Traxis 3500 0/22k Greyed-Out

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rikoski

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2005
Indiana Dunes
I'm converting an old Winegard dish to FTA and would greatly appreciate your advice on two sticking points.

The antenna is an old 10' Pinnacle which I retrofitted a long time ago with an Ajak HH 180 positioner. I am using a DMS BSC-621 LNBF with 0/22K switching.

This is my third Traxis 3500 setup; the first is a converted 8' Orbitron with Spinclination; the other a converted Unimesh 10' dish. Both are using identical LNBF’s with 0/22k switching. Both work well.

The Traxis 3500 is the later model without the internal modulator.

1. In trying to use the Traxis antenna setup screen, the 22k choice is greyed-out and thus unavailable. *Why is this choice greyed out? Have I missed something? To be sure that it was not a defective LNBF, I swapped out LNBF with a new spare. Same thing. Without the 0/22K, I don't think that I can program this setup easily.

2. Pressing the LIST key on the remote does not give me a list of all satellites by name and equatorial position along with FAVORITES and ALL SATELLITES like my other two Traxis setups do. Is this normal? It certainly is different.

Your comments and advice on what to try next would be appreciated.

The only reason the 22k would be greyed out is if the LNB type is set to Universal

Make sure the LNB settings for KU is set to Standard (or single) and LNB LO 10750

Thank you. I have set it to Standard and 10750, as you suggest.

In fiddling some more, I have learned the following:

If the POSITIONER is set to DiSEqC1.2; the 22k switch is greyed-out and can't be reset.

However, if I set the POSITIONER to NONE; the 22K can be reset to on or off. My choice.

Then if I reset the POSITIONER back to Diseqc1.2; this setting on the 22k sticks although it again becomes greyed out.

Seems like a kluge.

Have you gotten the latest firmware into the Traxis? I can't recall the version # but when I got mine I found it was several revisions old. There were some bug-fixes in those last few firmware files. Google for DMS or DMSI I don't have it bookmarked.

Dang it!
I screwed up my Traxis 3500!!!
I tried to upgrade it to the latest firmware and in the progress, it goofed up.
Now the receiver won't boot up and nothing even appear on the display, not even the time.
Is it possible for me to get it back going again?
The loader won't even recongize the communication between the PC and receiver.
What a tragedy...
HELP!!!!

I'm watching this thread with interest having a now-spare Traxis 3500 that I screwed up in the same way.

I am using three other Traxii (Is that the plural of Traxis?) which have one other bug. Sometimes (DW on AMC-1 for example), the auto scan will find the channel but it won't load. The screen will say "No signal". Putting in the correct pids doesn't make a difference.

My workaround is to take an unused satellite and move it to the correct position and rescan. Then the channel comes up; can be seen; can have the correct audio pid put in, as in the case of DW at 103.0 and reference it for the "Favorites" list.

I notice on the DMS site hat it would cost $45 (plus shipping) just for the first hour. I paid $100 for this receiver early this year so I reckon it may still be under warranty. BUT screwing up the receiver by attempting to install new firmware will not be covered by the warranty.
I am sick about this, since I depend on the fast and accurate (?) blindscan of this receiver.
I hope someone who had similar situation would help me to figure out how to revive this receiver. :angel:
If it can be revived PLEASE let me know!
I may end up trying to find one on Ebay.
I am really sick about it... :( :mad: :rant:

Lak, I had it in the correct settings for the ports between the pc and receiver. I think what has happened what that I did not had the firmware in the proper folder so the loader could locate it and send it to the receiver to be flashed. Apparently when the loader started to do its thing and tried to install the firmware, the firmware was not in the proper place. I believe that caused the chip in the 3500 to be erased.
That was stupidity on my part. I feel like kicking myself for that oversight. I hope this will be a lesson to all of us about being careful upgrading our receivers.
I have hope that I can rescue this receiver. Just gotta figure out how to make it read back to the pc and try reinstalling the firmware. I had upgraded several of my receivers with latest firmware with no problems. I goofed and that is the bottom line of this mess.

With some receivers, you can connect the serial port of a one receiver to the other and have it flash the second one. Now, you will have to do some searching to see if this is available for yours, but you would power on the working one, then power on the one to be flashed. BE WARNED I DON'T KNOW THE EXACT PROCEEDURE. (or if it is possible with your reciver) PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Lak, I use the null modem cable that came with it. I done this kind of proceedure whenever a new SW comes availabe on my other receivers. And never had any problems. This is the first time I boogy up a receiver. Just plain careless...
When I first started the loader to install the SW, I had the cable between the pc and STB. As soon I clicked Connect on the loader and then flip on the receiver from the back. The pc screen stated it recongnized the ports and both was open. Where I messed up (and I am STILL kicking myself for it) is I forgot to have the ABS file in the folder that the loader go to after clicking the Clunk section. Apparently with that SW file not in the proper place, the chipset in the receiver's motherboard was erased.

Larry, you are talking about cloning, and there is no one in my area that has a Traxis 43500. From what I have read lately is that the letter (N,P,K,Q in the serial number) on both receivers must match. One SatelliteGuys member offered to try cloning my receiver with his, but his receiver has the "K" and mine has the "Q". Looks like to me that since my receiver lost all of its SW I could clone from any other 3500 receiver regardless of what letter is in the serial number. His receiver must be one of the earlier ones that came out and be designed differently from the newer ones.
Moral of this story: Whenever you attempt to upgrade your receiver, make damn sure all the neccesary files are located in the proper folders, make sure all the necessary files are zipped if it is in WinZip form.

I am using my Pansat 2700a receiver to do the blindscanning. Whew, slow as a snail, but still good, tho.
I wonder if my Viewsat 2000, Diamond 8000P, Pansat 2000v, or SatPro DSR 500 receiver any faster as the Traxis 3500?
Forget the QualiTv receiver...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)