Transferring timers and settings from HWS to H3

bwexler

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 29, 2007
San Marcos, CA
Well, I now have my new H3.
I attempted to pair my 40 remote to the H3 to transfer the timers but no joy. The Dish installer couldn't do it, the Dish phone support couldn't do it. Any clue why tho 40 remote wouldn't pair? We have long been accustomed to his and hers remotes and I plan to mirror the Joey 2 on two additional TVs. I know they will all be watching the same program, but as the wife bounces from room to room,often pausing what she is watching, it would be nice if she didn't have to carry the remote with her. The remote would obviously always be in the wrong room.

On another topic the installer informed me that the HWS and the H3 could be directly connected by Ethernet cable and transfer all content by a simple choice on the tools menus. There were only 1440 programs to transfer and it looks like it will only take a little over 3 days and I can watch TV while it works. By Monday I should be able to start watching/testing the availablility of the transferred recordings.

Another interesting point. When the phone tech told me the HWS needed to have the new UI to do the transfer, she had me connect the coax from the dish to the HWS and do the update of the UI. Live TV also worked. This suggests that the main reason Dish won't allow H3 and HWS on the same account is they don't want to. The HWS was working without a node.

Have you unpaired the 40 remote from your HWS?

Regarding program transfer, the direct method is the SLOWEST method. Faster to transfer to an EHD then to H3.

Last edited:
Well, I now have my new H3.
I attempted to pair my 40 remote to the H3 to transfer the timers but no joy. The Dish installer couldn't do it, the Dish phone support couldn't do it. Any clue why tho 40 remote wouldn't pair? We have long been accustomed to his and hers remotes and I plan to mirror the Joey 2 on two additional TVs. I know they will all be watching the same program, but as the wife bounces from room to room,often pausing what she is watching, it would be nice if she didn't have to carry the remote with her. The remote would obviously always be in the wrong room.
You need to unpair the remote from the HWS first.
On another topic the installer informed me that the HWS and the H3 could be directly connected by Ethernet cable and transfer all content by a simple choice on the tools menus. There were only 1440 programs to transfer and it looks like it will only take a little over 3 days and I can watch TV while it works. By Monday I should be able to start watching/testing the availablility of the transferred recordings.
Others have reported similar slowness. It's faster to transfer programs to an external disk. You can leave them there to watch or transfer them to the H3. The only reason to transfer them back is if you plan to watch them via DishAnywhare.
Another interesting point. When the phone tech told me the HWS needed to have the new UI to do the transfer, she had me connect the coax from the dish to the HWS and do the update of the UI. Live TV also worked. This suggests that the main reason Dish won't allow H3 and HWS on the same account is they don't want to. The HWS was working without a node.
The hybrid LNB will work with both HWS (or the original Hopper) or the H3 but not at the same time. Older LNBs in combination with a node sends all transponders from all three/four satellites onto one coax. I believe the hybrid LNB does this internally when connected to a H1 or H2. But for H3, the LNB sends 16 selected transponders from any of the satellites.

Have you unpaired the 40 remote from your HWS?

Regarding program transfer, the direct method is the SLOWEST method. Faster to transfer to an EHD then to H3.

Yes I unpaired the 40, so did the install tech. Probably next Tuesday before I have time to dig in and figure it out.

Does anyone like the 50 voice remote beter than the 52?

Yes I unpaired the 40, so did the install tech. Probably next Tuesday before I have time to dig in and figure it out.

Does anyone like the 50 voice remote beter than the 52?
How long since you got the H3? It usually takes 24-48 hrs for everything to settle in, INCLUDING restoring timers. Have you tried again very recently?

How long since you got the H3? It usually takes 24-48 hrs for everything to settle in, INCLUDING restoring timers. Have you tried again very recently?

I got it yesterday, Thursday. Haven't tried today and won't have time. Will work on it again Saturday.

I'd like the voice remote a lot more if I could say channel twelve (or channel one two) and have it go to 12 rather than 120. Really, the 40 remote was better in almost every way.

When I got my H3 my tech didn't think transferring the timers from my 40 remote would work. He tried it and it appeared it did not work. Later I rebooted my H3 and the timers showed up.

Well I have good news and bad news.
This morning the 40.0 remote paired with the H3 just fine, Yea!!
Checked for timers on H3, nothing put PTAT.
Checked for timers on H2, nothing put PTAT. It seems installing the new UI deleted all the timers and settings.
So now we will recreate timers from scratch.
I have over 600 recordings transferred, so maybe 2 more days till complete. Good news no effort or attention required, a few clicks to get started and it does it's thing in the background.

One more observation, the PQ on the old Changhung 50" is very noticeably improved.
I noticed it immediately and so did my wife.
My wife also is pretty upset with the differences on the 52 remote, but now that the 40 works it will be hers and we will both be happy again.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Checked for timers on H2, nothing put PTAT. It seems installing the new UI deleted all the timers and settings.
I have over 600 recordings transferred, so maybe 2 more days till complete. Good news no effort or attention required, a few clicks to get started and it does it's thing in the background.
Did you unpair your 52.0 remote before you tried to pair the 40.0 remote on your H3, you would have got your timers if you did that I think.

When paring remotes, I had better luck if the remote was sitting on top of the receiver than even a few feet away.

Don't give up on your timers yet. Attempt a restore from the 40 remote. Even if you didn't manually trigger a backup, others have said the receiver and remote do automatic backups so you may find the 40 remote has the timers from your HWS.

When paring remotes, I had better luck if the remote was sitting on top of the receiver than even a few feet away.

Don't give up on your timers yet. Attempt a restore from the 40 remote. Even if you didn't manually trigger a backup, others have said the receiver and remote do automatic backups so you may find the 40 remote has the timers from your HWS.

I agree placing th 40 remote near (1 ft) from the antenna allowed it to pair successfully.

After I paired the 40, I checked for timers. Nothing. So I checked the HWS. No timers there either.
No I didn't unfair the 52 prior to pairing the 40.
I am ready to accept the way things are, and by Monday night I will be ready to move on and return the HWS, unless of course I can't play the recordings on the H3. So I guess the HWS will sit there for another week while I verify everything is working.

You must initiate a restore manually. Simply pairing the remote doesn't trigger a timer transfer from the remote.
Not completely true. When setting up a replacement/upgrade Hopper when the setup asks you to pair the remote pair the remote from the old Hopper that has the settings and you will get a screen that says settings were detected on the remote do you want to restore. Just answer yes and the restore will take place.

That is of course the only time restore will be (almost) automatic.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Yep, Scott issued that warning months ago when the update became available.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts