Tornados Hit Moore, OKC, Oklahoma, once Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not more underground shelters, whether personal or public? I'll assume cost is a major factor?

Made me tear up amd good to see some good news come out of this horrible tragedy!!

Such terrible devastation and thoughts and prayers out to everyone in this tragedy

Wow such devasation and my thoughts and prayers out to all the families in this tragedy!!

Why not more underground shelters, whether personal or public? I'll assume cost is a major factor?

Public shelters are no good, as at most you only have about 5 mins warning that you are in the bullseye.

Cost is a huge factor for most people. Just a basic steel safe room is going to run you $4K without installation and those are not going to withstand an F4 or F5. In ground shelters are really the only way to ride out those monsters and that is going to run you $8 to $10k with installation unless you are outside city limits in rural areas and can avoid some permits / inspections / underground utilities and such.

The City has a map of registered storm shelters and a 2nd search and rescue team is going in with maps of these locations to check, now that power lines are cut out of the way

Why is it, it takes a disaster for people and businesses to give large amount of funds to relief charities? It's like getting home owners insurance after the house catches fire.

Over the years, I've given blood, given money to the Red Cross, Salvation Army and NERT. It may not be much, but it feels great to give donations to relief organizations.

Last edited:
Public shelters are no good, as at most you only have about 5 mins warning that you are in the bullseye.

Cost is a huge factor for most people. Just a basic steel safe room is going to run you $4K without installation and those are not going to withstand an F4 or F5. In ground shelters are really the only way to ride out those monsters and that is going to run you $8 to $10k with installation unless you are outside city limits in rural areas and can avoid some permits / inspections / underground utilities and such.

The state does rebate back $1500 on a storm shelter costing $2000 or more. My whole family has tornado rooms (i.e. concrete rooms above ground with steel triple bolted doors). My brother and sister use as a pantry, my parents as a filing room.

There are a lot of companies that sell prefab storm shelters that they come out and bury on your property. You have to go outside to use them, but at least they are around $2k and the state ends up rebating most of it back to you.

On the business front, we now have power to 3 of our 4 locations. No natural gas to 2 of them, water will probably be restored by tomorrow. 2 of our 4 locations are open, hopefully we will have 3 tomorrow. The location at 19th and Telephone, the center of the devastation will probably take longer to open without power, gas or water.

We had one employee whose house was destroyed in 1999's Moore Tornado had their house destroyed again.

The state does rebate back $1500 on a storm shelter costing $2000 or more. My whole family has tornado rooms (i.e. concrete rooms above ground with steel triple bolted doors). My brother and sister use as a pantry, my parents as a filing room.

There are a lot of companies that sell prefab storm shelters that they come out and bury on your property. You have to go outside to use them, but at least they are around $2k and the state ends up rebating most of it back to you.

On the business front, we now have power to 3 of our 4 locations. No natural gas to 2 of them, water will probably be restored by tomorrow. 2 of our 4 locations are open, hopefully we will have 3 tomorrow. The location at 19th and Telephone, the center of the devastation will probably take longer to open without power, gas or water.

We had one employee whose house was destroyed in 1999's Moore Tornado had their house destroyed again.

I totally forgot about the state rebate. Still you're not going to get it done for less than 4-5k in the City limits. I have a list somewhere of the costs and spec that came with some of our insurance pricing.
Rural areas outside of OKC and Tulsa and the smaller Cities like Lawton, Ardmore, Ada, McAlester etc.. it's definitely more cost effective. It was $4k for a concrete prefabbed one to be installed at our neighbors ranch outside Pontotoc about 4 yrs ago, but he had to use his own backhoe and dig the whole and then backfill.

Just trying to put one in my backyard, between City easement, utility easement and my trees, would be very cost prohibitive. It's been 6 years, but I looked for someone to do a concrete reinforced room in my house when it was built and even with my contacts I couldn't get it done for less than $8k, maybe it's come down since then.

10K on a storm shelter or the life of a loved one or yours, which would you pick?

Not a lot of people can afford them whether it is $2000 or $10000. They can't afford the $20-30 a month for liability car insurance let alone financing a storm shelter.

I may have one put in at my lake place (assuming they don't have to blast, there's a reason its called Rocky Point), but its just not feasible at my home. 99% of tornado's are EF3 or less and I've been around many and sat through 3 in my life, so I don't really worry about it too much.

10K on a storm shelter or the life of a loved one or yours, which would you pick?

For me and the safety of my family if I lived near that region.. Move out of State.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts