Tracking Viewing

psaman

Original poster
Apr 28, 2009
Corpus Christi, TX
My friends and I had a discussion about cable/satellite companies knowing what you are watching at every moment; not Big Brother, but for ratings information, such as how many people are watching. I said I didn't think they had that capability without some type of Neilson-type attachment. I did a search, but I could not find a definative answer;so, is it possible for satellite/cable companies to keep track of what you are watching and do they need your permission to do so?

Yes they do it...

And no they dont need your permission. Its in the user agreement which you agreed to when you signed up.

Now worry not as all data collected is anonymous.

I don't mean to be dense, but I guess I am. Can they not gather the info without the phone line. I thought the phoneline/broadband was needed just for ordering stuff, accessing your account and now for things like Sling boxes.

For cable television they might be able to gather the information without a phone/internet connection (like how a cable modem or ordering PPV works), but satellite television is receive only so they can not gather any information without a phone/internet connection.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)