TOO Complicated For VOOM

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rickbb

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2004
I am getting Voom installed soon..and I have Dish Network in addition to Voom.I've never had rain fade problems with Dish Network..yet I've read that most people in your Voom forum who have 18 inch Voom dishes have rain fade problems.Unless you get the 24 inch Voom satelite dish....but in order to get the 24 inch Voom dish you need to qualify.Supposedly I don't qualify in my area..yet Vooms customer service installation department person said to me he's been in my area..and thinks I should qualify for the 24 inch dish....but he does'nt make that decision he said...Vooms people have to research this and get back to me..he said within 48 hours.WHY IS ALL OF THIS SO COMPLICATED???!!!!!

rickbb said:
I've never had rain fade problems with Dish Network.
I find this statement almost a scientific impossibility. Atmospheric conditions affected my D* dish and they affect my V* dish as well. What miracle of satellite technology is Dish using? I know that V* uses slightly lower power and different error correction but ZERO rain fade? There cannot be that much difference between DISH and D*

What is it that you find so complicated. Seems pretty simple to me.

1) If Voom says you can have the 24" dish on initial install - get it
2) If Voom says 18" dish - get it

Get the 18" installed (I still have mine). Make sure that the installer peaks it with the meter from the stb and not the portable meter that they use. Make sure that the meter reads 90+ on the system settings. I have experienced rain fade on thunderstorms only in the summer but to be fair my E* dish as well experienced the same. I also experienced rain fade when heavy snow accumulates on the dish as well but I think even with a 24" you will still get it.

If after all of this you still experience rain fade, make a case with VOOM or buy your own dish. They don't cost much but again you should try to make a case with VOOM first to see if you can get it free.

vurbano said:
What miracle of satellite technology is Dish using? I know that V* uses slightly lower power and different error correction but ZERO rain fade? There cannot be that much difference between DISH and D*
Vurbano, I have NEVER lost my Dish signal from 110 or 119 due to rain, no matter how hard it was coming down. Since Voom is so darn low in the sky, there's much more moisture in the atmosphere to absorb the signal. I would lose my Dish signal at 61.5 if the clouds sneezed.

FWIW, one day when it was raining cats & dogs up her in the Pacific Northwest, as my Voom signal dropped to zero, I checked my Dish signal and it was still up over 100 (110 maximum). I am so glad Dish moved all of their HD to 110 because I now have some stable HD to watch regardless of the weather. That's one reason I would be reluctant to drop Dish even if Voom picked up HDNET (that and the difference in PQ). ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts