Tribune Broadcasting Company Blacks Out DISH Customers in 33 Markets;

You are not going to Gain NY customers if you don't have NY sports.
Period

Customers know this, and that's why they don't even look at Dish as a provider and haven't for Years now.
It's simple to figure this out.

New Yorker's love their sports Teams.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Maybe native New Yorkers, but how many natives live in NYC and are old enough to pay bills?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

After trying the Sling Blue package for a while during the Dish/Tribune dispute, I'm almost ready to drop Dish in favor of Sling. I already get locals with my Comcast Internet (and basically the internet costs the same with or without them, due to promotional rates). So for "cable channels" I may be better off with Sling.

Not really when dish dropped NY sports really no one left. Seems like all the NY Sports fans already had cable or Directv.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app
That's because Dish Never had anything other than MSG and SNY.

Had they ever Carried YES and MSG+, who knows.
Now they don't have any ,so anyone from this area isn't going to give Dish a single look if they like any of their sports teams, and now with WPIX gone, we'll there goes what sports was left in NY market.
Might as well just drop the entire NY DMA all together.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

If it was effecting the bottom line then you can bet your bottom dollar the channels would be back on (Tribune SNY, MSG etc...)

But its not.

Why waste money that the majority of their customers were not watching?

Not worth more money, to attract more customers, if it ends up making less profit in the end. More customers doesn't always equal higher profits, as we have seen from the yearly financials.
Your talking about percents, not actual profit.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

There aren't that many "new" customers. The industry is stagnant and just shuffling customers around. New customer deals cut into the bottom line so it makes sense to try to trim the fat and try to offer products or services "outside the box" (Hopper3, SlingTV, Flex/Welcome/Smart Packs) to try to keep paying customers rather than letting them go and come back 3 months to 2 years later and get deeply discounted rates. Also, these new packs are being used as a retention tool in place of offering credits, and to lure back some cord cutters who have already figured out that massive TV programming packs are priced through the roof.

So, no, attracting new customers is not high on their priority list.

Last edited:
Reactions: Troch77 and Hall
Yes, it should affect the other parties bottom line more, if Dish made the right decision. Isn't that how winning a negotiation, and checking the powers is done?
I'm sure if your posts of antiDish affected their bottom line, they would look into what happened again and try and settle it. Right now, you Claude do not hurt them at all, and they still haven't paid you the money claimed owed. Battle of business.

I don't get why we always have to resort to getting personal!

Then when why someone fires back in self defense, out comes the guns and swearing and the gang-ups.

Why can't yous just discuss the topic without talking about the member.

That's what I call no defense.....
You wonder why the fanboy card comes out.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Reactions: reddice
There aren't that many "new" customers. The industry is stagnant and just shuffling customers around. New customer deals cut into the bottom line so it makes sense to try to trim the fat and try to offer products or services "outside the box" (Hopper3, SlingTV, Flex/Welcome/Smart Packs) to try to keep paying customers rather than letting them go and come back 3 months to 2 years later and get deeply discounted rates. Also, these new packs are being used as a retention tool in place of offering credits, and to lure back some cord cutters who have already figured out that massive TV programming packs are priced through the roof.
I actually agree with just about everything in this post....
Except for one small thing.

Shuffling customers.
Your exactly right , the majority of the "New" are exactly just that.
Problem is , they aren't shuffling to Dish the way they should be, or even could be.

Directv has an extra 10 million plus (kind estimate )( 8 million before the merger) customers that Dish should be taking a chunk out of. So why aren't they doing such?

Because Charlie doesn't want to?
Or because they just flat out can't?

As a Business owner, I'm always looking to get that customer that goes down the road.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

That wasn't going after Claude. Claude knows that I actually like him, quite a bit. He is incredibly smart and from what I can tell, keen on business. This was a point in reference to his counter. If I were in the same boat, I'd expect the same, and I would have no problem defending myself the same as Claude has no problem defending himself.

Your correct.

And dish is so desperate for customers they would rather have a customer paying $10 per month for a package they make no money on, then disconnect service.

Reactions: Troch77
Your correct.

And dish is so desperate for customers they would rather have a customer paying $10 per month for a package they make no money on, then disconnect service.
Yes. They'd rather have customers that can at least keep the lights on and break even from, than spend so much money trying to get new customers that actually lose money for them and don't recoup their costs for up to 2 years.

But I suspect that the low-end packs give them a higher profit margin than the traditional packs, based on the channels that are in those packs.

I'll ignore the 10 bucks a month strawman.

Yes. They'd rather have customers that can at least keep the lights on and break even from, than spend so much money trying to get new customers that actually lose money for them and don't recoup their costs for up to 2 years.

But I suspect that the low-end packs give them a higher profit margin than the traditional packs, based on the channels that are in those packs.

I'll ignore the 10 bucks a month strawman.
Well I'm paying $150 under a promo.
That's $1800 in a year.
So you telling me as a new customer none of that is profit?
They made more profit under the guy that spent $240?

If anything, my $1800 paid for that guys $50 package, so he can pay $20.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts