Top 10 Worst Super Bowl Teams

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
1996 Patriots shouldn't be there.

They were a good team; so they played a bad Jets team twice. Big deal!

They could throw with Bledsoe and Ben Coates and Keith Byars, run with Curtis Martin, and had some decent defense (Tedi Bruschi, Lawyer Milloy, and Willie McGinest were rookies).

Why should they be penalized for playing the Jags. It's not the Pats' fault Denver couldn't win their playff game!

I found this link via awfulannouncing.com about the top 10 worst Super Bowl Teams: RealClearSports - Top 10 Worst Super Bowl Teams - Worst Super Bowl Teams

What do you think?

They have last year's Giants team on their list???!!! :eek:

Are they on drugs???!!!

IMO, if you win the Super Bowl you should NOT be on this list. Not only did the G-Men win the championship, they beat a previously undefeated team to do it!

The other team on the list that I take exception with is the '88 Bengals.

That Cincinnati squad was very strong, and came within seconds of beating what is arguably one of the greatest teams of all-time.

1996 Patriots shouldn't be there.

They were a good team; so they played a bad Jets team twice. Big deal!

They could throw with Bledsoe and Ben Coates and Keith Byars, run with Curtis Martin, and had some decent defense (Tedi Bruschi, Lawyer Milloy, and Willie McGinest were rookies).

Why should they be penalized for playing the Jags. It's not the Pats' fault Denver couldn't win their playff game!

It kills me to say this (defending the Patsies), but I have to agree. That '96 Patriots team was strong, and if Parcells didn't jump ship the '97 team could have contended for a championship.

They were still a stong team, but slipped under Pete Carroll in my opinion.

BTW, the '96 Pats were only an honorable mention. The 1985 Patriots definitely deserve to be on this list.

One other thing, last year's Giants team was WORLD'S better than the Patriots team that upset the Rams, but yet the Giants are on the list.

Can't argue with how bad the Bolts did against the Niners in '94, but I loved how they got there. Beating the Steelers in Pittsburgh is one of my favorite football memories. :)

It's a shame Stan Humphries' career was shortened by concussions. That caused the Bolts to draft Ryan Leaf the next year (Peyton Manning was taken). Set the team back by five years.

That list is Bullsh!t. The 79 Rams were playing with a backup QB a nearly beat the Steelers. And the 2003 Panthers don't belong on that list either. IMO the worst ever were the 85 Patriots. Anyone who plays well in a SB, even in defeat, doesn't deserve to be mocked. The teams that get crushed do.

That list is Bullsh!t. The 79 Rams were playing with a backup QB a nearly beat the Steelers. And the 2003 Panthers don't belong on that list either. IMO the worst ever were the 85 Patriots. Anyone who plays well in a SB, even in defeat, doesn't deserve to be mocked. The teams that get crushed do.

While that was a CRUSHING that the Pats took from the Bears, it wasn't as bad as the one the Broncos took from the Niners (1989???)

Here are a couple of other SB losers that should be on the list. The 77 Broncos. Their 27-10 loss to Dallas doesn't even tell the story. Denver fumbled almost every time they touched the ball. If the Cowboys had been on their game they'd have dropped 50 that day.

The 81 Bengals were way worse that the 88 team. The 81 team got into the SB thanks to record cold in the AFC CG that neutralized the Chargers passing game, and then they got whipped by the 49ers. The final score was closer than the game. SF got out to a 20-0 lead. It was over by halftime. Then they let Cincy get some garbage TD's at the end.

All lists like this are Bullsh!t. When was the last time you saw one of these lists and agreed 100% with it?? It's impossible. They're created to increase publication sales, web traffic, broadcast ratings, etc....

They have last year's Giants team on their list???!!! :eek:

Are they on drugs???!!!

IMO, if you win the Super Bowl you should NOT be on this list. Not only did the G-Men win the championship, they beat a previously undefeated team to do it!

The other team on the list that I take exception with is the '88 Bengals.

That Cincinnati squad was very strong, and came within seconds of beating what is arguably one of the greatest teams of all-time.

I am not a big fan of the Patriots, but the Giants did win on a lucky catch, an obvious in the grasp and a blatant hold that were not called on the play. It might of been karma, who knows.

The 2000 Giants were probably the worst team.

I am not a big fan of the Patriots, but the Giants did win on a lucky catch, an obvious in the grasp and a blatant hold that were not called on the play. It might of been karma, who knows.

Considering the Giants almost (some say should have) beat the Patriots in game 17, it wasn't a big surprise when they beat them a month later.

I agree that any team that actually won it's superbowl should not be on the list, as they showed by winning that they should have been there.

Lucky catch???? :confused:

I call it great execution.

Lucky? :confused: the giants were the more physical team. like mentioned before, the giants almost beat the pats in week 17 over a meaningless game for them.it didn't surprise me either when the giants beat the pats as they punched them in the mouth like no one else did. this list has a lot of BS in it.

Lucky? :confused: the giants were the more physical team. like mentioned before, the giants almost beat the pats in week 17 over a meaningless game for them.it didn't surprise me either when the giants beat the pats as they punched them in the mouth like no one else did. this list has a lot of BS in it.

I live in Connecticut, and I am a Lions fan. I have adopted the Patriots as an actual NFL team to root for. I am not saying the Giants weren't more physical, but the stars had to align perfectly for them to squeak out a win. Samuel and Meriweather dropping game ending interceptions, the Tyree play and things that were missed on that. Are they they one of the 10 worst superbowl teams? Absolutely not. Are they one of the worst winners? Maybe.

I live in Connecticut, and I am a Lions fan. I have adopted the Patriots as an actual NFL team to root for. I am not saying the Giants weren't more physical, but the stars had to align perfectly for them to squeak out a win. Samuel and Meriweather dropping game ending interceptions, the Tyree play and things that were missed on that. Are they they one of the 10 worst superbowl teams? Absolutely not. Are they one of the worst winners? Maybe.

btw, here are the stats from the game:
Statistical comparison

New York Giants New England Patriots
First downs 17 22
Third down efficiency 8/16 7/14
Fourth down efficiency 1-1 0-2
Total yards 338 274
Passing yards 247 229
Passing – completions/attempts 19/34 29/48
Rushing yards 91 45
Rushing attempts 26 16
Yards per rush 3.5 2.8
Penalties-yards 4-36 5-35
Sacks against-yards 3-8 5-37
Fumbles-lost 2-0 1-1
Interceptions thrown 1 0
Time of possession 30:27 29:33
Source: NFL.com
The Giants led in both passing and rushing yardage. Had more sacks, recovered more fumbles, less penalties, more yards per plays.

Yep, just pure luck that they won. :rolleyes:

Please don't turn the Patriots into the Ohio St. of pro football.
People grow quickly tired of excuse making for losing a game.

WHY? Peruse the NFL thread to see my take on this team. Most notably "Daze of our Lions".

Some of these fail to consider the idea that the teams that these supposed "worst" teams lost to some of the "best" teams. The 1985 Pats and 2000 Cowboys played against unreal defensive teams, the 2002 Raiders suffered from the fact that Gruden was their coach the year before and basically knew everything about them, and the 1994 Chargers lost to a 49ers team that at the time had more stars on it than the Hollywood Walk of Fame. How about we cut the teams a little bit of slack and look at what they were going up against?

I agree with Anders. The 79 Rams were leading the Steelers in the 4th quarter of Super Bowl 14. The Panthers almost beat the Pats. The 85 Patriots should be number 1. I haven't heard or seen a team that played as bad as the Patriots. You could put the Broncos and Giants in there based on the losses. I mean the Broncos in Super Bowl 24 got crushed as well as the Giants in Super Bowl 35. I just think the Pats were the worst of the worst. Honorable mention goes to the San Diego Chargers because by the time the fans sat down, the game was over.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts