Tom Snyder dies at 71

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats too bad. I use to watch him nights on CBS after David Letterman on the Late Late Show.

The two interviews Tom did that spring to my mind are the John Lennon interview, two parter IIRC, and Sterling Hayden.

Tom Snyder didn't like the Akroyd impersonations, because they focused on his ignorance. Snyder was the first male to succeed nationally in an information-based show who didn't have any information. He wasn't the first overall, however, as Barbara Walters holds that distinction.

In Snyder's Playboy interview, he let it be known that he didn't appreciate being denigrated for being ignorant or the fact that every time he was compared to Dick Cavett, the comparison was unflattering to him. He once said if Cavett interviewed Pavarotti, he ask him about opera, whereas if he interviewed Pavarotti, he'd ask him what he'd like on his pizza.

It was on Tom Snyder's radio show, when his guest was Ricardo Montalban, that I learned that there is no leather industry in Corinth, and therefore no such thing as "Corinthian Leather". The term was concocted simply to highlight Montalban's accent.

Did anyone besides me see Snyder's SECOND interview with Liv Ullman? It may be the greatest example of self humiliation in TV history. Does anyone out there besides me remember the story behind it?

Last edited:
Probably what I remember most about Tom, was how all the Networks made him look when showing the clip over and over of him getting under the Desk during an Earthquake, while he worked for a local News when this occured. It wasn't him getting under the Desk that made him look bad (that was understandable), it was the comments he was making while this was going on and it was Live locally. I don't remember what he was saying, I do remember the Networks run it in the ground. R.I.P. Tom!

Al

Hey, the word in the industry is, 'Cheech and Chong is a one joke act'. Now, I'm not saying it, in fact, I don't know who's saying it, and I'm not saying its so, but that's the word: 'Cheech and Chong is a one joke act', so what I'd like to know is, are you a one joke act, and if you are, what's the one joke

Show me a guy who won't perform oral sex... and I'll steal his girlfriend.

- Tom Snyder

leukemia is linked to smoking......

latest studies show. how sad tobacco kills so many, emphsema killed johny carson/

must be hard to replace all your customers as use of the product you sell kills them:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)