transponder signal strength

tollhaus

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
I live about 50 miles north of NYC and in the spotbeam for Boston according the maps here:SatelliteGuys.US - Dish Network ALL.

I want to see if I can "move" and get Boston HD locals. According to the channel list, the HD locals I want are on the 61.5, Txponder 5, spotbeam 2.

We're tuned to the 61.5 for sure. How can I tell (by using the dish pointing menu) if I can get the Boston locals? I put Transponder 5 in the settings on the point dish menu. We have a signal strength between 18-25 for that transponder.

I'm afraid that means that we'll lose our signal lock frequently. Is that the case?

Thanks

Not good enuff

I live about 50 miles north of NYC and in the spotbeam for Boston according the maps here:SatelliteGuys.US - Dish Network ALL.

I want to see if I can "move" and get Boston HD locals. According to the channel list, the HD locals I want are on the 61.5, Txponder 5, spotbeam 2.

We're tuned to the 61.5 for sure. How can I tell (by using the dish pointing menu) if I can get the Boston locals? I put Transponder 5 in the settings on the point dish menu. We have a signal strength between 18-25 for that transponder.

I'm afraid that means that we'll lose our signal lock frequently. Is that the case?

Thanks

That SS just isn't going to be good enuff for continual signal to be able to give you a picture. It will drop out w/very little problem as in maybe just heavy clouds instead of rain. You would need to get a larger dish to get enuff SS to make it worth it.

that's what I figured. I want to make sure that I'm reading "the list" correctly. As I look at the stations that I want to get (for example, Hartford) what exactly do I need to look at if I want to "move" without changing any equipment? I know how to find the Dish Pointing menu and I figure I'll be looking on the 61.5 for a specific transponder. I just want to make sure that I understand the difference on "the list" between transponder and spotbeam.

Thanks

Number Name (Remap) //Type //Satellite //////Transponder ///Modulation (FEC) /////Beam Area /////////PackageAvailability
5181 WFSB (CBS 3) //MPEG4 HD //61.5?W///// 01 //////////////// 8PSK (2/3) /////////[SIZE=-2]Spotbeam 3[/SIZE] /////[SIZE=-2]Hartford, CT[/SIZE] Available

This is the data from "The List" for a Hartford Channel. Assuming that I'm in the area, if I get strong signal strenght on Transponder 01 on the 61.5 Sat, should I be confident that I can get this channel if I "move" to the appropriate address?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)