Traditional Providers Losses, 2nd Quarter 2023 Edition

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeD-C05
This is a estimated number, but if true throws everything off.

While Traditional Provers are still losing over 2 Million subscribers a quarter , YTTV might be the one thing that saves Live TV.

YTTV might be at 6.6 Million, a more then 600,000 gain from last quarter, also it is predicted to gain 3 Million more by this time next year due to getting Sunday Ticket.

Also, has DirecTV ( including Streaming and Uverse ) at 12.5 Million.

That is terrible, Uverse is estimated at 2.5 million, Streaming at 1.5 Million, that means the Satellite side is down to 8.5 million, from a high of 21 million in 2016, right before AT&T bought them and then ruined it.

That means YTTV will have more subs then DirecTV Satellite by this time next year.

I wonder who predicted that?

... We used to get TV from a local cable company "Consolidated Communications". The bill had about a dozen add-on fees. I asked them what the fees were and the reps didn't even know what some of them were. They all had cryptic abbreviations. And every month the bill kept going up. Periodically I would have to call them and my bill would go down. I eventually ditched them.
Where I live we had Consolidated cable and internet included in the rent but I know (when they sold cable) you could see all the fees they charged and you're right, half the fees no clue what they were

Apparently my community had enough with them because they are no longer in the TV business!
actually Consolidated stopped selling able about a year or so ago to new subs in some markets (mine included here in Minnesota) and now they partner with Directv Stream

actually Consolidated stopped selling able about a year or so ago to new subs in some markets (mine included here in Minnesota) and now they partner with Directv Stream
I remember that. I think it was a sign that cable subscribers were dissatisfied and maybe they didn't have enough subscribers left to make it worthwhile?

... Several months ago Consolidated renamed their internet service "Fidium". And when they did that it required a truck roll (at no cost to me). My internet bill dropped to $47 per month. Kind of surprising considering their history of raising prices.

We now have 5G internet in my area. Yesterday I got an offer by email from T-Mobile for $30 a month + taxes, but it requires cellular service too. Without cellular its $50 a month.

Reactions: Mr Tony
I remember that. I think it was a sign that cable subscribers were dissatisfied and maybe they didn't have enough subscribers left to make it worthwhile?
They would rather try and keep internet customers and Telco got out of hand money wise for them. Here in Mankato, MN they are the original Telco so we have 2 options (Charter/Spectrum the other)

... Several months ago Consolidated renamed their internet service "Fidium". And when they did that it required a truck roll (at no cost to me). My internet bill dropped to $47 per month. Kind of surprising considering their history of raising prices.
promo price maybe? Like I say I get my internet and television included in my rent and Consolidated does that with newer apartment buildings so Spectrum can't get into there.

Dish(197,000)/Sling (97,000) lost 294,000 subscribers.

So, 1,270,300 gone from Paid Live TV so far this quarter.

So with the first quarter lost of 2.3 million and this quarter of 1.270 million, we are less then 500,000 from a two quarter loss of 4 million, last year was 5.8 million total that left, so this year looks to be 7-8 million leaving.

This quarter still waiting on the numbers from DirecTV ( estimated to be around 400-500,000 leaving), Cox (200-300,000), Hulu Live ( who knows) and the better estimated numbers of YTTV.

It feels like those churning numbers are accelerating every time DISH reports its results. But there is nothing really new on with the summer season in effect or the fact no actors or writers to create new content, so there really isn't much reason to suscribe to a cable or satellite or even streaming, if there is nothing new on. :smug

Reactions: Mr Tony
Hulu Live lost 100,000.

Cable One lost 18,000 ( only have 149,000 left for video, but has a million broadband subs)

So, 1,388,300 gone from Live TV

So with the estimated numbers of all of DirecTV’s sub losses which are right around 350-500,000, then Cox’s estimated of 100,000, then plus the other smaller companies, loss count is right around 2 Million, so with first quarter loss of 2.3 Million, we could be at 4.3 Million gone, only 1.5 million less ( 5.8 million gone last year) then all of 2022.

The dark horse is YTTV, should have better numbers around the 15th.

Definitely shows cord cutting is growing.

Hulu Live lost 100,000.

Cable One lost 18,000 ( only have 149,000 left for video, but has a million broadband subs)

So, 1,388,300 gone from Live TV

So with the estimated numbers of all of DirecTV’s sub losses which are right around 350-500,000, then Cox’s estimated of 100,000, then plus the other smaller companies, loss count is right around 2 Million, so with first quarter loss of 2.3 Million, we could be at 4.3 Million gone, only 1.5 million less ( 5.8 million gone last year) then all of 2022.

The dark horse is YTTV, should have better numbers around the 15th.

Definitely shows cord cutting is growing.

I'm staying at an Airbnb and there is an active YTTV logged in to the TV (not sure if it is the host's or a previous guest's account) but I've been using it to experiment with the service. I see why people are flocking to it, the interface is excellent and it works great. Makes me question why I still have Dish.

I'm staying at an Airbnb and there is an active YTTV logged in to the TV (not sure if it is the host's or a previous guest's account) but I've been using it to experiment with the service. I see why people are flocking to it, the interface is excellent and it works great. Makes me question why I still have Dish.
I do believe I have brought it up to you a few times. :p

1080P Picture, DD+ sound, 3 streams, so no box charge, no DVR charge and if you decide you do not want it for a few months, easy to cancel and start back up, no Dish Pause charge.

You can also customize the guide to whatever your preferences are.

It has continually improved since launch. I just signed back up yesterday in preparation for football season. Also got sunday ticket at a discounted price.

and if you decide you do not want it for a few months, easy to cancel and start back up
That continues to be one of the biggest draws for me, as I dont need it 6-7 months out of the year. So that is a substantial savings year after year vs when I had sat, and that is before you consider the difference in the price of the services themselves.

Definitely not a few pennies saved.

Reactions: meStevo
That continues to be one of the biggest draws for me, as I dont need it 6-7 months out of the year. So that is a substantial savings year after year vs when I had sat, and that is before you consider the difference in the price of the services themselves.

Definitely not a few pennies saved.
Going to be doing the same, once College Football is done.

But with ESPN going streaming the end of next year,/ beginning of 2025, next year will probably be the only time I do so.

Yeah, this is a cycle I'm expecting to start after this season. Will take advantage of annual ST signup offers and enjoy savings in between.
This is the first time in years that I have had ST. Previously I just was not willing to pay the sat costs on top of the ST cost.

I think that the You tube interface should of been what streaming DISH or SLING TV was all about. I hate the guide on Sling Tv because it is very non descript and there are all kinds of channels and freebie channels mixed in everywhere. There is no way to make your own guides or block out channels you don't watch. The dvr is clunky at times and it sometimes misses a show at times. If SLING had this type of guide and dvr library etc , they would of added more subs than they have now and You Tube wouldn't have as many subs as they have now. Instead a generic SLING TV is what you get. Even DISH anywhere interface looks better than SLING.

Reactions: dishdude
The last few Airbnbs I've stayed at have had YTTV, including the one I'm currently staying at in Montana. I wonder how many of the new YTTV subs are Airbnb owners getting accounts for the rental properties.

Reactions: dishdude
The last few Airbnbs I've stayed at have had YTTV, including the one I'm currently staying at in Montana. I wonder how many of the new YTTV subs are Airbnb owners getting accounts for the rental properties.
You can add and drop at will with YTTV..probably not much of a difference

You can add and drop at will with YTTV..probably not much of a difference
Still have to pay for the month, not pro rated.

And why cancel, pay YTTV the extra $10 for unlimited streams for all the rooms, basically $84 a month total, lot cheaper then a Traditional Provider, specially with all the fees, Broadcast, RSN, DVR and Boxes.

Doubtful it really increases numbers that much, thought it was against the rules for a business to use the service anyways.

Doubtful it really increases numbers that much, thought it was against the rules for a business to use the service anyways.
Yeah, not sure, but there are 2+ million Airbnbs in the US (plus the VRBOs, etc.). The last three places I've stayed came with YTTV that appeared to be for the rental only -- not the owners personal account, unless there is a way to have user than cannot see the other profiles on a subscription. Optimistically, if 20% of hosts have signed up for YTTV, that could mean 400K subs. Probably not that many, but it could still be in the tens of thousands. The more subs they get, the better their bargaining power with the networks. Currently, they negotiate directly with the networks instead of individual station owners as well, although that may change.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 9)

Latest posts