Top Ten Hopper Wish list for 2013

ScottChez

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 2, 2003
Happy new years. Its time for an updated Wish List for the Hopper, it has come a long way since it first came out and it is looking better every month.

Here is my wish (dream) list. Many of these have been posted before.
Please add your ideas and or Vote for the ones you want.

10. Fix or recall the cold weather defect where the Two Hopper Dou Node system

It has issues if the temp go lower than 20 degrees and the switch is in the attic or out side (see other thread)

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/299350-Cold-Weather-issue

9. When you push the select button when watching TV it shows the progress bar

Show it at the bottom instead of the top graphic showing time left. the progress bar of how much time is left is what directv displays.

8. When you push the left arrow when watching TV it displays a 16 Box Icon Grid

It can be setup with all you favorite channels so you can quickly go to them instead of that Search menu. THis is what Direct displays on one of the arrow buttons.

7. Option to add more than One USB OTA Tuner.

The more tuners the better so it can out do the DirecTV Genie

6. Add Steaming Video Icons

For Web channels that Dish has agreements to add and icon to the Menu. There is a lot out there, just look at the Roku player.
We know the box can do this from the Keyboard demo.

Example: add YouTube or BBC NEws, or CNNI International.

This will answer the question for many of the channel requests that customers want but Dish claims they dont have space for.

5. USB AUX Input Tuner

We have the USB tuner now, but how able a new variation of it? A new one with a yellow red and white connector so we can plug in our security cameras to the front door or out came consoles. It would show up on the guide as AUX or what ever we called it. Sell it for $30- $50 and dish makes a ton of profit.

4. Option to Remove ALL Junk channels from the guide using the Parent Locks.

Currently there is a bug you cant remove the Whats on Dish 500 channel 9598 or the Channel 101 on how to use the Hopper. I want a clean guide of only channels I watch.

3. Release the Hopper Keyboard and Internet Browser

There is tons of Video content on the web. I want to watch it all on the Hopper.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads...yboard-Remote-Social-Networking-Concept-Video

2. Turn on the ADD Local button on the OTA USB menu.

Right now the button is there but does not do anything. It is needed for dual market DMAs.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads...re-be-available-for-the-USB-Digital-OTA-Tuner

1. AND NUMBER ONE from the Home Office :)

Software upgrade it to a 6-7 Tuner system with 3 Virtual tuners.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/300228-How-to-upgrade-your-Hopper-to-7-Tuners-for-30

We already have MyPrime Time and the new tune to all 4 Networks when ever you watch a channel day or night.
EXPAND on this to ALL Packages.

Example: if your watching ESPN it tune to all 4 Sports channels (put em on one transponder)

if your watching HBO tune to the top 4 HBO channels (put em on one transponder)

Expand on this even more with My HBO or My Starz. Every night from 2am to 5 am it records all movies. HBO and Starz would play there top movies during this time.
You can then have an instant on demand of HBO or Starz of all the new release movies kept for 7 days just like My Prime time. Dish would add an icon in the DVR list for this.
Of course the provider would have to agree, which I am sure out of HBO, Starz, Show, EPIX, some one would.

Last edited:
This is not a DirecTV vrs Dish Thread. Both providers have pros and cons. I just switched form DirectV to Dish so I should know.
This thread is about the future and what features we want added to the hopper, fixed or adjusted.
DIRT please compile notes and pass to Corp after a week.

7, 8, and 9 -- why didn't you get D* instead of E* ?
For other, more important reasons, obviously. Is it wrong to want useful features added to Dish, if they are already used by another carrier?
4 - not a bug, it's by-design
That doesn't mean it's desirable for users. If enough complain, perhaps they'll change it.

That doesn't mean it's desirable for users. If enough complain, perhaps they'll change it.
I do wonder if this is a long-standing policy. Anyone with an old receiver able to check?

And for what it's worth, I block a lot of channels and the inability to block 9598 (what about 9599?) won't cause me to lose any sleep.

I locked 9599 from a 222 and then locked the system but 9599 still appears in the My Channels guide list. I set up a fav list that included 3 channels and did not include 9599 and while on that fav list only the 3 channels I wanted appeared in the list. So it appears you can't lock that channel out even on a 222. I could problably test it on older equipment but I'm not sure that would really help.

Put me down for additional cross hopper integration....

I'd like to edit, delete and add times from one hopper to the other hopper..

I would like to see more integration between hoppers. I would like to be able to choose any tuner from any hopper to use. I would also like to set up timers from one hopper on another. Make a client in the hopper like the joey is. This way you could pause live tv on one hopper and pick it up on another hopper like you can do with a joey.

I would like to see more apps.

I want ALL my content on my Hopper, I dont want to switch inputs to a different device to watch something that my Hopper is more the able to do itself.

Stuff like Netflix, Shoutcast, Tune In Radio, Amazon Instant Video, Twit.TV etc...

Other than Twit.TV, those are competitors with Dish's offerings. Netflix + Amazon >> BB@Home, Shoutcast + Tune In >> Sirius. Just can't see it happening...
They may be competitors in the content arena, but not in transmission. Why should cable/dsl get the only piece of the pie in delivering the Netflix/Amazon streams? If they could be delivered via satellite then that would give more people options for being able to use Netflix/Amazon, especially in areas where broadband speeds are unattainable.

My wishes:

1. I'd like to see User-created Folders in the DVR list behave the same way it did on the 722 and earlier receivers in that content saved into a user-created folder would only display when you went into that specific folder, yet all other content could still be grouped/sorted into folders per program. As it sits now, if you go to "My Folders", there is no way to have the remaining programs grouped by show title.

At the very least, I'd be satisfied if they revised it such that shows you had set to go to a specific folder, didn't show up in the main "Folders by Title" screen. (i.e. the only time you'd see recordings placed in a specific folder was once you switched to "My Folders" and went inside that specific folder)

2. Add back the ability to rename programs in the DVR list (again, like we could on the 722 and prior receivers)

3. Add a "Protect/Unprotect" Toggle to the menu that pops up when you select a recording, instead of forcing us to go into a separate "Edit" screen just to set the "Protect" option.

4. Like the OP stated, Activate the "Add Locals" button to manually add OTA stations w/o having to re-scan.

These two are my wishes also.
My wishes:

1. I'd like to see User-created Folders in the DVR list behave the same way it did on the 722 and earlier receivers in that content saved into a user-created folder would only display when you went into that specific folder, yet all other content could still be grouped/sorted into folders per program. As it sits now, if you go to "My Folders", there is no way to have the remaining programs grouped by show title.

At the very least, I'd be satisfied if they revised it such that shows you had set to go to a specific folder, didn't show up in the main "Folders by Title" screen. (i.e. the only time you'd see recordings placed in a specific folder was once you switched to "My Folders" and went inside that specific folder)

2. Add back the ability to rename programs in the DVR list (again, like we could on the 722 and prior receivers)

Top of my list would be a better, more 722 like folder system like DWS44 suggests.

After that, I would like more intelligent unlocking options. We keep things pretty tight and it can be annoying. I would like the ability to "unlock program" or "unlock for x hours" so we don't have to re-enter the PIN everytime we surf/swap away during commercials.

Fix the remaining bugs/annoyances on the hopper. Like ptat logos not showing on the hoppers guide or allowing resume points on shows still recording (really annoying for football games).

Create dish remote access apps for other platforms (windows/windows phone 8, kindle, windows 7, smart tv's, etc).

I would like to see more apps.

I want ALL my content on my Hopper, I dont want to switch inputs to a different device to watch something that my Hopper is more the able to do itself.

Stuff like Netflix, Shoutcast, Tune In Radio, Amazon Instant Video, Twit.TV etc...

I agree. I would LOVE to have HBOgo and Amazon Instant Video apps on my Hoppers. For those of you that say they wouldn't because those are competitors I would look at it like this, if a customer could access all of these apps from the Hopper then they would all get a Hopper for a one box solution. If everyone gets a Hopper and uses the apps on there then fewer people are buying other add on devices which should help Dish as well. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)