Possible to switch HD?

Don't know exactly but E*'s made it very clear that you can't upgrade/replace it and I don't remember anyone posting that they've been able to do it.

I believe it's because something in the firmware is programmed for a certain size hard drive and brand.

Neutron said:
I believe it's because something in the firmware is programmed for a certain size hard drive and brand.
correct me if im wrong, but if someone found a way to flash the firmware it might be possible to do this right?

reason i asked is because ive seen flashes done on cell phones that change them significantly, so i figured other pieces of equiptment worked the same way. Im not too savvy on this, so i dont know. just thought itd be nice to increase the space.

That would be considered hacking and that's not allowed on this forum.

Not only that, but isn't the 522 lease only? You would be violating your TOS with DISH and would probably have to pay for the damage.

Dish doesn't allow swapping HD's because they don't want to be servicing a bunch of broken DVRs when people break them for putting in in compatible drives. You especially better not do a dang thing to the 522 box because you don't own it and if you try to mess with it you better look foward to paying the Fees associated with their rental boxes

well that is news to me....the company i got my equiptment from told me the equiptment is mine, no charge, never told me it was lease only....

sorry about the question...didnt realize that wouldnt be allowed.

Apparently, there are some non-lease 522's out there, but even so, the DMCA prohibits you from screwing with the thing.

That's NOT true with 501/508/510 boxes. Yahoo groups dishmod & dishrip.

SimpleSimon said:
Apparently, there are some non-lease 522's out there, but even so, the DMCA prohibits you from screwing with the thing.

That's NOT true with 501/508/510 boxes. Yahoo groups dishmod & dishrip.
Im not all that worried about it, just figured it'd be nice to have some more room. I could always burn to dvd if need be to clear up some room, its a digital>digital connection right (i.e. if dvr saves dolby digital, if i send it to dvd it will keep it too??)

BFG said:
Dish doesn't allow swapping HD's because they don't want to be servicing a bunch of broken DVRs when people break them for putting in in compatible drives.
Who's going to modify their box and then even expect Dish to fix it if it breaks ??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)