Tribune Broadcasting Company Blacks Out DISH Customers in 33 Markets;

Well having to resort to OTA, that I have ready for times like this, it really goes to show how much better the OTA picture quality is than off the dish. And I just had mine repeaked and a new LNB installed last week. Unfortunate reminders . . .

Are you implying that peaking a dish antenna and new LNBF makes the picture quality better? If it were analog, yes, but with digital, it is all or nothing, so a signal of 25-30% quality that barely gets a lock, but does indeed get a lock and has no macroblocking, will "look" the same as one with a 90% quality.
As for OTA looking better, I find it varies on the channel. Some of my locals look better on satellite. Depends on how many subchannels they have crammed in.

Are you implying that peaking a dish antenna and new LNBF makes the picture quality better? If it were analog, yes, but with digital, it is all or nothing, so a signal of 25-30% quality that barely gets a lock, but does indeed get a lock and has no macroblocking, will "look" the same as one with a 90% quality.
As for OTA looking better, I find it varies on the channel. Some of my locals look better on satellite. Depends on how many subchannels they have crammed in.

In the SF Bay Area, specifically, all of the OTA channels are taken OTA from Dish. They don't have fiber from the transmitters to the Dish hub. So, The Dish local channels gain no benefit if the station has no sub-channels or 10. For example, when our local CBS channel had no sub-channels the Dish picture looked almost as good as the OTA channel. Today that same CBS channel has one sub-channel. The OTA suffered a bit because of this and, likewise, so did the Dish channel.

I wonder if the folks who had the Superstations and/or one of the channels for $2/month and was grandfathered into those channels when DISH stopped selling the Superstations package a few years ago will get the channel back when Tribune and DISH come to an agreement.

I read that as he was saying there's nothing in the Dish signal strength that would affect the picture quality. That the dish had been peaked recently and OTA still looked better (not surprised).
The only case I can see that happening is if Dish has a direct fiber feed of the main channel signal instead of a combined feed coming out of the encoder. That would be strange I would think.

In the SF Bay Area, specifically, all of the OTA channels are taken OTA from Dish. They don't have fiber from the transmitters to the Dish hub. So, The Dish local channels gain no benefit if the station has no sub-channels or 10. For example, when our local CBS channel had no sub-channels the Dish picture looked almost as good as the OTA channel. Today that same CBS channel has one sub-channel. The OTA suffered a bit because of this and, likewise, so did the Dish channel.

Not true Dish receives their signals from master control which gets their signals by PtoP just like cable and DTV does

I wonder if the folks who had the Superstations and/or one of the channels for $2/month and was grandfathered into those channels when DISH stopped selling the Superstations package a few years ago will get the channel back when Tribune and DISH come to an agreement.

No we still have the channels there but we get the same message about the dispute

I was wondering the same. I guess it depends if getting those channels as superstitions is actually part of the contract or not. If it involves DISH paying extra for it mark them gone. :)

SlingTV no longer offering free SlingTV until Tribune and Dish settle their contract dispute ?
Lost CBS and FOX
I clicked on the link above and verified my correct e-mail address on Dish web site on 6-15-16. Was notified I would receive an e-mail back. Never received any e-mail.
Noticed the link above no longer works! Even entered zip code on DishPromise, takes me to my Dish account....
Any suggestions welcome !

Works for me just went there. It goes to my account for verification first.

DISH has asked Tribune to go to arbitration at about 1:30PM EDT today.

No. Just pointing out that I have just had the dish peaked and a new LNB, so if anyone suggests that I might need to have that done. It's been done. All my OTA channels look better than they do from DISH.

Not true Dish receives their signals from master control which gets their signals by PtoP just like cable and DTV does
Maybe in Luzerne that's true but in San Francisco Dish gets it's signal OTA from an antenna just like we do....

I'd love to hear Dish's response to that. Why wouldn't they be in favor of this just as much as Tribune ?
I know exactly why.
Good old Chuck just dropped NFL network too.

But he's doing it for all of us.

Well, I know what I'm doing tomorrow.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Whether or not who ultimately benefits from this maneuver (if it takes at all), the FCC would be in the "room". And I think they finally should be!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)