To the new resident Dish TSR's - Please do something to fix the loud audio on commercials.

The biggest problem with the loud commercials are with the commercials INSERTED by Dish in the local avail. spots on the cable networks. PureSleep.com and Hughes Net are by far the loudest. So these are definitely commercial which Dish DOES CONTROL THE LEVEL.

Any measurement of the VU levels is worthless. The difference is in the sound pressure level produced by the speakers in the room with the viewer. The commercials DISH NETWORK INSERTS during the local avails. are, at the very least, 12-15 db louder than the programs on the channels they are inserted over. The INSERTED commercials BY DISH NETWORK during the local avails are at least three times louder than the commercials that originate from the network.

So to say Dish has no control over the volume of the commercials is an outright lie or at the very least, a complete misunderstanding of the issue at hand!

As to the "auto leveling" feature, it is worthless to me. I already have an auto-leveling function on my audio system which I don't use. Why? Because it affects the dynamic range of the programs! I don't want to affect the dynamic range of the programs. I just don't want the commercials to be significantly louder (4-5 times louder) than the LOUDEST EXPLOSIONS on any of these movies.

Just make sure to visit PureSleep DOT COM!!!

On my 722k, the volume leveling feature is there, but it has no effect on the hughes.net commercial that aired on channel 193 HD 12/31/2010 @~14:15 CT.

As to the "auto leveling" feature, it is worthless to me. I already have an auto-leveling function on my audio system which I don't use. Why? Because it affects the dynamic range of the programs! I don't want to affect the dynamic range of the programs. I just don't want the commercials to be significantly louder (4-5 times louder) than the LOUDEST EXPLOSIONS on any of these movies.

Exactly. I have volume leveling with Audyssey and it basically sucks the life out of the sound when trying to enjoy a movie or sporting event, etc and even then it won't level out the most maddening of commercials.

Volume leveling is not the answer to the problem. It to re-master or remove the loud commercials themselves.

I basically listen to television at around -20db on my system. I need to get below -38db just to stop the cat from embedding himself in a wall when a commercial break hits (as he runs for his life and thinks the world is ending.) This is why I dropped some Dish programming in the last month and picked it up on Netflix (I realized I don't mind waiting for stuff to come out.)

Not to mention beyond sporting events, I no longer watch live TV. I always have a buffer and I hang on to my remote on the ready...

TNGTony said:
The biggest problem with the loud commercials are with the commercials INSERTED by Dish in the local avail. spots on the cable networks. PureSleep.com and Hughes Net are by far the loudest. So these are definitely commercial which Dish DOES CONTROL THE LEVEL.

Any measurement of the VU levels is worthless. The difference is in the sound pressure level produced by the speakers in the room with the viewer. The commercials DISH NETWORK INSERTS during the local avails. are, at the very least, 12-15 db louder than the programs on the channels they are inserted over. The INSERTED commercials BY DISH NETWORK during the local avails are at least three times louder than the commercials that originate from the network.

So to say Dish has no control over the volume of the commercials is an outright lie or at the very least, a complete misunderstanding of the issue at hand!

Just make sure to visit PureSleep DOT COM!!!

Tony,
While I agree with most of your post I have to smile at a couple of your comments.
Vu meter reading being worthless is true if you are not educated in understanding how to read it OK?. So, I respect you are not familiar with the proper interpretation and calibration of a vu for measuring various aspects of the db differences in sound levels. :).
I have never measured 12 -15 db difference but have measured 6-9 db between the same channel on DD5.1 and DD2.0 I mean audio channel not program channel. In the case of added audio level compression, this will actually make the sound louder with an increase of the floor of the vu rather than the peak which is limited by the audio compressor.
The second area we disagree is the observation you made regarding what commercials Dish inserts. I don't believe it is limited to that for two reasons. First, I have no access to the Dish program logs to see which are local, network or Dish inserted, and second, the consistency of a DD 2.0 spot being much louder is 100% regardless of where it was inserted.

Something else to consider, with audio compression, the process is permanent. That is, once you level limit the sound track with compression it cannot be removed down stream. You can add more compression to a sound track that was compressed earlier but you can't uncompress the track later on. What Dish attempted to achieve with their switch in the firmware is add additional leveling but this is worthless and will generate distortion if added to a sound track that was overly compressed to begin with. That solution will only work on spots that originally had no compression and that, I would bet is very few. On the contrary, the reason why most people observe the software switch is either adding artifacts or non effective is because it just can't compress audio peaks that have already been compressed.

I used to build tv programs for PBS. They had a strict standard that you were not permitted to use audio compression or line limiting in any way but just peak to under 0 vu reference with the slate tone standard. For a network, this was very smart engineering as it gave PBS the complete control to set the audio compression as they wished. By contrast, I have produced programming and commercials for the other networks and since deregulation, they take just about anything that makes noise! I once received a spot from a tv station, a dub that had so much compression the vu swing on the lady's voice was about 2 db. It was like she was yelling in your ear. I complained about it and was told not to worry about it because the client paid the air time, just insert it in the show. It was for a cable channel anyway.

Would it be too much to ask for anyone wishing to discuss program guide info to take the discussion to a separate thread? PSIP and the program guide info from Tribune Media used by Dish is totally unrelated to the topic of this thread.

I'm glad it's not just me. I had a good laugh at the posts about the Hughes Net commercials. That commercial certainly is the WORST! That damn woman has rocked me out of a sound sleep many times. I would never buy hughes net because of that annoying commercial.

My family watched ABC's New Year's Eve countdown (OTA). The loudness level between the countdown programming and commercials was AWFUL! And (I'm assuming, but I think it's a safe assumption) the problem was brought on by ABC, NOT the local affiliate. ALL the "commercials" were ABC promotions for future shows.

Before the local station (NBC) I mentioned earlier put in their upconverter/leveler, many of the issues WERE brought on by NBC. I have since found out NBC has told the locals NOT to modify their audio signal in anyway. Fortunately, my NBC local isn't listening to them as they (NBC) cause much of the problems.

I bring this up simply to say if networks would do the right thing and control their audio levels, it would cut back on what the dish/cable companies need to do.

Don,

You missed my point. I DO NOT CARE about the technical reasons (which I understand better than you know). My point is, what instruments say is COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT TO THE PERCEPTION OF THE VIEWER who was just shocked into cardiac arrest by the difference in the sound level between the program and the commercial.

To say that a commercial is not louder because (insert star trek type technobabble here) IS IRRELEVANT to some one whose crystal ware was just shattered by the sound pressure wave from the commercial's audio level in the room!

To say there is nothing that can be done to prevent the house's foundation from shifting due the the seismic waves produced by the commercial's excessive volume is INSANE! Let's put it this way... if the problem were reversed -the audio could barely be heard on commercials - how long do you think it would take before the advertisers forced the networks and distributors inserting commercials to fix this? I say 1.2 seconds! :)

For some one to say there is nothing that can be done is either uninformed or spewing forth an outright lie

BTW I am talking about the network making sure the commercial's audio level is the same as the program's by adjusting the commercial's audio, NOT the entire channel's just the way they did for analog.

BTW I am talking about the network making sure the commercial's audio level is the same as the program's by adjusting the commercial's audio, NOT the entire channel's just the way they did for analog.

Well, Tony, if you really did know more about this than I thought you would understand that the issues of volume differences in a dolby digital mux are completely different than what we had to deal with in the analog world. The solution is NOT permit 2.0 produced commercials to auto switch the output in the final encoder but to lock the output to full DD5.1. Once this is done in the final encoding step in the chain, the 2.0 spots will be at the same volume level as the DD5.1 program (on dd5.1 capable receivers, and with dd2.0 only receiving equipment or straight analog equipment ( including older mts stereo) the sound would all be at the same level. Once this is done in the manual setup of the encoder ( at Dish Network in this case) then and only then can we further maintain perceived loudness by compressor level limiting. The real difficulty with this is not the technical issue as that is straight forward. But the real issue is getting the engineers to change how they have the encoder configured. For their tunnel vision way of thinking, setting things to "auto" was just easier but it has generated these problems. Setting up the encoder for manual setup is more difficult initially, but once done will resolve the volume jumps for 2.0.

