Tribune Broadcasting Company Blacks Out DISH Customers in 33 Markets;

The article says that NY is only 3% Dish. I guess that 9% makes sense if only 15% of the total county is Dish.
Well you figure most big city's will probably have more Cable or fiber than satellite anyway.

But largest 2nd largest City in the world, and you are only in 3% of it.
Well Something is flawed then.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

In NYC, how many people live in "apartment" type dwellings ? Those may be excluded from being able to get satellite easily.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk
Still 3% isn't squat.
You're talking about Manhattan.
Plenty of other Hugely populated single family homes in the boroughs.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Well you figure most big city's will probably have more Cable or fiber than satellite anyway.

But largest 2nd largest City in the world, and you are only in 3% of it.
Well Something is flawed then.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
For what ever strange reason, it appears that Dish doesn't want a part of the NYC market, if they did they would carry the RSNs for that region and if they had to add a RSN "type" fee like DirecTV does. However, it looks like they don't care. Obviously it doesn't fit into their plans.

For what ever strange reason, it appears that Dish doesn't want a part of the NYC market, if they did they would carry the RSNs for that region and if they had to add a RSN "type" fee like DirecTV does. However, it looks like they don't care. Obviously it doesn't fit into their plans.
And that's why Dish will continue to lose customers, and continue to drop channels.

But maybe that's their business plan.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

A friend of mine has Chicago locals on Dish and they never said anything about WGN being off. I don't think they care. They don't watch their news or CW programming, so it's not a priority.

This blackout may show Dish which channels people actually care about and these Tribune channels may not have the value their parent company thinks they do. If stations aren't in demand or get high ratings, I don't know why station groups think they deserve a huge increase with every new contract. In some cases (as with WGN America) a decrease may be in order.

In NYC, how many people live in "apartment" type dwellings ? Those may be excluded from being able to get satellite easily.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

New York city covers long Island, half of nj and a nice chunk of Connecticut and Pennsylvania

And that's why Dish will continue to lose customers, and continue to drop channels.

But maybe that's their business plan.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

I don't see how that correlates. The RSNs have not been available for years. They might not gain many new customers in that market but they should have plateaued as far as losses go due to no NYC area sports networks. That particular DMA is heavily cabled (84.8%) anyway it is only 10.1% ADS. If Dish has 3% of the DMA that would mean that they had approximately 30% of the non cable, non OTA only homes. Ignoring the NYC DMA RSNs is not going to necessary cause any losses elsewhere that have not already occurred over the years those have been unavailable.

I don't see how that correlates. The RSNs have not been available for years. They might not gain many new customers in that market but they should have plateaued as far as losses go due to no NYC area sports networks. That particular DMA is heavily cabled (84.8%) anyway it is only 10.1% ADS. If Dish has 3% of the DMA that would mean that they had approximately 30% of the non cable, non OTA only homes. Ignoring the NYC DMA RSNs is not going to necessary cause any losses elsewhere that have not already occurred over the years those have been unavailable.
You are not going to Gain NY customers if you don't have NY sports.
Period

Customers know this, and that's why they don't even look at Dish as a provider and haven't for Years now.
It's simple to figure this out.

New Yorker's love their sports Teams.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Reactions: reddice
Period

Customers know this, and that's why they don't even look at Dish as a provider and haven't for Years now.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

I know that their growth is over in the NYC DMA. But, your response to my post, in which I was more or less agreeing with you, did not specify NYC area only. Your post inferred that Dish's exclusion of NYC RSNs would retard growth and cause decline in the whole nation and some how cause them to "lose more channels."

I know that their growth is over in the NYC DMA. But, your response to my post, in which I was more or less agreeing with you, did not specify NYC area only. Your post inferred that Dish's exclusion of NYC RSNs would retard growth and cause decline in the whole nation and some how cause them to "lose more channels."

Not everyone loves sports

Period

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Not exactly, I certainly get your point but it's important to add "Customers who want the RSN's..don't even look." DISH has insisted and has carried through with not carrying those and a couple others in other markets because they feel there is not enough customers who won't get DISH because of it. DISH may not have had much more of a penetration in the Market that is covered by those three RSN's even when they had two of them. If it was that clear cut, that DISH is losing enough customers because of not carrying the three NY RSN's they would come to an agreement and get those customers.

Not exactly, I certainly get your point but it's important to add "Customers who want the RSN's..don't even look." DISH has insisted and has carried through with not carrying those and a couple others in other markets because they feel there is not enough customers who won't get DISH because of it. DISH may not have had much more of a penetration in the Market that is covered by those three RSN's even when they had two of them. If it was that clear cut, that DISH is losing enough customers because of not carrying the three NY RSN's they would come to an agreement and get those customers.

Comcast dumped the Yankees..that's probably why sling carries them..I think their crappie record is what's keeping them off dish

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts