Tony Kornheiser steps down from MNF

They should bring back Paul McGuire. He was great on SNF when ESPN had it and they are wasting him on the college telecasts by having him ride on the camera truck. Bring him back to the NFL where he can call out boneheaded plays.

Now they need to dump Tirico....he's either dull or sounds constipated.

I'll vote for dull. I've never been a Tirico guy.

I wish ESPN could lure Greg Gumbel away from CBS. He's behind Jim Nantz on their announcing depth chart.

Oh, I completely agree! That Jeff Van Gundy is the worst thing going on TV! Even worse than Ugly Betty or The View.

I would have rather seen Reggie Miller there.

They should bring back Paul McGuire. He was great on SNF when ESPN had it and they are wasting him on the college telecasts by having him ride on the camera truck. Bring him back to the NFL where he can call out boneheaded plays.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Dennis Miller (who is NOT funny) and Tony K (who is) were attempts by ABC/ESPN to recapture the "event" nature of MNF. Something that was just a function of the 3 channel world and cannot be remade.

Now we just will see a standard coverage of just another game.

I think they should go back to a 2 man booth.
I like the 3 man concept as long as there is good chemistry. I'm still confused over the Gruden hiring though. He always came across as kind of a jerk. I think only Belichick is more of a grouch.

I like the 3 man concept as long as there is good chemistry. I'm still confused over the Gruden hiring though. He always came across as kind of a jerk. I think only Belichick is more of a grouch.

I have always liked Gruden :)
I'm glad to see him in the booth.
Normally when you take a job like this, you do it for a few years and the more your seen the more offers you get, but I hardly think Gruden would be lacking oppertunities if he wanted to coach.

Dennis Miller (who is NOT funny) ...

I never could stand Miller's delivery. When he used to do Weekend Update on SNL, I would repeat the material in my head but in the voice of other comedians, and that way it sounded pretty good. Similarly, there are a lot of times I hear a guy delivering a stand-up, opening monologue that is bombing, but if I visualize Carson delivering the same material, with his timing and facial expressions, it becomes good material.

In fairness to Miller, I'm pretty sure he was the first guy I heard make fun of Hawaii 5-0, and that one, I'd like to hear again.

who was better than Rush Limbaugh. Who cares about this one is better than that one when they're really not good enough to be there in the first place??

i agree. personally i like the decision to put in gruden. he expressed himself very well during the NFL draft and i think he has what it takes. we'll see........

i agree. personally i like the decision to put in gruden. he expressed himself very well during the NFL draft and i think he has what it takes. we'll see........
+1

Even though that wasn't an actual game broadcast I also feel he did a good job (for the hour or so that I watched....)

+1. Plus he has legitamite first hand experience and knowledge of the game. His insight will be 10x better than the comb-over clown he's replacing.

Interesting development in the Gruden story:

Do not invite Gruden and NFL Network czar Steve Bornstein to the same event anytime soon, or ever. Bornstein wants to wring Gruden's neck. The NFL Network is furious with Gruden for jilting the network after he'd verbally agreed to a deal to work there. The former Bucs coach had been very good on the NFL Network, colorful and opinionated, at the NFL scouting combine and the NFL draft, and the network had finalized everything but the signature on the paper for Gruden to begin working there immediately. In fact, he was slated to be at NFL Films this week to begin his job full time. But ESPN swooped in, offered Gruden the Monday night seat vacated by Tony Kornheiser (how convenient), and Gruden took it.

Jon Gruden, Michael Vick critics speak; Dr. Z benefit breakdown - Peter King - SI.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)