Your scenario of too low a volume is possible but the program arrangement is unlikely. This scenario would happen if they continue to keep the current auto switch and then on a DD5.1 channel, air programs that are produced with only DD2.0 soundtrack and then at commercial break, all spots be DD5.1. NOW, the viewer would adjust the audio in his receiver to comfortable levels on DD2.0 and when the DD5.1 commercials would hit, the level would be quieter by 6-9 db. Yes, I agree that advertisers would complain but this is not happening because the unlikely scenario that a channel would go the expense to add higher encoder to air non-5.1 programming.

IT is also a highly unlikely scenario that to save the engineer's work load to reprogram the encoder that instead all commercials would be re edited to adjust volume levels to match each other according to some standard that doesn't exist today. There is a better chance that the network and MSO require all produced spots to be DD5.1 capable. Recall I originally suggested this as one solution but I recognize that this too, is a really difficult task to achieve,

Tony- years ago I went through an issue like this with DirecTV. They had the older encoders set to encode the DD5.1 channels to output FL, FR and real center. Actually there exists a rear center channel in discrete form but this is no longer a standard, hasn't been for about 15 years. In some, not all receivers, when the decoder sees this combination of meta data it will interpret this to a FL and FR discrete channel but since there is no center rear, the audio will be lost. So where did that center rear come from? It was triggered from the program's front center channel! You can guess what happens in this situation. The home viewer with a DD5.1 receiver would hear no dialog at all as the DD5.1 decoder is discrete and most dialog was edited to front center except in special far left or far right location of sound source. For about a month DirecTV had no dialog on their new DD5.1 capable channels. I issued a complaint with Castle Rock uplink center but did not know at the time that all uplink programming for DD5.1 was being run from LA center. The Castle Rock tried to get the issue fixed but being internally competitive, were told to F-O! and mind their own business. Next Dolby was alerted to this and verified the problem and tried to contact D* in LA center with the fix and Dolby was told to FO. Eventually, the Ahole who was fighting the change, I understand got fired and Dolby entered and fixed the problem. You might be wondering, didn't D* hear the difference? I would think so but, I discovered, back then they had NO monitoring of their downlink for DD5.1 in the center. All they heard was a DD2.0 mts sound in their headphones from the uplink bus. Hard to believe but it was true. D* had no way of hearing what we were hearing at home! MY point is that in many of these cases, the average consumer rightfully responded as you did with "Just fix it!" My house is being rocked off the foundation etc. Unfortunately, as we found out with the Dish software fix, it doesn't work.

I was watching TLC HD today and it was in DD5.1 and then the break came and many commercials were in DD5.1 and all the same sound level. I thought, hey, maybe they finally fixed this in the encoder. But then my hopes sank because I was blown out of my seat with the next commercial which was the Hughesnet spot. I looked over at the meta data indicator and yep! sure enough it was a DD2.0 spot. I let the loud volume remain and the next spot was back to DD5.1 and the volume returned to normal. On this channel at this time most of the spots were produced with DD5.1 so the volume remained constant. More often, like on CNBC HD ( which I watch a lot ) the spots are mostly DD2.0 so I have to adjust for this often.

Tony- I do respect that you don't care about the technical reasons, and maybe you do know about the encoder setup procedures, but as an engineer yourself you do recognize that if you know the root cause of a problem it is important to communicate that to the people who speak that language and are in a position to do something about it. I know the TSR's here are not in that position, but they are the message boys, in a position to relate the problems, hopefully with a little better understanding as a result of the technical side of this thread, to those who can make a difference. As I stated before, this thread is not my first nor only dealing with the problem but rather one more channel to strike up a "technical" dialog. I haven't bothered to complain through the normal phone call in because those CSR's only know how to read out of a play guide, you know, have you rebooted your DVR? finally, we'll send you a replacement DVR which is not going to fix anything. On issues like this they are just not equipped to deal with the problem of how their engineers programmed the setup in the encoder.

One more thing, the Dolby people at CES are not the ones to talk to about this. I have tried and thy just don't understand the broadcast side of their company and its products. The Dolby engineers who really know about their encoders and decoders are at NAB. Since retiring, I no longer attend NAB.

Last edited:
I have another issue with this general problem.

My problem is when the networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX) broadcast an HD program that is Dolby 2.0 on a Dolby 5.1 channel and then do not "flip the switch" so the signal is still sent out with the metadata as 5.1 and as a result, the AVR receiver thinks the signal is 5.1 and does not upconvert the 2.0 signal to 5.1 leaving the listener with all audio coming out of left and right channels only. A few examples of this are The Tonight Show on NBC, Late Show with Letterman and most of the network news programs to name a few...When these programs come on, the sound is horrible, sounds mono and you have to raise the volume 20+db in order to hear dialogue clearly and even then it still sucks, as opposed to if you switch to the same broadcast in standard definition, get the junky analog signal which then prompts the AVR to upconvert the audio to Dolby Pro Logic II, etc...

This drives me nuts. I know this problem comes from the network affiliates being lazy and leaving their encoders set to 5.1 all the time rather than switching their signal encoders from 5.1 to 2.0 for 2.0 broadcasts, but it would be awesome if Dish would somehow be able to intercept the signal and filter it or change the metadata....

If the original program is in DD2.0 and the meta data is set properly, it should leave your AVR in DD5.1 but the encoder should populate the 5 channels with Left and right sound and a mix to the front center. Early AVR's with early Dolby decoding chips did have a bug in them. This was many years ago and I don't recall which makes had the problem. The other issue is if your station is setting up the Dolby Digital to send DD5.1 front center channel to center rear it could also cause this problem depending on how your AVR interprets this. In other words- Front Left and Front right and rear center all other channels shut off. I don't understand but many stations make this error in the setup.

I got a chance to speak to a Dolby senior Product Engineer at CES on this issue and he promised to get into this. He said my assessment was on target as to what is the root cause of the volume boost. As for the problems with varying compression levels in different production audio, Dolby is coming out with a new volume leveler this year but like all new things, I don't expect the industry to just drop everything and purchase the upgrade.

I have two new updates to this topic:

1. About 10 days ago I observed that a few commercials using DD2.0 ( Louder than others) on offending DD5.1 channels were switched to DD5.1 when historically they were DD2.0. By doing this the spots maintained same volume level as the program content using DD5.1. Example was Magic Jack commercial on CNBC. There were others but this one I was tracking. However, all remaining DD2.0 varied between +3db and 6 db higher volume level when broadcast using DD2.0 in a channel that was programmed for DD5.1 Thanks to Dish Network for beginning to fix the offending loud volume spots!

2. All is not yet perfect and it is time for me to move on to resolve this problem. While at CES I was introduced to the latest innovation from Dolby who has another solution to fix the technical errors made by the broadcast operators. IT's called Dolby Volume™ It is just now becoming available to the latest AVR's. In my recent upgrade to 3D, I upgraded my AVR to a state of the art Denon 4311 that came with the option to turn on Dolby Volume™ This software allows me to control two aspects of the sound level without compression distortion ( that I can detect). IT allows me to set the volume reference on a channel so that when I tune from channel to channel the sound level is the same. In addition, I can set a reference volume level on a dolby DD5.1 and match all DD2.0 to it. So now, Dolby Volume has the volume of all Dish channels the same level as well as all programming content regardless of Dolby 2.0 or 5.1 the same room loudness. It does not affect the LFE or surround ratio among the speakers and the quality of the sound is the same in or out but the volume is automatically normalized. Now, with Dolby Volume™ set to on for my VIP722K input, I will no longer be able to tell if a commercial is obnoxiously louder than the others of the program content anymore.

I guess since Dish Network engineers weren't able to fix their transmissions and the FCC's lame attempt to regulate it failed, Dolby gave us a tool to fix their annoying sound problem for them. Unfortunately, to use this tool one has to upgrade their AVR to the latest Dolby technology. Since I upgraded, and can no longer detect the bad audio from Dish channels, problem solved for me and I will leave this thread to others who still have the issue.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts