Toledo locals moving to eastern arc?

MadCabbit

Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
US
I recently set up with Dish with a Hopper+ two Joeys. I had to have my dish pointed to the eastern arc due to LOS issues, so I supplemented OTA with a digital receiver. Unfortunately, that seems to break up a lot. The installer mentioned Dish planned to add Toledo locals to the eastern arc soon, but didn't have an ETA. Is there any way to figure out when this will happen?

Can you improve your antenna, or get an amplifier for it? As for getting the locals on the EA, a DIRT member here may be able to find out if it really is in the pipeline.

One other thought, any chance you could see one WA satellite, 129 from somewhere on the property? If you could do that, you would get your locals off of that, and still keep the EA satellites for everything else.

Last edited:
I tried to get the installer to go for the 129 and at least have HD locals, but he said that even though its azimuth is further and it looks like it has a better chance to clear, that its altitude was lower and it wouldn't work. Here's more info on the situation for a year and a half ago when I was considering D*, which was unable to do anything. It sums up my LOS issues. http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/227670-los-issue.html

Also, I have one of these antennas: Amazon.com: RCA ANT1450BM Refurbished Multi-Directional Digital Flat Amplified HDTV Antenna (Black): Electronics
Not sure if its that exact model, but its an RCA that looks like that and has an amplifier. I have it mounted near the window. It worked at first with occasional breakups on one channel or so, but its gotten worse lately.

That's actually not a bad indoor antenna. You may find it will work better lying flat against the window. Also try it in both directions, meaning up and down, and sideways.

Obviously an outdoor antenna would work the best but might not be easy for your situation.

Does your cable company have an inexpensive "lifeline" package that would have your locals, maybe just SD but at least you would have them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts