transponder/spotbeam

ecarl4100

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2006
Tennessee
They just changed spotbeams in my area (fringe for local spotbeam area) and I lost some locals. I have a question about how to check the signal strength ( or lack thereof) of a local channel on a spotbeam. If the blank screen/ no signal display on a fringe spotbeam channel shows satellite 110, spotbeam 23; on the menu, do I go to the signal strength meter, select satellite 110, and transponder 23, or are spotbeams on special transponders? Just wanna see how close I am to getting a strong enough signal for pickup. Thanks

Might be a matter of repeaking your dish.
Where are you, and which locals did you lose?

So far I think Harrisburg get hammered by the new spot beams, but the put it back where it was. Not sure if any others are similarly messed up.
I did maintain a lock during the aborted Harrisburg move with a strength of 56, but that was probably pushing it.

I'm in middle TN (nashville locals). The guy at dish said a bigger dish, seperate from my dish 500, may help, but I'm skeptical. If it doesnt fix itself, I'll either try a bigger dish, or get the national networks, like wnbc. For now, I was just going to try and see/monitor the signal strength of the spotbeam, so I can fine tune according to that transponder.

ecarl4100 said:
They just changed spotbeams in my area (fringe for local spotbeam area) and I lost some locals. I have a question about how to check the signal strength ( or lack thereof) of a local channel on a spotbeam. If the blank screen/ no signal display on a fringe spotbeam channel shows satellite 110, spotbeam 23; on the menu, do I go to the signal strength meter, select satellite 110, and transponder 23, or are spotbeams on special transponders? Just wanna see how close I am to getting a strong enough signal for pickup. Thanks

Nashville major networks for the moment are on 110 satellite, transponder 23.
The other Nashville stations are on 110 satellite, transponder 6.
Nothing is etched in stone. Transponders are up and down like a toilet seat.
Go to menu 6-1-1 and monitor signal there.
If peaking dish, best done in middle of afternoon on a clear day.
Sometimes if you have a good signal with a Dish 500 from 119 satellite, you can cheat the skew or tilt setting of the dish for a slightly better signal from 110 and thus weaking the signal from 119 satellite.
Trial and error. Make sure there are no obstructions such as trees or buildings.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts