Tree has grown into the way of the dish

rccks96

Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
I posted in another thread that lately i was getting skipping, and that I thought that it was the result of the latest software update. However, I was outside last night and noticed that one of my trees has grown so big that the branches and leaves are directly in the path of the dish. I'm sure this has to be the cause.

My question - how should I go about moving the dish? Will dish do it for me? Or am I on my own?

remember where the dish faces is not where the signal comes from, I believe the signal comes from about 22 degress above that, anyone help me out on this as I am having a hard time today remember my facts. but the face of the dish it is not straight out from that, the signal comes from above the dish! I have a tree right in front of my dish, but it dosent affect it at all. enjoy and someone else please post to clear up my rambling :)

The 22° number is correct. The signal does come in 22° above where the dish appears to face. If the signal blockage is still due to trees, you can have Dish move it for a fee or you can do it yourself. They will not do it for free.

If you find that it is not a tree, then you might want to check the connections on the dish and switches. You may also want to check the cable for damage.

See ya
Tony

If Dish installed it with the knowledge that the tree at some point was going to end up blocking the dish then you can get it moved for free, if they give you a hard time about it tell them you are cancelling your subscription b/c of their install job, you will be sent to Win Back (although the customer rep would never call it that, it is forbidden to let the customer know that is what it's called, instead they will call it 'your account rep') and they will send someone out to move it to keep your business...

first things first check your signal strengths and take note of any fluctuation when there is a light breeze out, if it's good than bad, you are right and take appropriate action after that

Thanks for all the replies.

The dish person did install it when the tree was there, but it was in winter when there were no leaves on it, and it was 1.5 years ago (the tree has grown since then).

I will try what 'dish dude' suggested, and monitor during wind. It's really bugging me though because i don't know if this skipping is due to the new software update which i received a week or two ago, or it's this tree. Have not had any problems at all in the last year and a half, until the past week.

fyi, it's a 510, and the skipping occurs on live tv as well as recorded programs (but only recently recorded programs).

Yep, I think it is spring foilage that is interupting your signal. Dish does cover that for free if it is done by their tech guys, but since it has been one and a half years since the install job and not the same season, then I think they will charge you. I had the same thing happen to me, when the dish was installed it was fine, but once my tree grew in and the leaves came in then my signal would go in and out during wind storms. Just a few leaves would cut my signal down 30 to 40...

If you call in and simply say your system isn't working, you aren't getting channels, etc. you can schedule a service call. If you're on the dish home protection plan it runs $29. If you're not on it they will usually offer it to you for $5.99/mo, which you can cancel after your stuff is fixed.

Just an update - I called Dish and they wanted to charge me $99 to come out and move the dish. I told them yeah right. I am going to attempt to move the dish myself. If it's a major pain, them I am going to cancel service and sign up with directv. I made sure last night on the phone that I was no longer in a contract with dish (my year is up).

7thton said:
99 bucks? Yikes!
YES that is DISH'S standard service call fee. Signing up for DHPP at $5.99/mo. reduces that to $29.99 and DISH has no requirement that you stay on DHPP for a minimum amount of time. So cancel when problem is cured and save some money. :) :) :)

I'm not paying them a cent to fix something that they did wrong in the first place (they already screwed me out of $25 a few months ago for something else).

Another update.

I raised my dish about 3 feet, and it looks like that's solved the problem (haven't watched too much tv lately though, so i'm not totally sure).

One funny thing though happened - When i moved my dish, i couldn't get a signal when it was pointing in the same direction as it was before. I had to play around with rotating it, raising/lowering the angle till i got a good signal. When i got the good signal, it ended up being pointed in quite a different direction than it was - maybe 15 degrees higher, and rotated to the left about 20 degrees more. Very strange - not sure of the reason (are there a couple different satellites that my dish can point to?) But it works now, so i'm happy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)