Toshiba HD-A2 audio question

ipodbill

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 30, 2005
missouri
I have subject player connected to an Onkyo a/v receiver via hdmi. I played 2 hddvd movies, Miami Vice (DDPlus) and The Matrix (Dolby TrueHD), and both audio streeams show as PCM multichannel HDMI on my receiver which supports both DDPlus and Dolby True HD. The player is set to auto on the hdmi audio setup. The manual says "You can enjoy the benefits of DDPlus and Dolby True HD by connecting HDMI output of the player to an av receiver with an HDMI audio input". Why does it not output those formats?

never mind, i jujst read the thread above on subject.

Last edited:
The HD-A2 does not output the undecoded TrueHD bitstream. It decodes TrueHD internally and sends the resultant LPCM to the receiver. According to some in these threads (and I am convinced!) the result should sound identically the same as long as there are no bit errors due to timing issues. The HD-A35 on the other hand will send the TrueHD bitstream to the receiver, and the latter will show the TrueHD signal as being received. (I have both connected to my Sony 5300 receiver and the above has been my experience.)

BRgds...

Passing bitstreams for TrueHD, DTS-HD, or even Dolby Digital Plus requires HDMI version 1.3 or above.
HD-A2 doesn't have version 1.3. So, it'can't send those bitstreams to your receiver.
However, it can decode those formats internally and pass them as multi-channel PCM over HDMI.
Which, at least in theory, gives you essentially the same result in the end: the same PCM bits, whether the decoding is done within the player, or within your receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts