Toshiba HD-A2 with DVI HDTV

waltinvt

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 16, 2004
Vermont
I just bought the HD-A2 and apparently it's already exceeded my technological expertise. :) Neither have I been able to get a satisfactory answer by searching.

Using the HDMI connection to my HDTV's DVI with an adapter, some dvds (HD and SD) seem to play fine but others won't provide any video - only sound. Everything seems to work ok with component but I'm already using my only 2 component connections on the TV and would rather stay away from a switcher.

I read that this issue can be fixed with a firmware update, which I attempted today by downloading 2.5 from the Toshiba site and burning it to a cd.

The problem is when I try to install the upgrade the A-2 it says something about the update not being a valid update for this player.

So 2 questions:

Is 2.5 the correct upgrade and does it resolve the HDMI / DVI problems?

Have others successfully upgraded to it by downloadeding & burning their own cd? I'm not really near enough to do a hardwire ethernet hookup, so I'd have to borrow a wireless adapter from one of my computers and by then I'm so far out of my knowledge range it's laughable.

And GP, you really need to help me out here since you were influential in my deciding on this unit.:D

I can't help with the A2, but whatever you do - don't upgrade firmware over wireless. Botched firmware upgrade
(can happen when you turn on your microwave while in the process of upgrading over b/g) will very likely brick your player.

But I'd recommend to make the effort to connect the player to the internet (wired).

Diogen.

The problem is my player is downstairs, opposite end of the house from my office which is upstairs - I'd need probably a 70 foot of cable.

I wonder if I could bring the player up to my office and temporarily connect it to my router / modem? Couldn't I connect the player to my LCD monitor? But wait, that would be a DVI connection which is what doesn't work.

I also have a HD-A2. I've only had it for a couple of weeks. My T.V. has a DVI connection that I use a HDMI to DVI cable for. I haven't had any problems playing anything before or after I updated the firmware. Does your t.v. have HDCP (high definition content protection)? I have read that could be an issue on certain HD media.

As for the firmware update... I believe you can also request an update disk from Toshiba.

I also have a HD-A2. I've only had it for a couple of weeks. My T.V. has a DVI connection that I use a HDMI to DVI cable for. I haven't had any problems playing anything before or after I updated the firmware. Does your t.v. have HDCP (high definition content protection)? I have read that could be an issue on certain HD media.

As for the firmware update... I believe you can also request an update disk from Toshiba.
Gosh I don't know about the HDCP. It's a 34" widescreen (Dish brand / RCA) with DVI, component & the usual composite inputs. I has the full 1080i capability.

Now I thought it was supposed to "upconvert" regular dvds too but I was trying to play the SNG "Nemesis" disk last night and got no picture through DVI nor component. I then reduced the picture setting on the A2 to 480p and got a picture through component. It was a decent picture but certainly no better than what I got on my regular dvd player and I sure don't want to have to go into a menu each time I want to switch from HD to SD dvds.

Gosh I don't know about the HDCP. It's a 34" widescreen (Dish brand / RCA) with DVI, component & the usual composite inputs. I has the full 1080i capability.

Now I thought it was supposed to "upconvert" regular dvds too but I was trying to play the SNG "Nemesis" disk last night and got no picture through DVI nor component. I then reduced the picture setting on the A2 to 480p and got a picture through component. It was a decent picture but certainly no better than what I got on my regular dvd player and I sure don't want to have to go into a menu each time I want to switch from HD to SD dvds.

I would think (although I'm no expert by an means) that your t.v. has HDCP. That being said, it does sound like your firmware does need updated. I would go to the Toshiba website (or call) and order the udpate CD. Sorry I couldn't be of any more help!

I'm no expert either but thanks for the replies - I will contact Toshiba.

So since high definition content protection is nothing more than copy protection on a more digital scale, are not the hardware manufacturers still supposed to respect the right of the consumer to at least "view" the content? In other words not use methods that might possibly restrict legal viewing or even making a backup copy?

I wonder if I could bring the player up to my office and temporarily connect it to my router / modem? Couldn't I connect the player to my LCD monitor? But wait, that would be a DVI connection which is what doesn't work.
That should work.
HDCP kicks in only when playing protected content (HD/BD only at the moment).
If your DVI wasn't working because of the HDCP, it should not prevent you from taking the player upstairs,
connect to the router and LCD (even if it doesn't support HDCP) and upgrade firmware over the internet.

Diogen.

So since high definition content protection is nothing more than copy protection on a more digital scale, are not the hardware manufacturers still supposed to respect the right of the consumer to at least "view" the content?
Depends on the content.
The new protection - HDCP - applies only to digital connections (DVI/HDMI) and the latest formats (HD/BD).
There were plans to restrict playback of those formats over analog (VGA/Component) by cutting the vertical resolution
in half (ICT, Image Constrain Token). It hasn't been implemented on either format and most probably won't until at least 2010.
The HD players also respect protection on regular DVDs, i.e. CSS. They suppose to upscale the picture to 1080/720 over digital
but won't do it over analog. Make sure you set the player's output resolution to what your TV can accept.
If you burn a copy of your DVD after stripping the protection from it (region, Macrovision, CSS), no restrictions will apply.
In other words not use methods that might possibly restrict legal viewing or even making a backup copy?
You must be kidding...:)
Making a backup copy as a "right" is a very grey area. Especially after DMCA. Studios certainly make an effort for it do disappear.
If you do get caught with a copy of your legitemately purchased DVD, you won't be sued. But this is as much as the "fair use" will do today...

Diogen.

Walt,

When you burn a disc, since it is an .iso file, make sure that you use the appropriate software to burn an image. Nero works well for burning .iso.

S~

Depends on the content.
The new protection - HDCP - applies only to digital connections (DVI/HDMI) and the latest formats (HD/BD).
There were plans to restrict playback of those formats over analog (VGA/Component) by cutting the vertical resolution
in half (ICT, Image Constrain Token). It hasn't been implemented on either format and most probably won't until at least 2010.
The HD players also respect protection on regular DVDs, i.e. CSS. They suppose to upscale the picture to 1080/720 over digital
but won't do it over analog. Make sure you set the player's output resolution to what your TV can accept.
If you burn a copy of your DVD after stripping the protection from it (region, Macrovision, CSS), no restrictions will apply. Diogen.

This all seems very confusing to me but maybe it's because the HD-A2's HDMI / DVI problem is compounding things and I'm not clear what is caused by that vs what are normal copy protection issues.

Ok, with my HDTV set to 1080i and the A-2 (once it's working properly) also set to 1080i and connected to the TV with an HDMI cable using a DVI adaptor, shouldn't I be able to play normal dvds and HD DVDs without having to change any settings and see the HD DVDs in 1080i HD and the normal dvds as up-converted to 1080i ?

Ok, with my HDTV set to 1080i and the A-2 (once it's working properly) also set to 1080i and connected to the TV with an HDMI cable using a DVI adaptor, shouldn't I be able to play normal dvds and HD DVDs without having to change any settings and see the HD DVDs in 1080i HD and the normal dvds as up-converted to 1080i ?
Normal DVDs: Yes, you should be able to play them. If some play, some - don't (and you know the DVD itself is OK) - something is wrong with the player.

HD DVD: If your TV set supports HDCP - it should. If it doesn't - try a different cable, straight DVI-HDMI, without an adapter.
Some DVI/HDMI adapters are known to be not friendly to HDCP handshake test.
If your TV doesn't support HDCP - component would be the only option left.
And unless you are really picky, it will offer as good a picture, as HDMI.

Diogen.

My A1 will only upconvert DVDs over HDMI, it gives an error message over component then switches to 480p. It plays HD-DVD over 1080i component all the time.

Normal DVDs: Yes, you should be able to play them. If some play, some - don't (and you know the DVD itself is OK) - something is wrong with the player.

HD DVD: If your TV set supports HDCP - it should. If it doesn't - try a different cable, straight DVI-HDMI, without an adapter.
Some DVI/HDMI adapters are known to be not friendly to HDCP handshake test.
If your TV doesn't support HDCP - component would be the only option left.
And unless you are really picky, it will offer as good a picture, as HDMI.

Diogen.

Ok, this is what it's currently doing (still with 1.1 Firmware):

1) For Commercial HD-DVD (The Matrix Trilogy):

With DVI / HDMI: It starts out with video & audio but looses video after a few minutes or less. Can still hear audio. If I press stop and then resume or play, the video comes back for a few more minutes.

With Component: No video or audio problems that I can see.

2) For Commercial SD dvds ("Open Range"):

With DVI / HDMI: Same as with HD-DVDS. Starts out ok but looses video in few minutes. Can stop / resume to get it back but it doesn't stay. This happens even if I reduce to 480p

With Component: No video unless I manually reduce picture to 480p

3) SD-dvds I burned with Panasonic E-85 from satellite HD source through S-Vid output:

With DVI / HDMI: Good video but audio only comes through optical.

With Component: Both Video & audio fine.

So it seems to up convert my dvds ok, just not the commerical ones. Also, I checked and my tv does support HDCP.

BTW, I appreciate anyone that has the patience to stick with me on this stuff.

Since you don't have any problems playing HD DVD over component, I'd suspect the player/disc/TV are OK.

Upgrade the firmware. Test the DVI/HDMI playback of HD DVD again.
If it doesn't help, change the cable to a straight DVI-HDMI (don't buy Mon$ter!). No adapters.

As soon as you have fixed HD DVD playback, SD DVD playback shouldn't have problems.

Diogen.

Since you don't have any problems playing HD DVD over component, I'd suspect the player/disc/TV are OK.

If it doesn't help, change the cable to a straight DVI-HDMI (don't buy Mon$ter!). No adapters.

As soon as you have fixed HD DVD playback, SD DVD playback shouldn't have problems.

Diogen.

Agreed. There may be some "handshake" issues in the first release. The firmware upgrade will definitely narrow the issues.

Diogen.
Ok, I'll make that the priority. I attempted it once by downloading the 2.5 upgrade from Toshiba and burning it to a CD but had some kind of problem. Can't remember exactly what it was but I think the A-2 said it wasn't the correct upgrade or something. I'll try downloading and burning a new copy later today.

Thanks for your advice and I'll post the results.

Ok, I'll make that the priority. I attempted it once by downloading the 2.5 upgrade from Toshiba and burning it to a CD but had some kind of problem. Can't remember exactly what it was but I think the A-2 said it wasn't the correct upgrade or something. I'll try downloading and burning a new copy later today.

OK, let me jump in and see if I can be of any help. I have the Toshiba 1st generation HD DVD player - the XA1 - connected to my HDTV's DVI connection.

First, it's always a good ideal to have the latest firmware installed - the newer releases (Blood Diamond, Heroes, etc) require it. The firmware update you are downloading from Toshiba is an ISO file - that is a complete "image" of a CD. It requires a different burning technique than just adding files - like mp3's - and burning. In my burning software - Nero 6 - I use the menu "File, Open" to open the ISO file and then it says "Burn ISO Image". Check your software manual or Help file to check how to burn an ISO image.

But, the problems you've been encountering are none I've ever experienced. Only one firmware version gave me problems with my DVI connection, but never "dropouts" like you've had - it either worked or it didn't work. If it "worked", the audio & video played fine, never a dropout. If it "didn't work" (no HDCP "handshake"), the player would display "No HDMI Link" and then "Stop" and refused to play.

I suspect your HDMI cable and/or DVI connector aren't up to snuff. I use & recommend an HDMI to DVI cable from Monoprice - the 6' length, 24 Gauge cable is item 2218. It's only $11.50 + shipping, and has never given me any problems. I'm not sure how long a cable you need, but they have them in 3', 6', 10', 15' 25' & 35' lengths. The longer the cable, the more important it is to have the heavier 24 gauge quality. If you don't want to wait for shipping & buy locally, make sure you get 24 ga., and don't get suckered into those way overpriced Monster cables.

Update your firmware first, and if that doesn't help, definitely get a better cable withe HDMI>DVI conversion built in (no adapter).

Make sure you have the appropriate software for burning an .iso image. You will get an error if you drag and drop, send to, or make a data disc.

S~

Ok, I finally got the 2.5 firmware to take. (Used ISO Recorder at 2x) but as far as I can tell, it didn't really change anything.

I tried playing "Open Range" (Standard commercial dvd) again. It starts out fine over DVI and quits in a minute or so. No audio except over optical, which does continue after video stops.

Through component it will not play unless I manually reduce the resolution to 480p.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)