Tribune Broadcasting Company Blacks Out DISH Customers in 33 Markets;

The fact that it's an extremely good possibility that these disputes are more Charlie than the networks.

Something no one wants to accept.
Your bias against Dish is showing again.

There is no fact in there, just more posturing and postulating, which both sides have been doing.

Troch, wasn't it you who said Dish would try something like ask the FCC to get involved as a cheap trick? Charlie having them on Speeddial or something to that nature?
And that's it's exactly what happened.
Only this time it didn't work the way he wanted it too.
Because Tribune ran there too.
Probably knowing that's what Charlie was going to try and do.

Eventually people figure out trends , especially when they try it so often.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Yes Hughes, but remember Hughes in 2005 was just like what ECHOSTAR is to dish.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

And... Your point is? The birds are IN USE, see below (courtesy of Wikipedia)

Spaceway F1 is part of DirecTV’s constellation of direct broadcast satellites. The satellite was launched via a Zenit 3SL rocket from Sea Launch’s Odyssey equatorial platform on April 26, 2005. Its operational position is in geosynchronous orbit 35,800 kilometres (22,200 mi) above the equator at 103.0 degrees west longitude. SPACEWAY-1 is a Boeing 702-model satellite with a 12-year life expectancy. It provides high definition television to DirecTV customers with its Ka-band communications payload. DirecTV is not expected to make use of the broadband capabilities on SPACEWAY-1 even though it was originally built by Boeing for this purpose.
SPACEWAY-1 was the heaviest commercial communications satellite (13,400-lb or 6,080-kg) ever put into orbit[2] until iPSTAR-1 (6,775 kg) was launched by Arianespace on August 11, 2005.
DirecTV-10 is co-located with SPACEWAY-1 in order to use the 500 MHz of unused spectrum for HDTV broadcasting. This spectrum was originally intended for the broadband internet capabilities of the two SPACEWAY satellites which were disabled by Hughes at the request of DirecTV.

And... Your point is? The birds are IN USE, see below (courtesy of Wikipedia)

Spaceway F1 is part of DirecTV’s constellation of direct broadcast satellites. The satellite was launched via a Zenit 3SL rocket from Sea Launch’s Odyssey equatorial platform on April 26, 2005. Its operational position is in geosynchronous orbit 35,800 kilometres (22,200 mi) above the equator at 103.0 degrees west longitude. SPACEWAY-1 is a Boeing 702-model satellite with a 12-year life expectancy. It provides high definition television to DirecTV customers with its Ka-band communications payload. DirecTV is not expected to make use of the broadband capabilities on SPACEWAY-1 even though it was originally built by Boeing for this purpose.
SPACEWAY-1 was the heaviest commercial communications satellite (13,400-lb or 6,080-kg) ever put into orbit[2] until iPSTAR-1 (6,775 kg) was launched by Arianespace on August 11, 2005.
DirecTV-10 is co-located with SPACEWAY-1 in order to use the 500 MHz of unused spectrum for HDTV broadcasting. This spectrum was originally intended for the broadband internet capabilities of the two SPACEWAY satellites which were disabled by Hughes at the request of DirecTV.
The point is those birds weren't used for what they were intended.
That's the point .
Just because Charles is launching a satellite doesn't mean anything as far as security in his Satellite TV division .

For all you know ,he could sell to AT&T, pack up shop and use his spectrum with his Sling tv division .

His Current satellite fleet over all is lacking reliability.
He has no choice but to invest in maintaining his current fleet.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Maybe in Luzerne that's true but in San Francisco Dish gets it's signal OTA from an antenna just like we do....

Bobby call your station Engineer and ask if they have a PtoP on site. Call Doug Dobson at KTVU and ask him it they have a POP on site. Most of us Engineers know they do. In MI the third smallest Market Alpena has PtOPs at their stations. San Francisco's market is rated in the top 5 no question they have PtOPs on site

Last edited:
Huh, interesting, I assumed that all markets were fed to the POP in that market via fibre. I can't believe that in a market as big as San Francisco they don't have a fibre feed. Evidently they are fibre fed in Birmingham, because they look as good or better than OTA (on most). I have also "moved" to get Atlanta locals (can't get them OTA) and they look really good too, but I can't say how they are OTA.

