traveling

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sable430

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
pa
I am a new customer and was wondering if I can take a reciever with me when I go to my cabin. I have a dish from about 6 years ago that is round, about half the size of the new one. The reciever is HD. The cabin has an old tv so I am not trying to watch in HD, I just want SD. Can you hook up a HD reciever to a non HD dish and still get the channels. Or am I not allowed to travel with it at all.

Thanks

How far is your cabin from your primary residence?

I use one of my SD boxes with an 18" round dish at my other place which is about 110 miles North of my primary residence.

I'm on the edge of our local spotbeam so I still get the local news. YMMV!

I also don't care about HD up there (yet!) Yes you can hook up an HD reciever to a non HD dish.

People do it all the time, Tailgate parties, RV's. vacation homes etc.

You will probably have to redo the satellite setup at the other location, but it will work for any SD channels on the 101 satellite. At that distance you have a good chance of getting local stations as well as national.

Do I need to tell the receiver to look for the 101 satellite or does it find it on its own?

Do I need to tell the receiver to look for the 101 satellite or does it find it on its own?

I forgot that, You may have to go into the setup menu and reset the dish type.

I'm not sure on the verbage the menu uses (it's been quite a while since I've done it) but it may say 18" round dish in the dish selection. Once done you'll be set.

I got everything set up, but it didn't work. I tried telling it to use the 18" round but it gets to a screen that has a progress bar and stays at 0%. I borrowed a neighbors standard receiver and it worked fine so I know that the dish and wiring is hooked up correctly. Am I missing something that is different with my HD receiver, I can't keep my neighbors forever? I guess I could buy a standard they can't be too expensive, but I don't want to.

Thanks

Status
Please reply by conversation.