Transfer recorded shows

Dr Pepper

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 7, 2010
Bowling Green KY
I have an appointment to upgrade to a hopper 3 from a hopper w/sling. Can I hook an external drive to the hopper w/sling and transfer the recordings to it? If so can I then transfer them to the hopper 3 ?

Thanks

I have an appointment to upgrade to a hopper 3 from a hopper w/sling. Can I hook an external drive to the hopper w/sling and transfer the recordings to it? If so can I then transfer them to the hopper 3 ?

Thanks

Yes you can transfer to an external hard drive or you can transfer your recordings from the old Hopper to the new Hopper with an ethernet wire.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Yes you can transfer to an external hard drive or you can transfer your recordings from the old Hopper to the new Hopper with an ethernet wire.
But you will need to hold on to that old Hopper for a while if you do the Hopper to Hopper transfer. It takes a lot of time to do the transfer. Your tech will not be able to wait. So, if you do it that way, arrange to have a box sent to you to return the old Hopper after you get the transfer completed.

Reactions: JSheridan
But you will need to hold on to that old Hopper for a while if you do the Hopper to Hopper transfer. It takes a lot of time to do the transfer. Your tech will not be able to wait. So, if you do it that way, arrange to have a box sent to you to return the old Hopper after you get the transfer completed.

We leave all the old receivers with the customers and DISH sends a box for what they want back.

Reactions: ekilgus
We leave all the old receivers with the customers and DISH sends a box for what they want back.
That's good to know because i was thinking of offloading my HWS HD onto an external HD prior to upgrading to an H3, but if the installer would leave me with the HWS i can send it back after i do the transfer. i don't know how long 1 terabyte worth of data would take to transfer, but probably longer than the installer wants to hang around.

That's good to know because i was thinking of offloading my HWS HD onto an external HD prior to upgrading to an H3, but if the installer would leave me with the HWS i can send it back after i do the transfer. i don't know how long 1 terabyte worth of data would take to transfer, but probably longer than the installer wants to hang around.
It would probably take a day or more. The good thing is that you don't have to monitor it and can continue to use your new Hopper just fine...

Like has been said it will take a day or two for that much data. And like Bobby also mentioned, the ethernet transfer moves all your recordings including PTAT but the transfer to EHD doesn't.

Personally I've had better luck moving all the recordings with the ethernet transfer. In my experience sometimes the EHD transfer gets corrupted files.

I would transfer what I could now to the EHD, and then when the installer gets there, transfer the rest(PTAT mostly) to the receiver Ethernet. You know what they say, “Failing to Plan is Planning to Fail”

Reactions: navychop

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)