Transponder 15 on 61.5 gone!

Now, it's miraculously back on with a signal strength of 50 which is about average for me. (I've been compulsively checking since my 1000.4 was installed 2 weeks ago).

Come on E-XV!

Ok, this can't just be a coincidence. This phenomenon occurred at 0512. For years, my receivers have inexplicably tuned to 101 at 0512 every morning.

See this post from 2008: http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...using-odd-behavior-622-722-a.html#post1582657

For several months, I've noticed that at 5:12 every morning, my 622 switches to channel 101 on its own.

I'm pretty regimented in my morning routine. Around midnight, I tune the 622 to 005-00 (KXAS, my local NBC affiliate) so that when I turn on the TV in the morning, it'll already be on the channel I like for my morning news. I wake up at 5:00. I turn on the TV & 622 at 5:02 and the receiver is obviously on channel 5. While I'm in the restroom brushing my teeth, I listen to the news. At 5:12, I hear the channel 101 loop. It's easy enough to resolve. I can even hit recall to bring it back to channel 5, or manually dial it in, or navigate to it via the guide. For the remainder of the day, no problems.

I'd just assumed that this behavior was a nuisance bug since several software versions have passed. I figured it had something to do with the program guide update and subsequent reboot at 3:00 a.m. I'd also assumed it had something to do with elapsed time since turning on the receiver. As opposed to being related to 5:12 a.m. Perhaps it does it 10 minutes after being turned on for the first time every morning? Perhaps it has something to do with channel 005-00 itself?

On weekends, I'm not so regimented, so I haven't been able to determine if it's repeated....until this morning...

On Friday nights, I go to sleep watching the 722 (as opposed to the 622). I don't turn off the receiver at midnight, but rather it shuts itself down due to inactivity while I'm sleeping. This morning, I woke earlier than usual and turned on the TV/receiver at 4:50 a.m. This time I was using the 722. This time I was watching a different channel (HDNET)---in fact I'd surfed a little bit, even swapping tuners, until settling on HDNET.

While making my coffee at 5:12 a.m. on the nose, the channel switches to channel 101. WTF???

The variables:
  • It happened on a different receiver (722)
  • It happened from a different channel
  • It happened after interacting with the receiver (changing channels) before it automatically switched
  • It happened after swapping tuners

Both receivers are going to the same TV. I'm using a DP33. I have a Dish 500 with DP twin pointed at 110/119 and a Dish 500 with DP single pointed at 61.5 (as has been my configuration for years).

It seems this is probably related to my switch, but I find it odd that it only happens at 5:12 a.m.

My closest neighbor is more than 300 yards away and obscured by thick forest.

For a few days last month, I thought the behavior had stopped, but it continued to happen, and sometimes the screen would just go black for about 3 seconds instead of tuning to 101.

As stated, two weeks ago, I had a 1000.4 installed. The auto-tuning to 101 continued to happen. Again, this is happening on 2 different receivers. There are no auto-tune's set.

When this happened this morning, the image broke-up and stuttered for about 5 seconds before finally going to the signal lost screen (specifically 61.5 xponder 15), then the "locals lost, don't call us" placeholder. I immediately started checking key transponders on all 3 sats and everything was optimal except for xponder 15 on 61.5 which was 0.

What the heck is happening at 0512 every morning?

Transponder 15 has nothing on it . It is always 0. At least till the new sat launches today and goes in service. This 5:12 thing happened to me at first when I got my 722k last year. Every day at that time my recording for Msnbc Morning Joe would stop at 5:15 am. It would cut off and stop and the recording would say : stopped by user 1. I eventually set a manual recording for the same show to start and it stopped the problem. I don't have this problem on my 922. My update time is set for 1:30am, so I know it wasn't the reason. Eventually I set a regular timer once again for Morning Joe and it worked without stopping. I never figured out why it did this , but there were others who saw this same behavior on their receivers too.

Transponder 15 has nothing on it . It is always 0...

It's a spotbeam, so you may not be getting it or even needing it, but I do. Perhaps it's just my poor understanding of it, but my local HD LiL's come from transponder 15 (spotbeam 16). When I check it on the point dish screen, the word transponder changes to "spotbeam". Also according to the The List, it is being used. My HD LiL's are channels 6383 to 6387.

My bad. I guess 15 is a spotbeam, but I never get anything on it. But the information about the 5:15 in the morning is still valid.

...But the information about the 5:15 in the morning is still valid.
I see that your 722k was stopping a recording, but was it automatically tuning to 101?

It's just been almost amusing that at 0512 every morning, mine would automatically tune to 101 with the exception of a few times in which it would just go black for a few seconds. Then this morning, it actually loses signal. There was no "acquiring satellite" message, just "signal lost" followed by the locals placeholder.

For years, I've just assumed my 622 was possessed until I discovered it happens on my 722 as well. And now this. Weird.!sadroll

Now, it's miraculously back on with a signal strength of 50 which is about average for me. (I've been compulsively checking since my 1000.4 was installed 2 weeks ago).

Come on E-XV!

Since TP 15 is a spotbeam transponder, Echostar 15 will not help anything with the spotbeams problems you might be having. E12 will still provide spotbeam service at 61.5.

Since TP 15 is a spotbeam transponder, Echostar 15 will not help anything with the spotbeams problems you might be having. E12 will still provide spotbeam service at 61.5.

I don't even know if it's related. I never have problems. It's just @ 0512 every morning. Does it make sense that a spotbeam problem would consistently happen every morning at 0512? Just weird.

At 0512 this morning, transponder 15 on 61.5 went to 0. Everything else seem fine. Anyone else experiencing this?
I usually have problems around 11:30 pm every night with TP 15 going in and out. I don't stay up any later so I'm not sure how long the problem lasts but everything is OK in the morning. I am on the fringe of the spotbeam so I don't know if that causes the problem but everything is fine up until then.

I see that your 722k was stopping a recording, but was it automatically tuning to 101?

It's just been almost amusing that at 0512 every morning, mine would automatically tune to 101 with the exception of a few times in which it would just go black for a few seconds. Then this morning, it actually loses signal. There was no "acquiring satellite" message, just "signal lost" followed by the locals placeholder.

For years, I've just assumed my 622 was possessed until I discovered it happens on my 722 as well. And now this. Weird.!sadroll

I don't recall it happening when the Morning Joe show was stopped. I have seen the 101 channel come up if I lose an ota channel due to lack of signal. The main thing is that I backed up my 1000.4 sat dish with a side sat for 129 and most of the time it records the Morning Joe off of 129 now. So no more problems with stopped timers.

Backed up by 129? What do you do? Run outside and cover the 129 or 61.5 LNB depending on what you need and then do a check switch?

No . I have the eastern arc dish + 129 on my side sat( 1000.2 with lnb adapter ). Most of the time the receiver defaults to 129 sat on hd channels except for those that are exclusive to 72.7 since I don't have 110 any longer in the mix. My sat locals for Houston are from 61.5. I don't have any problems with ota timers not working properly like they did before when I had both 129 and 61.5 in the matrix, since my sat locals are coming from Houston and my ota locals are from Beaumont.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)