Toshiba adds HDMI 1.3 and 1080p to HD-DVD

gizzer777

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 15, 2005
none
That was fast..New Tosh on the way

As I mentioned...rumors have been confirmed...a new Tosh HD-DVD model is on the way...Being intro's in Europe 1st...hear it will be 1080P compatible but so any other far info is sketchy!

Such is the world of electronics....had to happen.

Last edited:
Toshiba today announced two new HD-DVD players scheduled to be released in Europe this November and December.

The players will not be the same as released in the US and will be slightly more expensive.

An entry model for 599 Euro (approx. $768) will be released in November. The HD-E1 will feature a thinner design but will roughly have the same features as the HD-A1 in the US.

A high-end model will arrive in December at a 999 Euro (approx. $1282) price point. This model (HD-XE1) will feature HDMI 1.3 and add 1080p playback to the HD-DVD format.

No news was given about possible updates to the current line-up in the USA

Now Joesp can get onboard!!:D

Well, CEDIA is less than 2 weeks away. We'll see what they have for US market... ;)

Considering 2nd Gen is usually built with less expensive parts and the fact that 1080p output is unnecessary and so is HDMI 1.3, Im certainly not buying it.

vurbano said:
Considering 2nd Gen is usually built with less expensive parts and the fact that 1080p output is unnecessary and so is HDMI 1.3, Im certainly not buying it.
Geesh, vurbano, you just don't get it. ITS COOL LOOKING! Just like all the Blu-Ray players. That's why you should buy it! I'll say it again.. it's COOL looking! :cool:

Heck, that big old beast of a Toshiba you call an HD DVD player looks like one of those old top loading VCRs from the late 70s/early 80s. :eek:

-John

PS> Joking aside, I think 1080p is a great marketing gimmic to fend off the uninformed salespeople. That's why 1080p is necessary.

Last edited:
If someone was buying one of the new 1080p LCDs or DLPs that will be out this fall -- why not purchase a unit that can deliver 1080p?

Also, a certain manufacturer (from Korea) will be bringing out a DLP that uses no color wheel this XMAS. It uses LEDs and boasts instant on, 10000 to 1 contrast, 1080p and provides the entire colour spectrum, and 1 ms response time. DLPs and LCDs can currently only offer up to 80% of the colour spectrum. Have no idea what this means but the first unit will be a 61". I am not even sure that this HDTV can really be considered a DLP. There should be an announcement on this unit in October.

Also, there are many features that HDMI1.3 will be bring to the market. I do not like to step up incrementally with my toys. I always like to jump as far ahead as possible to get the most bang for my buck. I own a Pioneer Elite 58" RPTV. A great set. My next one will be at least 65" to 70" and 1080p. My wife knows this and my uncle wants my Pioneer. I want to see Toshiba's SLED HDTV's and the above DLP I meantioned and see which one I would prefer. I believe both will sport the new HDMI 1.3 standard so that is what I am leaning towards and why I am interested in the new HDMI standards. I know you do not need 1.3 but I believe that these new sets will be able to use 1.3 and provide an excellent viewing of all HD media available. And yes, I am interested in a HD-DVD player with HDMI 1.3. There , I said it (acutally typed it)!:D

Last edited:
JoeSp said:
If someone was buying one of the new 1080p LCDs or DLPs that will be out this fall -- why not purchase a unit that can deliver 1080p?
Because its excess components inside the HD DVD player costing you extra dollars (that could be implemented poorly ala samsung BD) that you dont need and you get the exact same picture with the current HD DVD A1 model. But I suppose the ignorant will fall for this. :confused:

P.S. for the 50 millionth time the A1 unit does deliver correct 1080p on your display, if your display is worth a damn.

Last edited:
JoeSp said:
I always like to jump as far ahead as possible to get the most bang for my buck.

Then dont pay for hardware you dont need inside the machine. Now you will have 2 sets of chips capable of doing the inverse telecine procedure, one in the TV and one in the player and only one will be used. That goes directly against what youve just said. The only reason 1080p output hardware is being integrated into the machine is to match the Sony 1080p propoganda. Its kinda funny though if model A1 is say 400 bucks and the new model say 600 bucks outputing the same damn thing except that the sucker that buys the new model has just sent in 200 dollars extra profit yet sees the exact same image on his screen. :haha

Last edited:
JoeSp said:
It uses LEDs and boasts instant on, 10000 to 1 contrast, 1080p and provides the entire colour spectrum, and 1 ms response time.
Well, the current HLSxx87 models already boast 10,000:1 contrast and have a game mode solving the response time issues. They still have a color wheel, but I consider them a better bang for the buck. Just wait until you see the price tag of the LED model. The 56" model is 4k at onecall. Why not wait for SED????? I think its over 100,000 :1 contrast. You know Ive finally figured out what your ID means. Joe Spec sheet. You swallow the propoganda hook line and sinker just like BluRay. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Has nothing to do with spec sheet. I have been married 34 years and both my wife and I make purchases for the long run. We still have the first couch and master bedroom set we ever purchased. Nothing today even comes close the the build quality. Of course with electronics it is different.

My point about 1.3 is that it will support high bit color, auto lipsync (a current problem with some HD movies), ablility to pass audio natively (including new lossless codecs) and auto sensing of older HDMI specs. The newer sets with 1.3 are supposed to support the higher bit color too. While I consider bang - for - the- buck, I also consider the long haul and what that new technology might bring.

I jumped into HDTV early. First HDTV was a Sony. Then I purchased the Pioneer Elite. My wife wants a flat screen, I want big, I would like to future proof about 5 to 7 years. According to everything I have read 1.3 will push in that direction, however you do not need 1.3 to enjoy HD movies right now. Just a HDMI or 5.1 analog receiver. The latter I have, it is 3 years old. Time for a change.

I was currently looking for a HDMI receiver -- learned alot thru my last post. If I wait about 6 months I will have a pick of 1.3 receivers -- not too long. And by next summer there will be lots to pick from in HDTVs. Also, this little spat between HD-DVD and BluRay should be definately moving towards some direction with the release of 2nd generation HD players from both groups. I am sure I am not the only one looking at this change in equipment from this angle.

Just think of all the people who purchased LCDs last year and if they had waited just one year they could of purchased one with 6000/10000 to 1 constrast, billions of color reproduction instead of millions and 1920 x 1080p instead of a cropping 1366x768 screens. I believe that was a major shift in technology worth waiting for.

Besides, I have a very nice setup now to enjoy while I wait. Denon 3910 DVD, Pioneer Elite 58" with DVI (professionally calibrated), Yamaha 5.1 speakers with 250 watt Powered Subwoofer , PolkAudio surrond speakers, Denon 982 receiver (my weak link), Dish 622DVR. I can wait.:)

vurbano said:
Because its excess components inside the HD DVD player costing you extra dollars (that could be implemented poorly ala samsung BD) that you dont need and you get the exact same picture with the current HD DVD A1 model. But I suppose the ignorant will fall for this. :confused:

P.S. for the 50 millionth time the A1 unit does deliver correct 1080p on your display, if your display is worth a damn.

Sort of. The problem is that you get judder with that. Correct 1080p would be without judder, and telecined/reverse telecined 1080p doesn't exist without judder.

Personally I loathe judder and yes my display is worth a damn.

So I'd like to see 1080p24 or 1080p48 output to get rid of judder.

Last edited:
John Kotches said:
Sort of. The problem is that you get judder with that. Correct 1080p would be without judder, and telecined/reverse telecined 1080p doesn't exist without judder.

Personally I loathe judder and yes my display is worth a damn.

So I'd like to see 1080p24 or 1080p48 output to get rid of judder.

And which of the current machines does NOT use the inverse telecine procedure? Frankly myself and the vast majority of HD DVD owners havent noticed any problems. Ive read about the phenomenom but havent been able to detect it. Is there a Judder thread at AVS?

Last edited:
vurbano said:
And which of the current machines does NOT use the inverse telecine procedure? Frankly myself and the vast majority of HD DVD owners havent noticed any problems. Ive read about the phenomenom but havent been able to detect it. Is there a Judder thread at AVS?

Judder is the result of telecine/inverse telecine. It results from the extra frames you get from the non-integer multiples of the 24fps rate of film.

Have you ever noticed stuttering / jerky motion on what should be a smooth pan in a movie or HDTV show shot on film? That's judder. One of the easiest places to see it is on the credit rolls on the film.

If you haven't noticed it, I don't know what to say, as I've noticed it for far longer than I've been into this as a hobby and as a writer.

vurbano:

I'm curious, why do you have an issue with a device outputting directly what's on the disc (1080p24 for film)?

Those of us with displays that are worth a damn will take 1080p24 and display it at 1080p48 or 1080p72 so that there isn't judder.

You do realize that this process:
1080p24 --> 1080i60 --> 1080p60 is not perfect, right?

These however are:
1080p24 --> 1080p48
1080p24 --> 1080p72
1080p24 --> 1080p96
1080p24 --> 1080p120

John, Vurbano does not believe that there are any problems with the output of the current Toshiba HD-DVD player as it is currently configured. I would say that this is comparible to the time when alot of DVD players had the chroma bug. There were thousands of DVD owners who stated that their unit did not exibit this but they just did not notice or thought that the chroma bug was normal because of what they had been watching before. After most found out what the bug was they could see the bug (some still couldn't) but most did not find it to be a problem.

Because Toshiba and HD-DVD has come out with some decent HD most early adopters are wowed by the output. Some of the HD-DVD output is so much better then regular DVD the early adopters either overlook or do not see any problems with the output of the current Toshiba HD-DVD unit. Maybe this is where Vurbano is with his Toshiba HD-DVD player?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts