922 menu & guide on older models?

goresnet

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 22, 2008
Just wondering if when the 922 is launched, will its menu, guide, etc. gui be loaded onto our older receivers? I've only ever had the 722, so I'm not sure if Dish does that, or if it's even possible when they roll out new stuff. I've seen screen shots of the 922 and it looks pretty good.

Of course, knowing Dish, it is possible, but the only way we'll get it is to buy a 922!

The truth is we don't know yet. It would be nice to see an updated look, but not if it hurts the reliability of the 722 or 722k. I'm not really sure which new "features" you would want as the biggest difference is that the 922 has a slingbox built in which we know the 722 or 722k doesn't have.

Suspect there is little to no chance that any GUI changes/improvments will go back to the 622/722 code base. Guarenteed that it is some non-trivial amount of work & testing, and there is absolutely no return on the investment.

I don't care about the slingbox or other features, just wondering if the guide would be as pretty as the 922. Does Dish ever update the graphics on their older boxes?

Suspect there is little to no chance that any GUI changes/improvments will go back to the 622/722 code base. Guarenteed that it is some non-trivial amount of work & testing, and there is absolutely no return on the investment.

Iron,

I'm not sure on your statement that there would be absolutely no return on the investment. That would only be the case if they immediately suspended the sale of all their VIP series DVR's and only offered the 922. But if they keep any of the K models in the line (cost effective alternative) they would be fools to not move some of the interface or menus down to the K's as it could backfire and force people that are on the 'price' edge to choose D*.

Unless they release a 922, 932, 942 etc in the next year, the VIP 62xK's and 722k will still be their 'get a customer' workhorses. I agree there would be some investment in testing but if it's the same interface and no new real development why not use the same architecture.

Scott said no, that the 922 interface, etc., would not be coming to any of the previous models, even though the "K" models are said, by Scott, as well, to be virtually identical inside to the 922's.

I don't suppose that there is any news about current subscribers upgrading to the 922, such as cost, etc...?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)