Top 10 NFL Players Not In the Pro Football Hall of Fame

lancemccaffrey,

I am surprised you didn't mention Joe Theismann

My standard for considering a potential Hall of Famer is this: Was the player one of the very best at his position for at least a 6, 7, or 8 year period in his career?

Theismann had 3 Hall of Fame years: '82 (when he was the Super Bowl winning quarterback), '83 (when he won the league MVP), and '84 (he threw for over 3300 yards and threw 11 more touchdowns than interceptions).

He had a very good year in '81, throwing for over 3500 yards, but he threw less touchdowns than interceptions. He had a good year in '79 and '80 as well, but since I can only identify that Joe Theismann had 3 Hall of Fame seasons, I wouldn't vote for him for the Hall of Fame.

Where is Ryan Leaf (lol)
No really
What about Andy Russell who was a 7 time Pro Bowler
What abour Robert Brazile
What about Lamar parrish
What about Boomer Esiason
What about Drew Pearson
These are some pretty good football players

Where is Ryan Leaf (lol)
No really
What about Andy Russell who was a 7 time Pro Bowler
What abour Robert Brazile
What about Lamar parrish
What about Boomer Esiason
What about Drew Pearson
These are some pretty good football players

Don't forget Parrish's teammate - Ken "The Rattler" Riley.

Riley holds the NFL record for the most career interceptions all with one team.

One of the most consistent CB's ever to play the game, but because he wasn't flashy, many people don't know who he is.

My all-time favorite Bengal, BTW.

You got me on that one - I never heard of the guy.

Riley holds the NFL record for the most career interceptions all with one team.

One of the most consistent CB's ever to play the game, but because he wasn't flashy, many people don't know who he is.

My all-time favorite Bengal, BTW.

I am a Bengals fan and have never heard of him. How long ago did he play?

I am a Bengals fan and have never heard of him. How long ago did he play?

1969-83
Went to college at Florida A&M
wore #13
Has 65 INT's, 5th all-time, more than Ronnie Lott
Of the top 6 interceptors of all time, only he and Rod Woodson are not in the HOF (and Woodson will be)

The NFL Network produced a program on Tuesday night about the top 10 NFL players not in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Any thougths on this list? Anybody who should not be on this list?

1. Jerry Kramer
2. Derrick Thomas
3. Cris Carter
4. Jim Marshall
5. Bob Hayes
6. Ken Stabler
7. Ricky Watters
8. Alex Karras
9. Steve Tasker
10. Ken Anderson

Thanks for posting. Unfortunately, this is a silly list for a couple reasons:

1. Carter and Thomas will get in soon enough. Carter has only been a finalist *one* time and Thomas only four, and it's not unreasonable for them to wait a little before getting in. Note that only four WRs have ever been elected in their first year of eligibility: Ray Berry, Lance Alworth, Steve Largent, and Paul Warfield -- that's it. And Thomas, while he was a terrific pass rusher, was considered fairly weak against the run and in pass coverage; the HoF voters seem to like LBs with more complete skills for fast election.

2. for the rest, the strongest case by far is for Ken Anderson, with Hayes and Kramer probably secondary options. The HoF question for Tasker is based on whether a special teamer belongs in -- and if so, why Tasker before someone else who played before such players routinely made all pro teams, like Alex Hawkins or Ron Wolfley or Bill Bates. If you look at stats for Watters and Stabler, and 1st team all pro selections and pro bowls for Marshall and Karras, it becomes pretty clear that none of them belong in -- and that doesn't count Karras's gambling suspension.

3. if the NFL Network was really taking the concept of snub seriously, you'd think they'd suggest, for example, some not so well known deserving older players from the '20s (Lavie Dilweg, Verne Lewellen, or Duke Slater) or the '40s (Al Wistert or Riley Matheson) or the '50s (Billy Howton, Billy Wilson, Jack Butler, Abe Woodson, Jim Patton, Bobby Dillon, Gene Brito, or Dick Stanfel) or the '60s (Mick Tingelhoff, Jim Tyrer, Chuck Howley, Maxie Baughan, Ed Budde, Johnny Robinson, or Tommy Davis). What about deserving players like Robert Brazile or Harold Carmichael or Harold Jackson, whose eligibility will run out soon and haven't even gotten a sniff? Instead, they trot out guys like Marshall and Hayes again. Ridiculous, if you ask me.

"3. if the NFL Network was really taking the concept of snub seriously, you'd think they'd suggest, for example, some not so well known deserving older players from the '20s (Lavie Dilweg, Verne Lewellen, or Duke Slater) or the '40s (Al Wistert or Riley Matheson) or the '50s (Billy Howton, Billy Wilson, Jack Butler, Abe Woodson, Jim Patton, Bobby Dillon, Gene Brito, or Dick Stanfel) or the '60s (Mick Tingelhoff, Jim Tyrer, Chuck Howley, Maxie Baughan, Ed Budde, Johnny Robinson, or Tommy Davis). What about deserving players like Robert Brazile or Harold Carmichael or Harold Jackson, whose eligibility will run out soon and haven't even gotten a sniff? Instead, they trot out guys like Marshall and Hayes again. Ridiculous, if you ask me."

Great post!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts