Too Slow

deaner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 9, 2007
Wiggins, MS
Recently my computer has slowed down to the point it almost stops. I had installed the Norton Anti Virus 360. I am running windows XP. I decided the 360 may not be compatible with my program so I uninstalled it but that did not help. I have added several FTA sites to my favorites. Would that cause the problem? I have also been visiting ebay. I am wondering if I picked up a bug. I need suggestions as to what to do to improve the speed. Thanks for your help.

I tried Norton 360 on my XP laptop and it made web browsing a real pain. I finally pulled it off and using the free stuff my ISP provides.

I use Norton 360 on my laptop with xp and have one of the slowest cpu's. A Celeron M. 360 at times may slow things down because it's running something like automatically defragging your hard drive running virus or spyware scans. You can call Norton support and tell them about what is happening and they will help you stop some of those automatic settings that may slow things down or you can do this manually yourself. One thing I did was disable that automatic cleaning of the hard drive and the defragging of the hard drive. May be that 360 could be in the middle of updating the definition files as well. I do these things manually. Believe me with a Celeron you do not want two programs running at the same time. With what I have done 360 runs just fine. Just my two cents. Good Luck Hope this helps. IMHO Norton 360 is a a great resource for Grandma or Granpa. Insatall it and forget it. I am not that far from that. With just a few personal setting changes I am very happy with it.

Last edited:
OBTW charper1 can help you better than I can. He is correct in asking what type of cpu and how much memory you have. This poor thing I use here is maxed out far as I can take it. 2G memory and a 7200 rpm 100g hard drive. I still have to be careful how I task it.:rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)