Transfer favorite channels from a Hopper 3 to a Joey?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

upsss

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
AZ
I cannot figure out how do you copy/transfer my favorite channels list from the Hopper 3 to a Joey. I don't want to spend another hour redoing the all the favorites on the Joey. I just switched from Direct to Dish and there it was a very simple process.

Right. The whole home system was designed with the notion that each TV/Client was likely the primary TV viewing experience for different people in a household. Of course there are situations when mum and dad have sole viewing rights in both the living room and their bedroom, so a copy of favorites channels list makes sense. No way to do so, I don't think there will EVER be a way to do so. It is probably low on the list of things to deal with on the Hopper line.

Reactions: upsss
I shot video of our favorites in the Edit Channels "In List" selector...I toggled with the CH +/-, paused for about 3 seconds so I could stop at each page that made it much quicker when I did our two 4KJ's. It really helped because We have two versions for each Box (Wife/Me). In case something happens I have the video for easy reinstall.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I cannot figure out how do you copy/transfer my favorite channels list from the Hopper 3 to a Joey. I don't want to spend another hour redoing the all the favorites on the Joey. I just switched from Direct to Dish and there it was a very simple process.

The DISH guide defaults to show just the channels that you get which the DirecTV guide does not. I usually recommend that customers leave the guide set at 'All Subscribed' so they get all their channels and they also get any channels that come up in free preview or new channels as they're added. If you have a favorites list set then you miss free preview and new channels.

The DISH guide defaults to show just the channels that you get which the DirecTV does not. I usually recommend that customers leave the guide set at 'All Subscribed' so they get all their channels and they also get any channels that come up in free preview or new channels as they're added. If you have a favorites list set then you miss free preview and new channels.

That would drive me Crazy (I know some/most already think I am!)

I have 150 IN LIST & 578 NOT IN LIST.

I couldn't imagine navigating 728 Channels when looking to see what's on!

Reactions: joegr
That would drive me Crazy (I know some/most already think I am!)

I have 150 IN LIST & 578 NOT IN LIST.

I couldn't imagine navigating 728 Channels when looking to see what's on!
My wife and I do not have a favorite channels list. We have so many timers set that most of the time we never do watch anything live so we never use the guide to see what is on. On the rare occasions if we are out of things to watch in our Recordings folder we take a look in the PTAT folder for something that looks interesting to watch. Have PTAT set 24/7 all four PT channels.

I know you can back up those settings, including favorites lists, into the remote, and then restore that into a new or replacement receiver. I don't know if that would work backing up from a hopper, and restoring into a Joey. If you want, I can post instructions on how to do that so you can give it a shot..

My wife and I do not have a favorite channels list. We have so many timers set that most of the time we never do watch anything live so we never use the guide to see what is on. On the rare occasions if we are out of things to watch in our Recordings folder we take a look in the PTAT folder for something that looks interesting to watch. Have PTAT set 24/7 all four PT channels.
Same here. I almost never watch live TV

I know you can back up those settings, including favorites lists, into the remote, and then restore that into a new or replacement receiver. I don't know if that would work backing up from a hopper, and restoring into a Joey. If you want, I can post instructions on how to do that so you can give it a shot..
I just tried that from my Hopper 3 remote to my Joey 2. It didn’t work.

Another one of the reasons I use parental controls to lock and hide the channels I never want to see, you can copy them from the Hopper to
Joeys.

The DISH guide defaults to show just the channels that you get which the DirecTV guide does not. I usually recommend that customers leave the guide set at 'All Subscribed' so they get all their channels and they also get any channels that come up in free preview or new channels as they're added. If you have a favorites list set then you miss free preview and new channels.

For free preview channels you can add them to your favorites list while in preview. The next time they are in preview you will see them. I do surf the guide frequently and couldn't imagine having to go through all the sd, shopping and religious channels every time to find what I wanted.

You're right about new channels though. For some reason I didn't have 4k channel 540-03 in my guide until recently. I probably missed some 4k stuff.

What would really solve this situation is if Dish somehow implemented a Profiles feature. I remember the now dead SezMe DVR and at its heart was the extremely elegant Profiles feature based on different colors and letters for at least four different members of a household. Just about every setting was unique to each of the profiles and only the recordings made with in a profile would display in the DVR list for that same profile. No mixing of all the recordings in one display. That was a long time ago and I remember thinking that that profiles feature was the best thing to ever come to DVR's for multi household members since the DVR itself! If Dish could come up with a profile feature, especially for the 16 tuner Hopper 3, that would be far easier than remembering to use the Folders assignment each time a different person wanted to set a DVR timer. I know because I often forget to assign some recordings of the other DVR to my backup folder or even my own system of folders.

OP, consider yourself lucky that you can at least build a unique list of channels on Dish clients, the Joey's. Wiith TiVo the list that you build at the DVR also becomes the default channels list at the connected client Mini. In fact, there is no way at the Tivo Mini client to access any of the channel settings whatsoever. So, if the household member at the Mini client doesn't like the Favorites that were set up by the other household member who uses the main TiVo DVR, then the person viewing at the Mini is out of luck, as is everyone else using their own Mini client connected to that same DVR. There are a few other things that the Tivo Mini cannot do that the TiVo DVR does, but I don't want to take the time to get into them here.

What I will say is that the Dish Joey's do absolutely everything the Hopper DVR can do except for the Bar Mode 4-channel PIP and YouTube, which is more and nearly identical as if you were at the DVR than what the Tivo Mini provides. Further, TiVo makes no distinction of different stop and resume points based upon the DVR and each TiVo Mini client paired to the DVR. That last one is a particularly sore point with me, because other people will watch the same recording but then stop it at a different point, and then I have no choice but to pick it up from the last viewers stop Point rather than my stop point I made earlier, if all of that make sense to you. And there is more than I've mentioned so far, so my earlier statement about not taking too much time to get into the whole list still holds true. :). However, there is no doubt that the Tivo Mini client is absolutely the best accessory that TiVo has ever developed and its entire history, and I highly recommend using the TiVo Mini clients for their main purpose because it's a lot cheaper than getting another DVR box just to watch the same content in another room.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)