Status
Please reply by conversation.

Cascade

Goose.
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 1, 2004
37.134004N 76.561779W
Most of us have seen these toroidal dishes sold by WaveFrontier (Mostly the T-55) or one of the many clones out there that claim a 60 degree azimuth spread. Sure, they look great but here's some information to anybody thinking about buying one of these dishes.

For FTA on Dish or Bell you'll need an inverted LNB, the WaveFrontier has 2 reflectors. The LNBs used on the toroidal dish are specific to this application, they cost more and can't be used on a standard dish without some trickery.

LNB spacing is another issue, for those who want to receive Galaxy11 and Nimiq1 you're SOL.

Setting the LNB spacing for more than 2 LNBs is a nightmare.

* * * * * The most important point * * * * *
The reflectivity of the dish equates to using a DirecTV dish. You have only 20inches (55cm) of dish to collect a signal - useless for anything other than FTA on Dish or Bell.
You will not get a usable signal on any other satellite unless you mount this thing on a 10,000 mile-high fencepost (Just don't ask me to work out your Az/El for that one.)

Without discriminating against those who have a legit sub to more than 1 satellite provider, the toroidal dishes are targeted at those who either have a legit sub to Dish and Bell, but mostly to those who wish to steal programming as their LNB settings chart only lists DishNetwork and BellExpressVu LNB positions. These dishes are sometimes sold as BlackBird FTA dishes, Silverbird FTA dishes or Silver Bullet FTA dishes.
The kicker is, they're selling for $199+ at standard retail prices without an LNB.

I've answered many questions from people (other forums etc) who complain that they can't get T5 or they can only see a Dish or Bell bird only to tell them this:

If you're half serious about true FTA get yourself a 33" dish, an LNB and an SG2100. Including shipping from a reputable dealer such as PSB.
You'll save money (As I did), get a far better signal and obtain hundreds if not thousands more channels than these toroidal things.

That is, unless you have half a forest in your back garden.

Apologies to anyone who already bought one, i had one question too many about these things...

Feel free to move this into the reviews/faq section if appropriate.

Thanks for the info Cascade

So they seems too good to be true :)

I'll stick with my motorized unit

I saw a company on eBay hawking them for $99ea a couple of weeks ago. I was soooo tempted until I saw past the gloss and realised it's just a 20" dish.
Apparently they do make a larger version for more $$ but again, for the LNB cost and the hassle setting them up I don't think it's worth it.

The toroidal dishes are really designed for the european market, where they have many high powered ku sats.

Very true.
Don't get me wrong, the design is superb and I'd love to own one if I could afford it.
The reason I posted this is that the majority of visitors are here in the USA, a lot of people are new to the FTA scene and can be easily taken in by claims of "Receive 4000000 satellites on one dish!!"

The moral of the story is do your homework, ask questions and most of all, have fun with it.

You wrote " Without discriminating against those who have a legit sub to more than 1 satellite provider, the toroidal dishes are targeted at those who either have a legit sub to Dish and Bell, but mostly to those who wish to steal programming as their LNB settings chart only lists DishNetwork and BellExpressVu LNB positions. These dishes are sometimes sold as BlackBird FTA dishes, Silverbird FTA dishes or Silver Bullet FTA dishes.
The kicker is, they're selling for $199+ at standard retail prices without an LNB."

Tell me if you did not make any assumption. Do you think Toriodal really target to the hackers only? People please open the mind. When you pass by a house seeing a Toriodal dish on the wall, do you think people living in that house are hackers?
Toriodal is a legitimate company. They invented such dish even before the other hacking devices (such as Blackbird, Silverbird....) introduced in N.America.
How about those subcribe to all 3 services (DirectTV, DishNet and BellVu) but have limited space, therefor a Toroidal is a good dish to solve their problem?
DVBCLUESS

Cascade said:
I assumed nothing.
The fact of the matter is that people buy these things thinking they'll get true FTA whereas all they can receive is DBS.
Retailers promise the world on one dish and deliberately advertise these dishes in the hacking forums.

No, I am not in a disagreeable mood. I just point out the fact. Well, if the mod tells me "shut up", do no post any disaggreable points, then I will not post my points here anymore. I read the board's rules, none of mine violates the terms.
DVBCLUELESS

TuxCoder said:
This user, "dvbclueless" seems to be in a disagreeable mood at the moment, posting negative responses to the effect of "nothing new", "what's the point", "you don't know what you're talking about" yada yada. Four different threads in quick succession, and counting. Probably more in this thread now (sorry Cascade for polluting this nice thread).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts