Transfer recordings to new Hopper 3

nagol99

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 15, 2006
Currently have Hopper with Sling, wanting to upgrade to new Hopper 3. Will the install tech be able to copy my recording to the new H3 while he is here, or will I need to use an external had for this?

I'd use an EHD. Hopper to Hopper transfers, if they work at all, might take days. The installer isn't going to do that. Make sure to keep your 40 remote or transfer your timers before it goes away.

I'd use an EHD. Hopper to Hopper transfers, if they work at all, might take days. The installer isn't going to do that. Make sure to keep your 40 remote or transfer your timers before it goes away.
If he would try to take your 40.0 remote, tell him you bought it to replace the original that went bad. You might want to keep using it over the 52.

Currently have Hopper with Sling, wanting to upgrade to new Hopper 3. Will the install tech be able to copy my recording to the new H3 while he is here, or will I need to use an external had for this?
Get an external hard drive and transfer all your recordings over to it well in advance to the tech visit. He won't wait for transfers to finish. Some may leave the old receiver for you to finish transfers but I wouldn't count on it.

You can leave recordings on the external drive if you don't use DishAnywhere. DishAnywhere will only see recordings on the internal drive.

Don't forget to transfer timers and configuration to your remote before swapping out receivers. Once the H3 is installed, pair the old remote to the H3 and restore from remote.

My H3 upgrade worked perfectly the first time but when I upgraded to HWS, it took several tries to transfer timers and configuration and I needed to switch back to the original Hopper several times before I got a backup that would work, so don't let the tech leave before the restore succeeds. Many techs don't know about the timer/config backup/restore. I've heard some report here the tech said it wasn't possible! So you may need to know how to do this and insist it gets done before the old receiver leaves with the tech.

I have an external HD I use on my laptop, if I use that to connect to my hopper w/sling and transfer my recording to it, the copy to my new hopper 3, will I then be able to take it back to my laptop, format it, and continue to use it in my laptop as an external drive there?

You should be able to, but remember when you plug it up to the Hopper it will delete anything currently on the hard drive, so make sure to back up any files to your laptop first. Once plugged into your laptop again you might need to reformat it. If anything, the files on the drive will not be readable from the laptop.

I have an external HD I use on my laptop, if I use that to connect to my hopper w/sling and transfer my recording to it, the copy to my new hopper 3, will I then be able to take it back to my laptop, format it, and continue to use it in my laptop as an external drive there?

A portable EHD powered only by the USB connection is not recommended by Dish. Dish recommends a desktop EHD with it's own external power supply with capacity up to 2 TB.

A portable EHD powered only by the USB connection is not recommended by Dish. Dish recommends a desktop EHD with it's own external power supply with capacity up to 2 TB.
But you can use a powered hub with that USB powered EHD to make things right.

But you can use a powered hub with that USB powered EHD to make things right.
Not recommended means " don't call us". I use a straight usb drive with no issues. (But there is probably a reason they don't support it, like heat ).

Well, I guess I have jinxed myself taking about replacing my hopper. When I turned my tv on this morning, I see a message from the hopper "hard drive failure" and all my recordings are gone!! Guess there is no need to worry about backups now!!!!!

Just contacted dish to upgrade to hopper 3, tech supposed to be here tomorrow (5/9) between 12:00-5:00!

BTW, the Favorites lists are saved, but not their names. At least, that's what happened when I replaced my failing HWS with a replacement. Did it twice and same thing happened both times.

BTW, the Favorites lists are saved, but not their names. At least, that's what happened when I replaced my failing HWS with a replacement. Did it twice and same thing happened both times.
That's OK, I can live with that. There's really only one long list that I don't want to have to create on the new Hopper if I don't need to.

I recently returned a bad Hopper. The Tech in replacement receivers, said Dish had a way to transfer your recordings . I got the impression he was not supposed to talk about it?
Aurora Colorado.......I was thinking when they get the old receiver back, perhaps they could transfer the recording to your new existing receiver?? He did not elaborate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)