Toshiba HD-A2 with DVI HDTV

Through component it will not play unless I manually reduce the resolution to 480p.
This is by design.
RE: Audio over digital only - this must be a configuration issue in the player. The movie has a DD soundtrack and the player has to be told to downsample to stereo.

Change the cable.

Diogen.

waltinvt said:
Ok, I finally got the 2.5 firmware to take but as far as I can tell, it didn't really change anything. I tried playing "Open Range" (Standard commercial dvd) again. Through component it will not play unless I manually reduce the resolution to 480p.
This is by design. Diogen.
I thought the A-2 was supposed to up convert std dvds to 1080i? What good would that do it the unit only allowed viewing at 480p resolution?

I thought the A-2 was supposed to up convert std dvds to 1080i? What good would that do it the unit only allowed viewing at 480p resolution?

It does, but only out through the HDMI port. I have my A-2 hooked up with a HDMI / DVI cable to my Sony 46" RPTV (it only has DVI, no HDMI input). I have the A-2 cranked up to 1080i ouptut. I have watched both standard and HD DVD's. PQ and SQ on the few HD DVD's I've watched are both outstanding. Also, the standard DVD's I've watched (upconverted to 1080i) look very good. In fact I believe it does a better job upconverting than the previous upconvert and progressive scan DVD players I have owned.

I would definitely try changing out your cable. If it isn't the cable that would pretty much mean the player is faulty.

I just watched the SD DVD of Evan Almighty today (couldn't wait to get the HD DVD). Looked very good for a standard DVD.

Well I've tried a straight HDMI to DVI cable and a brand new HDMI cable + brand new HDMI to DVI adapter and nothing changed - it still looses video after a few minutes of playing.

It almost acts like it's discovering something it doesn't like (maybe copy protection) and then it quits.

We watched the HD-DVD of Transformers last night through the component connection and it played fine but HD dvd was only half the reason for getting this player - being able to up convert the 200+ standard dvds we have was the other and without a HDMI connection apparently we can't do that.

Well I've tried a straight HDMI to DVI cable and a brand new HDMI cable + brand new HDMI to DVI adapter and nothing changed - it still looses video after a few minutes of playing.

It almost acts like it's discovering something it doesn't like (maybe copy protection) and then it quits.

We watched the HD-DVD of Transformers last night through the component connection and it played fine but HD dvd was only half the reason for getting this player - being able to up convert the 200+ standard dvds we have was the other and without a HDMI connection apparently we can't do that.

You may want to check out your t.v. model # under AVS forum and see if there are any other problems with other people out there re: copy protection and/or problems connecting with the A-2.

Yes, that's a big reason why I got my HD DVD player - to also upconvert the many standard DVDs I have, and rental DVDs of movies that won't be out in High-def for many years.

And, it's not Toshiba or HD DVD that's the problem with upconverting - in the industry's stupid copy-protection "wisdom", standard DVDs can only be upconverted via a digital connection (DVI or HDMI) secured with HDCP. Both Blu-ray & HD DVD planned to also require this for high-def, but delayed implementing it until 2011 or 2012 because of the millions of HDTV's with only analog component inputs. So, for the next few years you can enjoy High-def without HDCP, but to upconvert you need DVI/HDMI with HDCP. :rolleyes:

I'm sure your HDTV has HDCP - as I've said, it either works or it doesn't work. If the HD DVD player ever loses the HDCP connection, it doesn't just fade out the video while still playing the audio - it displays "No HDMI Link" on the LED, and then stops.

So, OK - maybe there is a problem with your TV's DVI connector - have you tried or can you try another device connected to your TV's DVI connection? An HD satellite or cable box, or even a DVD player with DVI or HDMI output? If you connect another device to your TV's DVI connection and have fade outs, then it's your TV. If it plays fine, then the HD DVD player has a problem.

It must have been the A-2 cause I took it back to BB sat and exchanged it for a A-3. So far all my new HD-DVDs and commerically purchased standard dvds play fine through the HDMI > DVI connection and the standard dvds are upconverted like they should be.

There is one problem though - my dvds that I have burned from the HD premium stations to my Panasonic E-85 will not fill the screen. These dvds look great if I play them back on the E-85 but I really don't want to use that machine for general playback if I can avoid it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)