Traditional Providers Losses, 2nd Quarter 2023 Edition

Yeah, not sure, but there are 2+ million Airbnbs in the US (plus the VRBOs, etc.). The last three places I've stayed came with YTTV that appeared to be for the rental only -- not the owners personal account, unless there is a way to have user than cannot see the other profiles on a subscription.
Maybe they just use one of the existing profiles, when we all were in one house, both before and after the move in 2020, I never set profiles up, just me, but everyone else was able to use it at the same time.
Optimistically, if 20% of hosts have signed up for YTTV, that could mean 400K subs. Probably not that many, but it could still be in the tens of thousands.
They are rumored to be over 6 Million now, waiting for better numbers to report.
The more subs they get, the better their bargaining power with the networks. Currently, they negotiate directly with the networks instead of individual station owners as well, although that may change.
Hope not, so much easier this way, for example., look at the Nextstar dispute DirecTV is having right now.

Final numbers are out, does include the gains from YTTV, who is the only service to do so.

1.73 Million gone total after the gain.

So with Q1 lost of 2.3 Million ( which was up from 1.95 million in Q1 2022)

With Q2 lost of 1.73 Million , now at 4 million gone, looking at a estimated loss of 7-8 million this year.

Which is up from-
2022-5.8 Million gone
2021-4.7 million gone

Reactions: MikeD-C05
More conformation that DirecTV is just a dumpster fire, the curse of AT&T continuing, anything they buy becomes a disaster .

DIRECTV, which includes the satellite service, DIRECTV Stream and U-verse, lost approximately 400,000 subscribers in this year’s second quarter, according to a new report from Leichtman Research Group. The company says that left DIRECTV with 12.35 million subs total at the end of the quarter, which would make it the third largest pay TV operator in the United States behind Comcast (15 million) and Charter’s Spectrum TV (14.7 million).

However, DIRECTV had 25.47 million subscribers in 2015 (
including Uverse) when AT&T first purchased the company. (AT&T now owns 70 percent of DIRECTV with private equity firm, TPG, owning 30 percent.) That would mean that DIRECTV has lost more than 13 million subscribers in eight years, more than half of its total in 2015.

By comparison, Comcast’s Xfinity TV service has lost approximately 7.3 million subscribers since the third quarter of 2015 (when AT&T purchased DIRECTV) to DIRECTV’s 13 million. Dish, which also owns the live streamer, Sling TV, has lost five million subscribers in the eight years. (13.9 million to 8.9 million.)

After another quarter of pay TV subscribers dropping their subscriptions, Wells Fargo analyst Steven Cahall forecasts that cord-cutting will hit 8.1% for the full year.

Cahall said pay TV would lose 8.1% of its subscribers in 2024 and 2025. Cord-cutting was 6.2% in 2022.

After a round of earnings reports, Cahall said the number of pay TV subscribers fell by 7% in the second quarter. That compares to 6.8% in the first quarter and 4.1% a year ago

Cahall estimates that pay TV penetration is about 56% of TV households, down from a peak of 80%.

Streaming hit a new record high of total TV viewing time in July 2023, and cable and broadcast combined fell under 50% of all TV watched for the first time. Analysts like Cahall make it clear that cable’s days are numbered, and the number is shrinking precipitously with every calendar year that passes.

Charter is out, but they are reporting it differently, they are now including Business Customers in their video totals, so while they are down 200,000 (total video subs-14,706,000), Residential is 14,071,000, Business is 635,000.

They also did not put video losses in the press release.

So down 200,000 with a asterisk

Total down 790,000 this quarter with only three companies reporting.

Edit, a news story-

In their dispute with Disney, Charter suggests they could exit the video distribution business unless Disney helps them usher in a new normal of throwing in the streaming service rights with their traditional broadcast rights.

In their dispute with Disney, Charter suggests they could exit the video distribution business unless Disney helps them usher in a new normal of throwing in the streaming service rights with their traditional broadcast rights.

Might as well just resell Hulu+Live at that point. My mom and brother are pissed. Might be the final thing that makes them switch to streaming live TV.

Might as well just resell Hulu+Live at that point. My mom and brother are pissed. Might be the final thing that makes them switch to streaming live TV.
BTW: I managed to get my family to switch from Spectrum to YTTV. Will save them about $850 per year, which is significant for retirees on a fixed income.

BTW: I managed to get my family to switch from Spectrum to YTTV. Will save them about $850 per year, which is significant for retirees on a fixed income.
Good work.

When we moved to Florida, I thought about switching to Spectrum for their streaming pick 15 channels plan, but once you added up the fees, it was more the YTTV

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 9)

Latest posts