Absolutely 100% true for all cable and satellite providers in all DMA's

Huh, interesting, I assumed that all markets were fed to the POP in that market via fibre.

Bobvick/Bobby - I KNOW 200% in OUR market this is NOT true! I KNOW this 200%; because when a couple of our local channels OTA transmitters died recently, SO ALSO DID the DISH AND DIRECTV feeds!
But the cable signals on Comcast...because they DO actually get a direct feed from the station directly, DID not go off at all, & the local stations made it a point to state this while it was off.

Here's another FACT in OUR market that proves RONZ (yet again) doesn't have a clue about EVERY market...one of local PBS stations, due to state budget cuts, NO longer runs their OTA transmitter 24/7 & doesn't sign on until 10AM. HOWEVER, AGAIN, since they do have a direct feed to Comcast & AT&T Uverse, (ONLY) those 2 providers are NOT affected. ALL other cable providers in our area - AND BOTH SATELLITE providers - loose the signals when the OTA transmitter is turned off.

http://www.networkknowledge.tv/schedule#page=schedule&day=20160617&provider=Broadcast

The station has signed on at 6:30 a.m., but will now sign on at 10:00 a.m., with a sign-off time of 10:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and 11:00 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. Viewers with service through Comcast and AT&T UVerse will not be affected by this change; only those with off-air and satellite television service will experience the change in air times.

Pretty crystal clear if you ask me...but I'm sure RONZ will say they don't know how their own station works... :rolleyes:

Bobvick/Bobby - I KNOW 200% in OUR market this is NOT true! I KNOW this 200%; because when a couple of our local channels OTA transmitters died recently, SO ALSO DID the DISH AND DIRECTV feeds!
But the cable signals on Comcast...because they DO actually get a direct feed from the station directly, DID not go off at all, & the local stations made it a point to state this while it was off.

Here's another FACT in OUR market that proves RONZ doesn't have a clue about EVERY market...one of local PBS stations, due to state budget cuts, NO longer runs their OTA transmitter 24/7 & doesn't sign on until 10AM. HOWEVER, AGAIN, since they do have a direct feed to Comcast & AT&T Uverse, (ONLY) those 2 providers are NOT affected. ALL other cable providers in our area - AND BOTH SATELLITE providers - loose the signals when the OTA transmitter is turned off.

http://www.networkknowledge.tv/schedule#page=schedule&day=20160617&provider=Broadcast

Pretty crystal clear if you ask me...but I'm sure RONZ will say they don't know how their own station works... :rolleyes:

Call your station Engineer and ask the question I will not argue with you. You PBS might have a different contract with Comcast. As far as a station going silent, due to technical reasons, the station could have just shut everything down. Again I will not argue this point but most of the RF Engineers will be glad to tell you what they have in place. Most all Providers get their signal from the same POP service or as it is called Master Control for your state

As far as a station going silent, due to technical reasons, the station could have just shut everything down.

Geeze, never heard anything so THICK...

Again I will not argue this point but most of the RF Engineers will be glad to tell you what they have in place.

No need to when I've already seen it & proved you wrong...but glad you're not arguing anymore & everyone else here can see for themselves... :rolleyes:

I posted what DISH proposed (with no opinion involved) and someone posted what Tribune proposed apparently after I posted.
I just want to point out Tribune is also claiming THEY offered an extension and Dish turned it down. I'm pretty sure it was posted earlier in the thread and I read it in an online trade magazine. I'll find a link if anyone doubts me. Once again it's "spin" from BOTH sides. Why anyone believes what one side is claiming but not the other...

Nope. Dish in my market gets everyone OTA. Direct gets one station via fiber (pickup location is colocated with that station), the rest OTA. Local cable (TW) gets everyone via fiber. The other 50+ cable providers (I had heard at one time there were over 100) all rely on OTA. Now, it may be true in YOUR market, but doesn't mean it's true everywhere.

