Treo vs. Blackberry

Yes. If you r company has a Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES) then you will need Verizon to set you up on their Enterprise Blackberry service. If you just plain on using the Blackberry Internet Service (BIS) you can go with the cheaper Blackberry data plan.

The reason for the difference is really the carriers finding two things they can charge people for. BIS attaches to IMAP/POP3 etc.... BES attaches to those AND a corporate Blackberry server.

I hate the way the providers devide it up like that, Tmobile divides it into 3 services somehow. Caused a lot of work for me when i converted 95 users over to their own self-liability plans across their choice of providers.

Ok, that makes sense; and after going to the University's helpdesk, it appears that they support either IMAP/POP for the Blackberry OR if you are on exchange, you need a Server license:

Determine whether or not you need to purchase a Blackberry Server Access License. If your Blackberry is owned by the University and uses Sprint or Nextel, it already has a license and you do not need to purchase one. Otherwise, you must purchase a Blackberry Server Access License. Your department's technical support staff can work with the Exchange administrators to purchase a Blackberry Server Access License for you.

Right now I am on IMAP.

Can't you put the 4.5 beta on your phone? Many people are loading 4.5 on their Curves right now. I'm waiting a bit to let it all shake out.

Can't you put the 4.5 beta on your phone? Many people are loading 4.5 on their Curves right now. I'm waiting a bit to let it all shake out.

I went through the links in the Blackberryforums.Com forums for mine. Only thing it needed was reset a few times during its first bootup after being reflashed. Since then its been great, i use the thing heavily every day and its been solid. Both of the senior folks in the IT department are running 4.5 now and we havent had issue.

Give it a go, dont be chicken LOL

(Ok I can be gung ho becuase if I ruin the phone i just go grab another one)

-Jonathan

From an operating system perspective I much prefer the Treos which run Windows Mobile OS over the Blackberrys that run RIM's OS...

Windows Mobile has a HUGE developer base that puts out some quality apps and allows for some very cool/interesting customizations. Checkout TheSmartFONE.com for a list of solid Windows Mobile Applications/Hacks/Tips/Games/etc. -- Can a Blackberry run a NES/SNES/Sega emulator?? I didnt think so.

I have to say by and large, I do like the Blackberry's actual physical phones better than the treos (bricks).

I prefer the concept of the Windows Mobile OS over RIMs. But the OS is buggy, and it takes a lot of power to run it. So WinMob reminds me of the pitcher with a 100-mph fastball with control problems. . . . If he could only throw strikes consistently . . .

My gut says that if I make a switch (I still have 14 or so days to decide), it would be from PALM to BB, not Windows Mobile. ALthough running UltimatePhone ont he Treo for the past week, it has been pretty nice. Its definitely the best palm homepage I have ever come across.

Although for me the jury is still out... :)

Today is the last day of my iPhone trial period, and I will be staying with it and AT&T. Reason: Although I am convinced Apple--or third parties--will make the iPhone behave with more of the functionality of the BlackBerry, RIM will not be able to make the BlackBerry look and feel more like an iPhone!

RIM will not be able to make the BlackBerry look and feel more like an iPhone!

Thats a good thing, I personally dont need all these bells and whistles on my corporate email device, and i sure as heck dont need users running free reign with it... The iPhone configuration program for enterprises is lacking and doesnt allow any central control, the BB does. But then they are different devices for different uses.

That's a good point, docpadds. I am an independent contractor, love all those bells and whistles, and don't have to worry about an anal corporate policy. :D

Ahh but it is good to be king LOL

Of course I also nearly got lynched when i accidentally applied a policy that turned Location Tracking on across the board and popped up a message saying as much on the devices!