Status
Please reply by conversation.

jammy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Beaumont, TX
Here's my situation & a (big) bit of background first:

After having a 5 lnb satellite dish installed, I lost all my OTA channels. D* sent someone out to have a look at things and the guy said that he thought that the problem was with the OTA input on the receiver - he said that there was 'voltage' being generated there, whereas there should be none. (He actually tested this by touching the OTA input connection with his tongue - yuk!!). By the way, I have an H20 receiver upstairs which can receive the new MPEG4 stuff, but I have held on to my HR10-250 downstairs so that I can continue to record HD programming.The problems I describe below are with the HR10.

After playing around with splitters, I actually got 2 of my OTA channels back - 4-1 and 8-1 (I live in the Dallas-Fort Worth area).

Then a second problem developed where I was losing satellite signal intermittently - I would get a 'Searching for satellite' message for up to 2 minutes and then the signal would come back again.

I called D* to set up another service call. I happened to mention to the lady that dealt with me about the problem with OTA. She seemed to think it was significant that I was now able to get 'even-numbered' OTA channels (4-1 & 8-1), but not 'odd-numbered' channels (5-1 & 11-1). She didn't really offer any reason why she thought that this was significant.

Anyway, the service call was meant to be this afternoon, but all that happened was the same guy as last time called me on the phone and said that he still thought the problem was a faulty receiver and that I should get D* to send me a new one.

I have oredered a new receiver and (FINALLY my main problem!), I want to know if there is any way that I can transfer the HD material on my old HR10 to the new HR10 before I return the old HR10 to D*.

I would appreciate any comments/assistance.

Thank you.

jammy said:
I have oredered a new receiver and (FINALLY my main problem!), I want to know if there is any way that I can transfer the HD material on my old HR10 to the new HR10 before I return the old HR10 to D*.
Thank you.

removing the old hard drive and installing it in the new HR10 :)

jammy said:
Here's my situation & a (big) bit of background first:
After having a 5 lnb satellite dish installed, I lost all my OTA channels. D* sent someone out to have a look at things and the guy said that he thought that the problem was with the OTA input on the receiver - he said that there was 'voltage' being generated there, whereas there should be none. (He actually tested this by touching the OTA input connection with his tongue - yuk!!). By the way, I have an H20 receiver upstairs which can receive the new MPEG4 stuff, but I have held on to my HR10-250 downstairs so that I can continue to record HD programming.The problems I describe below are with the HR10.
After playing around with splitters, I actually got 2 of my OTA channels back - 4-1 and 8-1 (I live in the Dallas-Fort Worth area).
Then a second problem developed where I was losing satellite signal intermittently - I would get a 'Searching for satellite' message for up to 2 minutes and then the signal would come back again.
I called D* to set up another service call. I happened to mention to the lady that dealt with me about the problem with OTA. She seemed to think it was significant that I was now able to get 'even-numbered' OTA channels (4-1 & 8-1), but not 'odd-numbered' channels (5-1 & 11-1). She didn't really offer any reason why she thought that this was significant.
Anyway, the service call was meant to be this afternoon, but all that happened was the same guy as last time called me on the phone and said that he still thought the problem was a faulty receiver and that I should get D* to send me a new one.
Thank you.
From this post I assume the loss of OTA channels is on the HR10-250? Are you diplexing the local antenna on a line coming from the AT9 dish? If you are it won't work, the AT9 uses the same bandwidth as the OTA channels. You need a separate line for the OTA channels.

jammy said:
D* sent someone out to have a look at things and the guy said that he thought that the problem was with the OTA input on the receiver - he said that there was 'voltage' being generated there, whereas there should be none. (He actually tested this by touching the OTA input connection with his tongue - yuk!!).

Who is this guy?!? With his tongue! Hasn't he heard of a voltage meter? I think at that point I'd ask the guy to leave.

-JustBob

Thanks for all your responses.

hdtvtechno - is replacing the hard drive as you suggest something that d* would do for me as part of an install? - I wouldn't have the slightest idea how to do this!

p.s. is there anyway this might be done by simply hooking up the output of the old receiver to the new one and recording?

boba - Yes to both your questions. If you are saying what I think you are saying does this mean running a completely new cable between the dish and receiver?

justbob - I hear you, justbob! Don't worry - I have thoroughly sterilized the areas he touched with his tongue and put up a warning sign for anyone who gets close to the receiver!

You need a new cable between your TV antenna and the OTA input on the HR10-250. It cannot go through a diplexer with the AT9 dish. You probably have no problems with your existing HR10-250 if the DUMB installer used diplexers.

jammy said:
hdtvtechno - is replacing the hard drive as you suggest something that d* would do for me as part of an install? - I wouldn't have the slightest idea how to do this!
Better not mention the drive swap to D* because once you open the unit, it violates the warranty. If they let you keep the old unit, there are many websites that have instructions on swapping Tivo drives.
jammy said:
p.s. is there anyway this might be done by simply hooking up the output of the old receiver to the new one and recording?
The only inputs on the HR10-250 are the 2 satellite feeds and the OTA feed. There is no way to send anything else to the recorder. You could always feed what you have on the disk out to a vcr, PC, or dvd recorder. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.