Reactions: dare2be
I just want to point out Tribune is also claiming THEY offered an extension and Dish turned it down. I'm pretty sure it was posted earlier in the thread and I read it in an online trade magazine. I'll find a link if anyone doubts me. Once again it's "spin" from BOTH sides. Why anyone believes what one side is claiming but not the other...

Nope. Dish in my market gets everyone OTA. Direct gets one station via fiber (pickup location is colocated with that station), the rest OTA. Local cable (TW) gets everyone via fiber. The other 50+ cable providers (I had heard at one time there were over 100) all rely on OTA. Now, it may be true in YOUR market, but doesn't mean it's true everywhere.

I would say in my region Comcast and Charter get their signals by fiber. In the UP of Michigan some of the small cable system actually use Dish or Direct to get their locals. The over the air signal is just to far from the cable head end. In Curtis Mi they do receive Canadian station over the air and US stations which they can receive. Also Detroit Comcast receives the Windsor market by over the air only but Detroit stations by fiber

The point is those birds weren't used for what they were intended.
That's the point .
Just because Charles is launching a satellite doesn't mean anything as far as security in his Satellite TV division .

For all you know ,he could sell to AT&T, pack up shop and use his spectrum with his Sling tv division .

His Current satellite fleet over all is lacking reliability.
He has no choice but to invest in maintaining his current fleet.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Ok, we'll agree to disagree. By the way, the EchoStar/Dish fleet is no ore "lacking" in reliability than any other operator. I don't know where your getting that from. DirecTV has had much trouble with DirecTV 10 and those Spaceway birds.

Reactions: JSheridan
BINGO!

Another press release from DISH this morning...

DISH: If Tribune Wants ‘Fair Market Rates’ It Should Be Willing to Arbitrate
Release Date:
Friday, June 17, 2016 5:05 am MDT
Terms:
Dateline City:
ENGLEWOOD, Colo.
  • Binding arbitration presents path to end Tribune’s blackout immediately, and would ensure ‘Fair Market Rates’ for Tribune, says DISH
  • Arbitration proposal modeled after Comcast/NBCU consent decree
ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--DISH Network L.L.C. responded to Tribune Broadcasting’s rejection Thursday of a proposal to pursue an immediate, fair and binding solution to restore its blacked-out channels to DISH subscribers.

Tribune blacked out DISH customer access to 42 local channels in 33 markets early Sunday evening.

The following statements can be attributed to Warren Schlichting, DISH executive vice president Programming:

“Tribune claims that it is ‘seeking nothing more than fair market rates for the value of [its] programming – the same market rates that DISH pays other local station groups, and the same market rates that [it gets] from other satellite, cable and telco partners.’

“If Tribune is serious in its commitment to accept fair market rates, then there is no downside for them to immediately restore the Tribune channels on DISH while allowing a neutral third-party arbitrator to review DISH’s agreements with other station groups, as well as the rates that Tribune receives from our pay-TV competitors and determine the fair market rates that Tribune desires on a basis that is binding upon DISH and Tribune.

“This is especially true since DISH has offered to retroactively pay any new rates back to the date that the channels are restored to consumers.”

Among other reasons, DISH has suggested that the arbitration be modeled on the successful arbitration procedures in the Comcast/NBCU consent decree to ensure that there would not be an opportunity for Tribune or DISH to walk away from the decision of the arbitrator.

Schlichting continued:

“Regrettably, we can only interpret Tribune’s unwillingness to participate in binding arbitration as an indication that it actually is angling for rates that are above fair market and that it wants to keep the Tribune channels off DISH as long as possible in order to continue to use innocent consumers as pawns to gain negotiating leverage against DISH.”

In the meantime, DISH continues to fight for customers by distributing tens of thousands of free over-the-air antennas to help impacted consumers regain access to the Tribune local broadcast stations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts