Took down my SuperDISH today, prepping for Ivan.

pfef98

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 31, 2004
Pace, FL
Well, after boarding up my house, I climbed on the roof and took the SuperDish off it's pole tonight.

I left the pole and the support arms up there, but I didn't want that thing acting like a giant sail and ripping part of my roof off when it decided to take off in the wind.

Anyway, I'm heading to Tallahassee tomorrow morning. Hopefully Friday I'll head back here and won't find TOO much damage.

--Matt

I guess it would depend on the wind speed and how good that mast is bolted. Perhaps if there was anyone in Florida that just happened to have a SuperDish that took thers down and left the mast up would be able to tell you how it did in the last two storm passes.

that mast is seriously attached to the roof, with the support arms, I'm sure it'll be ok without the dish attached.

I marked it pretty well, should be able to get a good signal once I put it back up.

--Matt

The SuperDish has EIGHT times the windload than a Dish300 does. So that means its 8 times more likely to be blown off.

And that's why it's sitting in my dining room right now, instead of on the roof.

That mutha looks way bigger on the floor than it does on the roof too.

--Matt

Well I will be staying for this one as I did for Frederic 25 years ago. Not much choice, I have a datacenter in downtown Mobile, AL that I'm responsible for keeping online. It's generator powered and good for up to four feet of water at street level.

I'll be updating this if/when I can... http://ivan.pepper.net/

I have a Dish 500 and a 300 on my roof here in Pensacola and I will let you know tomorrow, if they survive and the roof survives. Also I have a 12 foot mesh
C Band dish above my roof and we shall see.

Good luck pepper.

Here in Birmingham, they are saying 30+ hours of wind greater than 30 MPH with gusts to 70 and 10-15 inches of rain. :eek:

We expect to loose alot of trees.

The news is saying prepare to be without power for 5 to 7 days.

I hope that huge oak behind my bedroom holds up. :(

Hey, Pepper
Good luck to you also.
I visited Mobile about 10 years ago on business, nice city. However, I hate to think of all those trees on Daulphin Island becoming driftwood. I was very surprised when I went out on the island to see all the tall evergreens.

My dish farm survived unscathed, including the two old primestars, one on a pole and the other lying under some plants in the backyard that I forgot to secure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)