Toshiba's RD-A1 Hard Disk Recorder with HD DVD is World's First

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
Toshiba's RD-A1 Hard Disk Recorder with HD DVD is World's First
by Shane Sturgeon

Excerpt:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Toshiba Corporation today unveiled the future of home video entertainment in an age of digital, high definition content: the world's first digital hard disk video recorder integrating a recordable HD DVD in combination with a 1-terabyte (TB) hard disk. The new "RD-A1" can record and store up to 130 hours of high-definition (HD) broadcasts on its high capacity hard disk and record up to 230 minutes of HD content to a single HD DVD disc.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Full Bulletin: http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/news/2006/06/toshibas_rd-a1.php

Well this is what I want to wait for. Forget about everything else.... I will gladly pay money for something like this.

Looks like it supports 1080p also.... :)
No mention of a price either that I saw. I bet it costs the bomb.
The video quality should be nice. It is using a 14bit video DAC. (Is this not so impressive when talking about HD-DVD?)

That price is insane:down:river .....Even if it can do this::what :river

The new Toshiba machine is capable of storing up to 130 hours of high-definition terrestrial digital broadcasting programmes on its hard disk and up to 230 minutes of programmes with the same quality on a dual-layer 30-gigabyte HD DVD disc.

This is ridiculous: you can already record OTA HD, the only difference here is the recorder.
This is nothing but a disgusting grab attempt - 1TB of disc space doesn't cost more than $500, a capture card is around $100, rest of them basic electronics plus a recorder - even with very high profit margin it still shouldn't be over ~$1,500... :(

T2k said:
This is ridiculous: you can already record OTA HD, the only difference here is the recorder.
This is nothing but a disgusting grab attempt - 1TB of disc space doesn't cost more than $500, a capture card is around $100, rest of them basic electronics plus a recorder - even with very high profit margin it still shouldn't be over ~$1,500... :(

Someone write this day on the calander because I agree with T2K.

teamerickson said:
I wonder if you could record a HD DVD to the hard drive and then burn it to an HD DVD-R?
with the right ripping software and a HD DVD burner you could do it on a PC Im sure for a hell of a lot less money.

RD-A1 is for Japan only!

Toshiba has no intention of shipping the new machine, RD-A1, outside Japan and aims to sell 10,000 units by December.
The company aims to eventually offer HD DVD recorders with a hard disk drive in overseas markets but currently has no concrete plans.

source

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)