Transfer EHD from a 722 on one account to a 722 on another account while keeping recordings?

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
Is it possible to keep the recordings from an EHD attached to a 722 on one account to another?

I'd be interested in doing this too, and willing to pay the $40 fee for the second account. Why couldn't the two accounts share the same "code" or "key" for that EHD?

What the others are trying to say is that there is one key tied to a single account that does the encryption/decryption of the video data on the EHD. So you can copy them all at once, or one at a time; the copying method doesn't matter. But once copied, the programs cannot be decrypted on an EHD tied to another account becsuse it uses diffrent keys.

Because each account has a unique household key. Be happy you have that. When EHD was first introduced, every receiver regardless if they were on the same account, had a unique key.

So they can't copy and paste that household key onto my second account with the same name and billing address? I guess what I would be trying to do is transfer recordings to the EHD from my 722 and 612 on my first account and enjoy them on the 211 on my second account. I'm not sure if this is what the OP is trying to do as well.

So they can't copy and paste that household key onto my second account with the same name and billing address? I guess what I would be trying to do is transfer recordings to the EHD from my 722 and 612 on my first account and enjoy them on the 211 on my second account. I'm not sure if this is what the OP is trying to do as well.

EHD for 211 is not compatible in any way with EHD for 612/622/722/722k.

I meant if the account to the originating 722 that the EHD was connected to was shut off then you wanted to activate that same EHD to a 722 on a different account.

Keep in mind that these are restrictions imposed (or agreed to by :)) on Dish by the content owners to allow Dish to even offer external HDD. Something so easily, technically possible as what you desire was designed to be impossible in order to appease the content owners. Now does the limitation make sense.

I have a question on this subject. I have a 622 with the EHD enabled and use this for my main HDTV. I have a 501 on the down stairs TV that I was thinking of replacing it with the 622 and getting a 722K for my up. Can I up-load all my save programs onto the EHD from the 622 and then plug the EHD into the 722k and watch them? This will be all on the same account.

Also, I know there will be a lease fee on the 722k. Will the PVR fee double (the 501 is currently free but I pay one on the 622)?

Yes you can move the programs from a 622 to a 722k via EHD. The PVR fee will not double, but you will get socked with a $17 extra receiver fee rather than the $10 you are paying now for your 501. If you don't need the TV2 output on the 622, then you could replace the 501 instead with a 612 without paying any fees.

I have a question on this subject. I have a 622 with the EHD enabled and use this for my main HDTV. I have a 501 on the down stairs TV that I was thinking of replacing it with the 622 and getting a 722K for my up. Can I up-load all my save programs onto the EHD from the 622 and then plug the EHD into the 722k and watch them? This will be all on the same account.

Also, I know there will be a lease fee on the 722k. Will the PVR fee double (the 501 is currently free but I pay one on the 622)?

Question #1: Yep.

Question #2: Not sure about that.

back to the original question for the thread, I don't see why you couldn't use the same EHD for a different account, the problem is that when you get it onto a receiver on another account, the new receiver will reformat the EHD for that account and wipe it clean.

You have actually been paying more than you would have if you had designated the 622 as your primary receiver (which is free). You would have been only paying $10.00 per month (for the 501), instead of $17.00 (for the 622).

Definately call in on that. Do you own the 622? If it is leased, when it was activated it should have automatically become the primary receiver ("any ViP receiver activated is considered to be activated prior to existing non-ViP receivers").

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)