Travelling with my directv

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Busterw

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
I'm going in a hunting trip this weekend close to home and am taking a spare slimline dish and HD DVR receiver with me. I've done this before and been able to point it correctly to get all of my HD network and local channels with strong signals. However, I can't remember how I figured out using a compass to get my tilt, azimuth and rotation correct or at least close as a starting point. Can someone tell me the settings for zip 31210 as a starting point?

Thanks!
Buster

Last edited:
I went to that site and it gives azimuth but not tilt and rotation.

Last edited:
I think I've absolutely lost my mind since it's been so long since I've done this. I found the settings in the menu which shows azimuth, elevation and tilt. Which adjustments are each of those? I've gone brain dead!!!

The settings on that site are not close to what the receiver shows are correct.

The site shows:
Elevation: 51.1°
Azimuth (true): 193.1°
Azimuth (magn.): 198.3°
LNB Skew [?]: 11.0°

The settings from the menu show:
Azimuth: 215°
Elevation: 48°
Tilt: 64°

So, what do I go with?

Ok, I think I've refreshed my memory.

Azimuth it's rotation on the pole.
Elevation is up and down angle.
Tilt is the vertical rotation of the dish.

The remaining question is do I go with what that site says or what my menu says. I'm guessing my menu.

The settings on that site are not close to what the receiver shows are correct.

The site shows:
Elevation: 51.1°
Azimuth (true): 193.1°
Azimuth (magn.): 198.3°
LNB Skew [?]: 11.0°

The settings from the menu show:
Azimuth: 215°
Elevation: 48°
Tilt: 64°

So, what do I go with?
I checked dishpointer and it shows virtually the same as your menu settings. Go with those.

In the satellite setup, if I'm using a sl3, what do I put as switch type. Do I set to multi-switch since this is not a swim LNB? If so, I don't have to have a 4x4 switch do I? Straight coax to receiver?

Thanks!

As long as you don't have a swm lnb, go straight to the dvr. If you want to use it as a dvr and watch one channel while recording another, you need two cables. IIRC, use the multi switch setting even if you aren't using a separate switch, then set to 3lnb.

I think I'm about to give up. I've set it up as 3 lnb, multi switch, elevation and tilt set to what the receiver says and azimuth set at 215 according to a compass on my phone. If I go to singal meters I get nothing, even slowly changing azimuth in both directions in case my compass is off. I've also confirmed vertical straightness of my post with a torpedo level. I have a swim LNB I've also tried with the setting in setup as swim. Nothing.

Any ideas?

If u have a swm lnb then u need a pi for it. The wire from the dish goes into the pi and then from the pi to DVR. When moving the dish from right to left and left to right and can't get anything try adjusting the elevation of the dish a little and repeat moving dish right to left or left right.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Exactly csloan1981. A swm lnb requires a power inserter. Busterw, you said you have an sl3 lnb. That's a non swm type. Then you said you have a swm lnb. Which is it? How many ports are on the lnb?

I have two LNBs, one is a swm, the other is not. However, I don't have a power inserter. I am wondering however if the non-swm LNB is faulty cuz I ain't getting anything.

Crap, ok I guess I'll order one. If I get an sl5 so I get local HD channels, do I have to have a power inverter or a sup or can I just direct cable to the receiver? This is the one I was thinking about:

KaKu LNB 5 for Slimline Dish Directv Brand Amazon product ASIN B006E89F62

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)