Tribune Broadcasting Company Blacks Out DISH Customers in 33 Markets;

I think that FCC Forced arbitration should be done for all disputes for tv providers and the companies. Then no more blackouts would happen and they could leave the tv subscribers out of the fight period. I am tired of all the fights over this ,especially over locals. You can get your locals over the air for free if you have an antenna , but you have to pay to get it from the sat/cable company. Forced channel bundling is what is causing our cable channels to go up every year and now the local companies like Tribune are tying the same trick .

I think the FCC has no business getting involved in these disputes. The market will work it out.
Actually it is very much their business. However, they have been taking the same stance as you, but the market has NOT worked itself out, and the inflationary rate of Pay TV has gone unchecked. It's about time!

The government is the source of the problem, not the solution. Cable companies should be able to bring replacement network channels in from out of town. Right now Tribune has a monopoly on Fox, CBS, etc in various cities. Break the monopoly. The government is just crooked and will do anything to increase its power, in return for political donations.

The FCC also forces the sat/cable companies to carry all local channels for free, that should be subject to negotiation, not a requirement. Again, these FCC Commissioners were paid off by the National Association of Broadcasters who lobbied for that.

Dont think anyone will care, but while Dish is in contract talks why not add to the negotiation talks and bring back the Super Station package as a new contract extension. It allowed us to get 5 channels form other Cities. Maybe this time make them in HD? Both Dish and Tribune would make money on a Super Station package from those that sign up. A win win for both once they figure out this other mess.

Dont think anyone will care, but while Dish is in contract talks why not bring back the Super Station package. It allowed us to get 5 channels form other Cities. Maybe this time make them in HD? Both Dish and Tribune would make money on a Super Station package from those that sign up. A win win for both once they figure out this other mess.
I would sign up for the Super Stations if available. Sometimes our local channels will pre-empty a program for various reasons. Would be nice to have the Super Stations as a back up to a program we would rather watch.

There is no end to this. Every new contract networks ask for more so after negotiations and settlement providers ask more from customers. At one point customers will stop paying and will say enough is enough! Then there would be a solution. But for now don't know how long but this is the system. Everyone is asking for more. And we have hundreds of channels which we only watch maybe 20 of them and have to pay for the rest garbage. System is not sustainable in long run. Period.

Dont think anyone will care, but while Dish is in contract talks why not add to the negotiation talks and bring back the Super Station package as a new contract extension. It allowed us to get 5 channels form other Cities. Maybe this time make them in HD? Both Dish and Tribune would make money on a Super Station package from those that sign up. A win win for both once they figure out this other mess.

Actually the Tribune owned superstations are blacked out as well. Not really sure why but they are.

St louis market here representing
qualified for the sling but doesnt look like they will be showing the us open this weekend , and thats the only thing i wanted to watch on fox this weekend
and now losing NFL network , most likely is a deal breaker for me
its a shame, that they are holding us hostage like this

Reactions: charlesrshell
Sometimes our local channels will pre-empty a program for various reasons. Would be nice to have the Super Stations as a back up to a program we would rather watch.
In case you think these "super stations" are back-up options of NBC, CBS, and so on, they are not. In all honesty, I'm not sure what the appeal or interest in the super stations is anymore other than TBS. But to each their own....

Reactions: bspei and Troch77
I just want to point out Tribune is also claiming THEY offered an extension and Dish turned it down. I'm pretty sure it was posted earlier in the thread and I read it in an online trade magazine. I'll find a link if anyone doubts me. Once again it's "spin" from BOTH sides. Why anyone believes what one side is claiming but not the other...
I'm trying hard to stay on point even with replies not germane. Never did I say or imply Tribune hadn't made some offer, if they did or did not has zero bearing on what I posted and the reply that followed. When the DISH report about arbitration was made in my post Tribune had not yet, or at least it had not been reported yet to have responded and wanted the FCC chairman involved. Had it been I would have included it. Further, now find where I have posted anything to say I believe the DISH side more on this.

I think the FCC has no business getting involved in these disputes. The market will work it out.
Unless "market" means the corporations that operate the TV stations, cable companies, and satellite companies, yeah, it's working out GREAT for them. They continue to tighten their grip on the options available to consumers (most local TV stations in medium to large markets are owned by a handful of conglomerates and the providers are buying or merging with each other, reducing choice by customers).

I'm trying hard to stay on point even with replies not germane. Never did I say or imply Tribune hadn't made some offer, if they did or did not has zero bearing on what I posted and the reply that followed. When the DISH report about arbitration was made in my post Tribune had not yet, or at least it had not been reported yet to have responded and wanted the FCC chairman involved. Had it been I would have included it. Further, now find where I have posted anything to say I believe the DISH side more on this.
Relax. I simply used your post as a "kickoff" point. I was not trying to hint/imply that you were posting incorrect information.

Unless "market" means the corporations that operate the TV stations, cable companies, and satellite companies, yeah, it's working out GREAT for them. They continue to tighten their grip on the options available to consumers (most local TV stations in medium to large markets are owned by a handful of conglomerates and the providers are buying or merging with each other, reducing choice by customers).
EXACTLY why the corporations are pushing out the average subscriber out of subscribing to pay tv. This greedy cycle of extortion and forced bundling is killing the present sat/cable model. Either it will collapse entirely or the government will step in and re-regulate the entire industry. The question is how long will it take. Trusting big business to self regulate is like putting the fox in charge of the hen house.

Go blackouts and disputes! Rah rah rah! :D

Should we start a pool for when we think the stations will return? I'll start with June 30.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts