Toshiba HD-DVD Player needs a bit of work

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mike123abc

Too many cables
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK
Well I have my HD-DVD player. First I must say Value Electronics did a great job of handling the mess of delays with the HD-DVD launch. I received my player and 2 movies The last Samurai and The Phantom of the Opera. The other 2 titles Chonos and Million Dollar Baby were delayed, so I expect them to arrive shortly.

The remote control is huge. It has a puzzling length to it. Buttons are pretty hard to find in the dark since they are all shaped the same. It is an universal remote and it does control my Panasonic Plasma without issue.

As far as I can tell the remote works fine, it is the player that has the issues. Luckily there is an option to have the player beep every time a remote control button is pressed. This way you can hear that at least your remote control is working and it is the player that seems to be ignoring it.

I have locked up the player a couple times just fast forwarding and rewinding around an HD-DVD. At least you can reset the player by pressing the power button for 10 seconds.

The player takes a full minute to turn on. You have to wait a full minute to open the drawer. If you have a disc in the player and turn it on, you are forced to wait another 45 seconds or so to get the drawer open since it will insist on loading the disc. If you put in a new disc it takes about 50 seconds for it to load the disc.

The fan on the player is loud. This is essentially a PC without the best cooling solution so it has a lot of noise. The fan does not crank down, it stays the same level.

One also feels more trapped than normal with HD-DVDs. They force you to watch the FBI warnings and such, but you also have no way to get to the menus until you are past the previews. Lucky you can fast forward throug the previews to the movies (or chapter skip).

The unit is sluggish doing many things. Thank goodness you have the remote control beep option so you know that it heard the remote and will get to the command eventually.

I hooked it up to the internet hoping that there would be a firmware release to help, and no luck so far, I have the most current version. Be aware that you have to turn on DHCP for it to get an internet address. It has a built in default IP address of like 192.168.0.2 and no address for a name server. Turning on DHCP and having it ask for a name server fixed this and it was able to go onto the internet and look for an upgrade.

On the bright side the picture is excellent on HD-DVD. I cannot really comment on sound at the moment, I am waiting a bit for the dust to settle on the HD sound formats to get a new receiver that will do the new formats (and have multiple HDMI inputs).

I hope that they are able to address these issues quickly with a firmware upgrade. They should at least be able to get the responsiveness to improve and hopefully shorten the boot time and the load times. They should at least fast path the eject time. Nothing can be more annoying than to have to wait 1-2 minutes to get a disc out.

I feel like I have more of a Beta product than a finished product.

I can see how one would think that. It really is a PC almost like the Tivo D* HD DVR. Its definately slow but the picture and sound for me is amazing. i think they just gotta speed it up a tad. I use a Logitech Harmony remote so the remote was used once before I setup the Harmony. The Logitech setup had the hardware and remote codes so it was a snap to configure. So far I am pretty happy with the unit. I just use the slow boot up to get a beer.

Cheers.

The HD DVD player operates more like a computer and differently than a standard DVD player ... when you turn the HD DVD player on, it may take a little while before it is ready to use. Likewise, other functions may not be performed as quickly as they would on other AV equipment. (-Toshiba HD-A1 User Manual) ;)

Now we have true fodder for a comparison vs it's own higher cost HD-DVD brother and vs the Blu-Rays. I am starting to suspect the cutting of corners to get the price under $600.

I think the real issue is that the software was rushed out. They had a deadline they wanted to meet for competitive reasons. I am glad they have the built in method of doing upgrades of the software -- even if they made the mistake of putting in a fixed IP address rather than a dynamic default. If people can manage to get the box hooked up to the internet hopefully these early problems can be ironed out.

charper1 said:
Can that help the fan issues too?

I hope they have a way to change the fan speed based on temperature and can turn it on with a software patch. I bought this unit knowing full well it would probably have issues being a new format and all. The movie picture quality is worth putting up with the hassels for now.

I plan on getting a dual format player next, I hope they are able to come out with them pretty soon after the Blu-Ray launch. If a cheap BR player comes out with a dual format being a ways off, I will probably break down and buy a BR too.

My first CD player and my first DVD player both have issues... My first "portable" CD player from Sony took 4 C batteries....

Why does everything have to be a computer? Too many bells and whistles make for a very unfunctional piece of electronics. Also, why does it have to hook to the internet? Just more trouble waiting to happen. Can't they just make an HD player that works like a standard DVD? Just ranting I guess.

REB said:
Why does everything have to be a computer?

Both HD DVD and BluRay want to have all these interactive extentions, so many different things running that it practically takes a computer to do them all. Like anyone really used all the fancy features on a DVD.

Another thing that annoys me now about this player is there is no way to single frame forward (or reverse). You either have play, slow or fast forward/reverse!

REB said:
Also, why does it have to hook to the internet? Just more trouble waiting to happen.
It doesn't have to connect to the internet to work, it just adds nice features like being able to play movie trailers from a studio's website or allow easy firmware upgrades.

mike123abc said:
Both HD DVD and BluRay want to have all these interactive extentions, so many different things running that it practically takes a computer to do them all. Like anyone really used all the fancy features on a DVD.

Another thing that annoys me now about this player is there is no way to single frame forward (or reverse). You either have play, slow or fast forward/reverse!

So why not just wait until computer HD DVD drives are on the market and build one?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)