To rotor? To CM3671?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
I live in a townhouse and use a CM3010 with internal amp. Fixed position. Works great, except WMPT 22 comes in poorly.

I am moving about a mile away to a bi-level home with a few large trees, not many. 22015. The house sits about 50 feet or so lower than the townhouse. I'll need VHF, FM & UHF. Some local digital stations will revert to VHF at the transition. Most of the stations I want are in the 51-57 degree arc, about 15 or so miles away, same as at the townhouse, so a fixed position antenna might work fine. But I sometimes watch stations at 33 degrees or 230 degrees, about 7 & 14 miles away. These usually work reasonably well. Another station is 3 miles away at 283 degrees, and is of little interest to me.

But I am somewhat interested in the analog station WMPT channel 22 Annapolis, 40 miles away at 76 degrees, 5,000 kW. Hopefully they will up their digital station (42) power, currently at 150 kW, but right now it doesn't even show on antennaweb for me. And they list that as their full power. I'd love to pull that channel in. If I could pull in Hagerstown, that would be great, too. I consider MD public TV superior to VA public TV. But we're still talking about only an hour or 2 a week, 3 tops.

I've considered the CM3671 with 7777 & the CM rotor and 10 ft mast. But that is one massive antenna. Since we are moving to a new (1977) home, my wife will likely not object, but WAF is definitely important. I could consider a CM3677 or CM3679, with or without a rotor- or their Winegard equivalents. I figure I'd better improve on the CM3010, considering the house is lower, and maybe get analog 22 better.

Would any of these antennas likely pick up WMPT-DT, or at least WMPT analog? If that's not reasonably assured, then there's no point in my considering a rotor or huge antenna. The cost and trouble of rotors may be more than it's worth to get WMPT.

One other concern- my JVC HDTV scans for digital channels and will not allow you to enter a channel to add to the list. Not sure about the other ATSC tuners I have. So I'd have to scan in one direction for the bulk of the stations, and plan my antenna moves and maybe rescan. But I can just use the ATSC tuner in my Dish ViP622, which I think allows manual entry of channels. How do other people deal with this problem of needing to scan in channels many degrees apart?

For your local market suggest the winegard hd 7082p (110') with the winegard hdp 269 preamp. The next size up would be the hd7084P (131") if you are interested. The cm 7777 preamp will have too much gain for your location. The rotor would be your decision.

The enclosed picture is the combination mentioned above which I installed a few weeks ago. There is no rotor since all the stations are on one hill a few degrees apart. In your case a rotor is recommended to receive all the stations in your market.

For the out of market stations my suggestion would be the winegard hd8200p with hdp 269 preamp and rotor. I prefer the winegard over the cm3671. I compared the performance of both antennas last summer and the hd8200p worked alittle better.

The analog station WMPT channel 22 Annapolis, 40 miles away at 76 degrees should come in fine with the hd8200P. But you will definately need a rotor to fine tune. The digital probably will not be received but you will not know till you try. I was watching stations this evening at 55 miles with no problem. Mounting higher will improve signal.

If you are interested in decent fm reception, I suggest a separate fm antenna mounted below the combo. Radio shack sells a decent 6' antenna for about $25. I use a separate fm antenna below my hd8200P at home (Wade fm-9 see picture below which is about 9 '...the winegard makes a better one, the HD6065P and there are others).

In order to scan all channels you need an adequate signal. Some tuners allow you to enter the digital channel from the remote though.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...kw=fm+antenna&kw=fm+antenna&parentPage=search

Attachments

• P1010040.JPG
    P1010040.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 185
  • P1010009.JPG
    P1010009.JPG
    11.9 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
Well, things have changed. We terminated the contract mentioned in post 1 and have bought a home about 4.5 miles away. I suspect it is a bit higher in elevation, I'll have to check that later. Antennaweb shows more possible stations to be received there, including both analog and digital WMPT.

So- I plan now to get the rotor and amp, to maximize my chances of getting both WMPT stations. Or would the amp overpower my local station reception?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)