Treat me like a child..... please explain slowly ...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Racehorse

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2006
Freshly minted dummy when it comes to satellite knowledge here.

I am old and slow and feeble minded, so, as the tread title says, treat me like a child ..... ggggg

Retired and most likely going to establish a connection with E*....
first off, my daughter and son in law have E* ... what procedure do I go through to have them get paid (or what ever compensation method is used) to propose me as a new customer?

The proposal I have in hand from a friend who sells Dish is .... two 522s with hardwiring into both boxes and both connected to a phone line.... regardless of the programming costs (my wife hasn't selected which one we want .... LOL), he says the cost for equipment will be either $5 or $6 for the extra receiver (I forget which ... 5 or 6) and $100 for the second 522.
any comments on that contract?

I've always operated on the NO FEAR principle, so, being feeble minded I have already ordered from eBAy a 625 DVR .... hey ... I have read enough here already to figure I "might" have made a mistake .... ggggg

I gather there isn't too much difference in the 522 and the 625 .. or at least that I saw ....
question ...
should I use this local friend, who seemed a bit reluctant to purchase any receivers he didn't have in stock, can I substitute MY owned 625 for one of his leased 522 (the hundred buck add on) and get the same tv service?
The way I see this is I keep the 625 phone connected to negate the additional receiver cost, but save the hundred buck add on.
comments/corrections/name calling all ok .....

Right now the situation is I MUST keep cable service ... due to Suddenlink demanding a cable tv service to keep broadband internet service. I have ten cable outlets (connected to a booster/splitter at tv service off the pole) run to various rooms in the house and as I understand it that co-ax will be unavailble for satellite use ... correct? ... means new wire run to DVRs ..... correct?

The main reason I don't want to get too full of questions upon which my decision will be made with my buddy is ...... if I don't go with him I don't want him to get upset, as he most likely won't know about it... for my inquiy to him was of exceedingly casual nature ..... asked him for a ball park figure when I saw him in a coffee shop.

HD is not of much importance to either me or my wife, as we're old folks and can't see to dang well anyway ...... hehehehehe

I watch about ten hours of night time programs a week and she watchs about the same ... just not the same programs ..... BUT I do watch the Dallas STARS, MAVs and Cowboys ... *(in that order) every time any of them are on tv....

We do have a couple of HD tvs here, but as I said the HD reception isn't of too much value..... we tried it on cable for a month and, while we could tell some difference, it wasn't enough to make a big deal over for US. .... don't want to get into a debate on the HD aspect here ... I know it is great, but .......

any comments are welcome ...... hey , I'm old and have a thick skin ..... because as I said, I operate on the NO FEAR basis ...... example, I bought my first computer way back in the 70s and have built a couple of hundred boxes ... didn't know a blasted thing when I started, but learned as I went ......

fire away

horse

Your kids can get a "Club Dish" card and you can use the number to get credit for signing you up. $5/month IIRC. Your local installer may or may not actually use the card to give them credit. The installer for my next door neighbor never did.

Horse, Dish has a referral program called Club Dish. If you use it to get Dish, it will give your daughter a $50 program credit ($5/month for 10 months) on their bill along with 5 PPV coupons. You will get a deal on the installation. Have your daughter go to dishnetwork.com and look under "My Account" for the Club Dish page to get a certificate.

I am not sure if you can still use your friend with Club Dish or if you can only go directly through Dish.

The 522 and 625 are the same receiver. The only difference is the 625 adds Video On Demand and has a larger hard drive. No matter what you get, you can add the 625 as an additional receiver to your account.

If you want to keep cable TV on the TVs you are adding Dish to, then you will have to have new cables run. If you don't care, then they might be able to use the existing cable.

Since you are a big sports fan, you should see a remarkable difference in games if you upgrade to a HD receiver.

I am out of the loop as far as pricing goes. You might want to click on the DishStore.net link at the top of the page to compare prices.

When you get your dish installed, tell them UP FRONT that you want to keep your cables intact. Before they leave, make sure that all your existing cable connections, as well as the new connections, still work.

I don't believe they give the PPV coupons anymore- at least that's what has been posted here somewhere.

Well, I'm repeated what I've read here- I should've checked the Dish page (which could be outdated too).:confused:

Freshly minted dummy when it comes to satellite knowledge here.

I am old and slow and feeble minded, so, as the tread title says, treat me like a child ..... ggggg

Retired and most likely going to establish a connection with E*....
first off, my daughter and son in law have E* ... what procedure do I go through to have them get paid (or what ever compensation method is used) to propose me as a new customer?

The proposal I have in hand from a friend who sells Dish is .... two 522s with hardwiring into both boxes and both connected to a phone line.... regardless of the programming costs (my wife hasn't selected which one we want .... LOL), he says the cost for equipment will be either $5 or $6 for the extra receiver (I forget which ... 5 or 6) and $100 for the second 522.
any comments on that contract?

I've always operated on the NO FEAR principle, so, being feeble minded I have already ordered from eBAy a 625 DVR .... hey ... I have read enough here already to figure I "might" have made a mistake .... ggggg

I gather there isn't too much difference in the 522 and the 625 .. or at least that I saw ....
question ...
should I use this local friend, who seemed a bit reluctant to purchase any receivers he didn't have in stock, can I substitute MY owned 625 for one of his leased 522 (the hundred buck add on) and get the same tv service?
The way I see this is I keep the 625 phone connected to negate the additional receiver cost, but save the hundred buck add on.
comments/corrections/name calling all ok .....

Right now the situation is I MUST keep cable service ... due to Suddenlink demanding a cable tv service to keep broadband internet service. I have ten cable outlets (connected to a booster/splitter at tv service off the pole) run to various rooms in the house and as I understand it that co-ax will be unavailble for satellite use ... correct? ... means new wire run to DVRs ..... correct?

The main reason I don't want to get too full of questions upon which my decision will be made with my buddy is ...... if I don't go with him I don't want him to get upset, as he most likely won't know about it... for my inquiy to him was of exceedingly casual nature ..... asked him for a ball park figure when I saw him in a coffee shop.

HD is not of much importance to either me or my wife, as we're old folks and can't see to dang well anyway ...... hehehehehe

I watch about ten hours of night time programs a week and she watchs about the same ... just not the same programs ..... BUT I do watch the Dallas STARS, MAVs and Cowboys ... *(in that order) every time any of them are on tv....

We do have a couple of HD tvs here, but as I said the HD reception isn't of too much value..... we tried it on cable for a month and, while we could tell some difference, it wasn't enough to make a big deal over for US. .... don't want to get into a debate on the HD aspect here ... I know it is great, but .......

any comments are welcome ...... hey , I'm old and have a thick skin ..... because as I said, I operate on the NO FEAR basis ...... example, I bought my first computer way back in the 70s and have built a couple of hundred boxes ... didn't know a blasted thing when I started, but learned as I went ......

fire away

horse
I wish you better luck with your Ebay 625 than I had (DISH said it was clear, when I got it it had a balance and was leased). Your friend will probably have to charge you for installing the 625, DISH will pay for the install on a receiver he leases to you. Cebridge/Suddenlink has a cable package about $25 so you can drop to an economical level if you are required to keep a cable package for internet.:)

Hey ... thanks for the rapid responses .... surely appreciate all the answers .... great forum ya'll have here ...

horse

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)