Tornados Hit Moore, OKC, Oklahoma, once Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shelters saved lives in Moore, Okla., tornado, though FEMA 'safe room' program not available

http://www.kjrh.com/dpp/news/local_...o-though-fema-safe-room-program-not-available

What was not available was a new $2 million "safe room" program the city had hoped to start. Moore got money to help with such shelters after tornadoes in 1991 and 2004, but city officials posted a message in February advising residents their pursuit of a Federal Emergency and Management Agency grant remained "on hold" pending approval of the city's hazard mitigation plan.

The message also noted that since Oklahoma had not had a presidential disaster declaration for several years, the city's priority for a grant would be lower.

Many homes in the tornado-prone center of the nation lack basements either due to unstable soils or high water tables. Even some underground shelters leak at times.

Then there's the cost -- $2,500 to $10,000 for basic models that fit 2 to 6 people, even more for larger, more elaborate models. In some situations, like mobile home parks, safe rooms may be free-standing buildings anchored to a concrete slab.

3 major tornadoes in 14 years,many lives lost.I would say it's time to have shelters in all of the schools,and major incentives to help folks that don't have the money get them.

If you are in a flood zone, you are not allowed to rebuild. Seeing how some of these same areas are being hit by tornado's so much and within such a short period of time, it seems obvious that there is a certain weather pattern for these tornado's where they are more prone to happen. Perhaps they should prevent building in these areas just like how they prevent building due to flood zones if an area has an x amount of tornado touchdowns within an x period of time.

If you are in a flood zone, you are not allowed to rebuild. Seeing how some of these same areas are being hit by tornado's so much and within such a short period of time, it seems obvious that there is a certain weather pattern for these tornado's where they are more prone to happen. Perhaps they should prevent building in these areas just like how they prevent building due to flood zones if an area has an x amount of tornado touchdowns within an x period of time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tornado_Alley.gif

That would be a lot of the US to give up...

Hurricanes do a lot more damage, but there is a lot more warning for people to evacuate.

That would be most of Oklahoma. Heck half of the Tulsa metro is in a major flood zone along the Arkansas River. Flooding has been mitigated to where it is almost non existent in the majority of the City due to Tulsa's flood planning that was enacted 30 some years ago. Detention ponds and creek rerouting have stopped flooding in all but a few small isolated areas.

They were saying some of the other's from the voice might be involved...

I figured the Swon Bros would and I thought some others might too.

I would expect appearances by most of Oklahoma's homegrown stars. Reba, Garth and Trisha, Vince Gill, Carrie Underwood and perhaps Brooks and Dunn. Miranda will probably perform with Blake. Toby Keith is supposed to be planning something too.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I'll bet us in oklahoma won't get to see it either. Storms are already starting to fire up this evening so I would wager the weatherman will be going crazy with graphics and interruptions. If it goes from a tornado watch to a warning they will immediately breakin and preempt programming till the warning expires

Had to be driving our local nbc affiliate weatherman crazy not to break into the concert when every other local had preempted programming or moved it to subchannels so they could show us the pretty colors of their radar loops. As soon as Blake signed off they jumped in to give us an extended look at which point I changed the channel

Caught a little on the way in on Prime Country from Sirius, watching the tail end now from my NBC "local"... Usher and Blake made a good duo on the final song, going to record from ,my NBC west feed to watch later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts