc. differently for each input.

When properly adjusted, I can see no difference between DVI and component inputs of my Sanyo PLV-70 on a 120" screen. On my CRT based display, the component inputs seem to have a slight advantage, but it is very subtle.

I recommend trying both and judging for yourself.

Crypto said:

Andy

Oh good deal. I'll check out my DVI connection tomorrow.

I have both hooked up. My Mitsubishi won't put my DVI in a PIP/POP window so I have component hooked up for that. I have the DVI hooked up for quality. I have compared them side by side and DVI is definantly a lot more crisp, but the component has better colors and the black is darker. I prefer the sharp display over the better color though.

Who supplies the DVI cable

I'm about to get installed Sat. Does the DVI cable come with the HDTV receivers or must I go buy one?

Last night I compared to DVI and component video inputs, DVI picture quality by far much better softer and smoother, colors are a little dull but the quality is so much better. I would stick with DVI for now.

Originally posted by desidoc
Last night I compared to DVI and component video inputs, DVI picture quality by far much better softer and smoother, colors are a little dull but the quality is so much better. I would stick with DVI for now.

Same here...DVI looks much better but I did not notice the color wash out!!!

My cable box is connected to the tv via Monster RGB component cables & my voom box is connected via Monster DVI cable. I used the Discovery channel to compare PQ on each piece of equipement. I have good signal strength satellite, but the picture looks alot better on the cable system. Satellite has a good picture, but it looks tinted. The colors on satellite are not as vibrant as they are on cable. I'm still keeping the service though.

Peace- R

PQ gains from DVI are typically experienced on devices with bitmapped images, i.e. digital projectors/LCD/Plasma panels.

PQ variations can be from the source, the quality of cable, sunspots (Ok...so I just threw that one in there :) )

Lob

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)