To quick to "move" ?

chedv

Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
Too quick to "move" ?

I am getting Dish Network installed this Saturday. I would like to "move" to Chicago to get locals in HD. How long should I wait until I call dish and "move" to Chicago?

Also, I ordered the HD DVR. Will I most likely get the VIP 722 or the 622?

Thanks

Last edited:
I've been known to move right away... :)

Anyway, since I don't know your location, make sure you understand, Standard Definition channels for Chicago are on a spot beam, unless you fall within that beam, you won't get them.

HD is on 129, so if HD is all you want, should work.

I've been pondering a "move" to Chicago too. Since WGN wouldn't be available on channel 9 because of the spotbeam issue, would it still be on 239 like the rest of the country gets it? Or is 239 "blacked out" in Chicago?

I've been pondering a "move" to Chicago too. Since WGN wouldn't be available on channel 9 because of the spotbeam issue, would it still be on 239 like the rest of the country gets it? Or is 239 "blacked out" in Chicago?

Don't forget that there's the WGN local version on channel 9 in Chicago and then the Superstation version that's national. There are some differences in programming one of them being that some of the sports programming isn't on the Superstation while it is on the local version.

Don't forget that there's the WGN local version on channel 9 in Chicago and then the Superstation version that's national. There are some differences in programming one of them being that some of the sports programming isn't on the Superstation while it is on the local version.

Rad,

So are you saying that Superstation WGN on 239 is still available if I "move" to Chicago? Since I wouldn't be on the spotbeam to get the local channel 9, I just want to confirm that 239 isn't blacked out in the Chicago DMA.

There has to be a ton of people that have "moved" to Chicago that could confirm this one way or the other.

Thank you!

Sorry, can't answer that, just wanted to make sure that you knew about the different programming between the two.

I knew a girl that used to work for them and she said it was quite obvious that many people were "moving" for a particular sports team or network and that, as long as the bill was paid, they just processed the move. I heard of somebody (and I think I heard it on this board) moving three times in one night to keep track of one of the hurricanes. Of course, they were within the spot beam. (I wouldn't recommend moving three times in one afternoon). I'm glad somebody asked the question about the national version of WGN being available on 239 if you move to Chicago, though. Very useful information for me.

Cade

I've been known to move right away... :)

Anyway, since I don't know your location, make sure you understand, Standard Definition channels for Chicago are on a spot beam, unless you fall within that beam, you won't get them.

HD is on 129, so if HD is all you want, should work.

Check again. The main standard definition locals are CONUS and the HD locals are CONUS on 129 of course.

I am getting Dish Network installed this Saturday. I would like to "move" to Chicago to get locals in HD. How long should I wait until I call dish and "move" to Chicago?

Also, I ordered the HD DVR. Will I most likely get the VIP 722 or the 622?

Thanks
youll get the 622 cause the 722 is considered an enhanced hd dvr

Depending on who does the install he might get a 722. Tomorrow I have a w/o that calls out for 2 622's. Our office doesn't have any so I will be installing 2 722's because they are now interchangeable. Lucky customer.

Depending on who does the install he might get a 722. Tomorrow I have a w/o that calls out for 2 622's. Our office doesn't have any so I will be installing 2 722's because they are now interchangeable. Lucky customer.
very, cause when we do the dishn it up we charge an extra 50.00 for the 722, that also applies to the 522's and the 625's

yeah, when i signed up in september they gave me a 722.

Cancel that order and call a local retailer. Tell him you insist on the 722 over the 622 and he'll make sure it happens. With DISH fulfillment installations, it'll be hit or miss. Just depends if they got 622s or 722s that day.

I work for a retailer and mostly all we put in are 722s on new accounts.

can I jump in here.
I'm liking the idea of "moving". What would I lose if I move from St Louis and here's what I have:
I receive HD locals OTA through the 722 and of course through Dish. I would like to "move" to Phoenix or Denver for mountain time. Would I get Phoenix or Denver's HD locals? If so I would suspect that I would still get STL HD locals via OTA and it would remain on my EPG. Would I lose my RSN? and get Phoenix or Denver's RSN?
My setup:
129, 118, 110, 119

can I jump in here.
I'm liking the idea of "moving". What would I lose if I move from St Louis and here's what I have:
I receive HD locals OTA through the 722 and of course through Dish. I would like to "move" to Phoenix or Denver for mountain time. Would I get Phoenix or Denver's HD locals? If so I would suspect that I would still get STL HD locals via OTA and it would remain on my EPG. Would I lose my RSN? and get Phoenix or Denver's RSN?
My setup:
129, 118, 110, 119

Phoenix won't work unless you live in AZ since they are spotbeamed. Denver locals SD and HD are CONUS. As far as I know you'll still get your locals via OTA. You'll get the RSN for Denver or whatever area you go to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)