Too Much $$$ to upgrade, going to DISH

Status
Please reply by conversation.

radionews

Original poster
Jan 28, 2005
Directv told me yesterday that I needed $49.99 each to upgrade the 2 receivers I have to get my locals plus $99 to get a DVR unit. I understand that the stuff cost $$$ but $200 for a customer of 7 years seems a little high to me. (Now opening a can of worms) Checked with Dish Network, looks like it would be a few bucks cheaper a month, even with DVR, same channels that I watch and no $$$ as they give new customers free equipment. Got free equip with Directv when I signed up too, would have paid for upgrades but $200 is a little much, i think.......

radionews said:
Directv told me yesterday that I needed $49.99 each to upgrade the 2 receivers I have to get my locals plus $99 to get a DVR unit. I understand that the stuff cost $$$ but $200 for a customer of 7 years seems a little high to me. (Now opening a can of worms) Checked with Dish Network, looks like it would be a few bucks cheaper a month, even with DVR, same channels that I watch and no $$$ as they give new customers free equipment. Got free equip with Directv when I signed up too, would have paid for upgrades but $200 is a little much, i think.......

If you haven't, called and ask to be sent to the customer renention department, they usually will come up with a deal to keep a current customer.

Something doesn't add up here, LiL conversions are free (+ commitment), what part of the story are we missing? $49 (plus shipping) is the cost for an additional box including install... $99 for a DVR is the standard offer... how'd you end up with a 3 LNB(or a second 72 aligned dish) and still have single sat boxes?

The previous poster was correct. I'd call and ask again what your options are as far as upgrading, if you get the same information ask them what it would take to cancel the account and you'll get a dealmaker on the line to see if something can be done to meet your needs within your expectations.

Edit: What was the result of this post - http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?p=321136#post321136 ? Just never pulled the trigger and did anything about it or what?

let me try to convince you to stay with D*. I too was in your situation. I did not want to pay a lot to upgrade my equipment. I switched to Dish and got their "free" equipment. The old saying you get what you pay for really applies with the Dish equipment. You don't pay a lot because it is not worth anything. In the long run, it ended up even costing me more money because I paid to get out of my 1 year commitment with Dish and went back to D* and paid up upgrade my equipment.

Please Please Please reconsider switching services. Dish is the devil my friend. Call D*customer retention and take the deal they give you. It will be SO much better than going over to Dish. Trust me, I made that mistake and won't do it again.

the grass is not greener said:
let me try to convince you to stay with D*. I too was in your situation. I did not want to pay a lot to upgrade my equipment. I switched to Dish and got their "free" equipment. The old saying you get what you pay for really applies with the Dish equipment. You don't pay a lot because it is not worth anything. In the long run, it ended up even costing me more money because I paid to get out of my 1 year commitment with Dish and went back to D* and paid up upgrade my equipment.

Please Please Please reconsider switching services. Dish is the devil my friend. Call D*customer retention and take the deal they give you. It will be SO much better than going over to Dish. Trust me, I made that mistake and won't do it again.

Here we go again, V* is gone, so there is another enemy - E*. Why just be more positive and say how good D* is instead of saying how bad E* is :eek:

Yup!

I agree why pay all of that $$$, When Dish will install for free. You lease the equipment, so any problems you are covered. If you want to UPGRADE, just a few extra bucks a month on your bill :D

liljoe said:
I agree why pay all of that $$$, When Dish will install for free. You lease the equipment, so any problems you are covered. If you want to UPGRADE, just a few extra bucks a month on your bill :D

Hardware yes, but MOST of E*'s problems are with the software and having a lease won't fix that.

the grass is not greener said:

How much did it cost you to ditch Dish? I was quoted $240 to cancel my two year commitment 6 months early :rolleyes:. This piece of junk 522 is driving me crazy! I want an R-10.

Radionews, stay away from the Dish 522 DVR if you do switch. The 510 is a good machine but it's stone age compared to Tivo. The 522 isn't much better. Mine freezes up once a week and has already lost timers. I've only had it for a month!

liljoe said:

Because their product is crap, the monthly rental fee adds up to you paying more for the equipment than its worth retail, and the per channel basis they really are not cheaper.

I'm a new customer sort of in the same boat. It seems to cost a lot more upfront to go with DirecTV and get an HD DVR. And add to that the worry that if I buy it now, how long is it good for? But on the other hand, I liked the HR10-250 when I had a chance to play with one and I'm not so sure about the 942.

rad said:
What hardware are you using?

their basic receivers work great... as soon as you start to get higher in the tech they dont work. 311-510's work well... 522 and 811 and up just flat out dont work.

ShadowEKU said:
their basic receivers work great... as soon as you start to get higher in the tech they dont work. 311-510's work well... 522 and 811 and up just flat out dont work.

That's what I was trying to find out so I could make that point. I wish when folks say X service is great/sucks that they would show what hardware they are using so people can get a truer picture.

ShadowEKU said:
That's just flat-out WRONG. I have two 811's and a 311, all working just fine thank you.

mdonnelly said:
That's just flat-out WRONG. I have two 811's and a 311, all working just fine thank you.

i went through 4 811s thank you... beofr ei got one i didnt have to reboot daily... and turn it of fat night being required is just retarted

I never had a problem with Dish at all until I got the 522. This thing is a steaming pile of poo, especially compared to what Directivo is. My old 510 always worked perfect but it was nothing more than a digital vcr with the ability to pause live tv. There was no NBR and it had a Fred Flinstone GUI.

Still it never made me want to switch to Directv. One month with the 522 is all it took to make me want to ditch Dish. I order my dual Directivo system from Robert today :yes.

D* customer retention# is 800-600-8977. You have to haggle with them. After they tell you what the initial offer is, tell them you know someone who got a better deal. I got free upgrade install + dish and free HD pkg for 6 mos. If you upgrade now you quallify for the MPEG4 upgrades later.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts